TV Discussion Thread

Insane Crazy

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:04 am

Starine wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:I binge-watched Making a Murderer on Netflix. Oof. That was heavy.
I'm trying to watch one episode at a time -- I'm afraid to watch more in one sitting given how affected my friends seemed on Facebook. Especially with my winter-worsened depression, I have to be very careful about the things I watch because it's very easy for certain shows or movies to trigger me.
Yeah, I totally recommend taking it slowly. I also have depression/anxiety and while this specifically didn't trigger me, it TOTALLY sent me on a true crime kick that was probably not terribly healthy. Fascinating, but I spent a lot of time angry when I shouldn't have.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:27 am

The X-Files comes back on Sunday.

SUNDAY.

What a time to be alive.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
stark

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:52 am

Does anybody ever watch NBC, CBS or ABC any more?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BlindLucky

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:00 pm

stark wrote:Does anybody ever watch NBC, CBS or ABC any more?
There are still several decent shows on those networks, there are just so many other options now. FX, FOX, CW, Hulu/Amazon/Netflix original, SyFy, AMC, IFC, HBO, Showtime... toooooo much!
Last edited by BlindLucky on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
pointgivenfan

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Well, their numbers are in the millions of viewers, so...

;)
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
stark

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:05 pm

pointgivenfan wrote:
Well, their numbers are in the millions of viewers, so...

;)
And I'm certainly one of them, the confusing part for me are the Emmy awards shows and threads like this when the Big3 stations never have a show mentioned or so it seems.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Insane Crazy

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:20 pm

The major broadcast networks are having a lot of trouble keeping up with cable and other platforms, in some cases simply because they need to screen more for content (which can water down tone and intrigue) and because more of their greenlight decisions hinge on ad revenue. Obviously, everyone but the subscriptions channels, e.g. HBO and even Netflix, needs to worry about this, but cable networks get some money from the cable/satellite providers and the like. That means that the "Big Three" networks can get a lot more bang for their buck producing things that are a little friendlier to a wider audience base...which can sometimes restrict them from pulling big punches or attracting fancy writers/actors who want to try new things that are hard to sell to basic broadcast. Those newer, more niche stories can be a lot more interesting and groundbreaking, so of course get plenty of awards attention.

It doesn't apply to everything, of course! Scandal, The Good Wife, How to Get Away with Murder, Empire, Modern Family, and others get a lot of love in the awards and the ratings. And rightfully so. =)
Carotene

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:The X-Files comes back on Sunday.

SUNDAY.

What a time to be alive.
YES!!! So psyched!

My sister has been telling me for awhile now to read Terry Brooks, and I just haven't got around to it yet. A commercial for the Shannara Chronicles caught my eye so I recorded the 2 hour premiere. Count me as officially hooked!!! I only get MTV as analog and it never comes in clear so I was pleasantly surprised to find I could stream it from MTV! So can my sister - we discuss each episode and now I'm definitely going to start reading his books. :)
Formerly Play the King
Somnambulist

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Carotene wrote: My sister has been telling me for awhile now to read Terry Brooks, and I just haven't got around to it yet. A commercial for the Shannara Chronicles caught my eye so I recorded the 2 hour premiere. Count me as officially hooked!!! I only get MTV as analog and it never comes in clear so I was pleasantly surprised to find I could stream it from MTV! So can my sister - we discuss each episode and now I'm definitely going to start reading his books. :)
I am maybe not the best endorsement, but I really couldn't stand a single one of those books in that series.. and I tried. My parents are really big fantasy nerds and I tried reading Brooks as a kid, again as a teenager, and again during Sandy when I had no power.

Reading him is like being insulted by someone much stupider than you.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm

I didn't read the books, so I've come into watching the series with no preconceptions. Have to say the the production values are nicely high and it's very pretty (as are the actors ;) ). Of course, it never hurts to film in New Zealand's spectacular scenery.
dustino140

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:21 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:The major broadcast networks are having a lot of trouble keeping up with cable and other platforms, in some cases simply because they need to screen more for content (which can water down tone and intrigue) and because more of their greenlight decisions hinge on ad revenue. Obviously, everyone but the subscriptions channels, e.g. HBO and even Netflix, needs to worry about this, but cable networks get some money from the cable/satellite providers and the like. That means that the "Big Three" networks can get a lot more bang for their buck producing things that are a little friendlier to a wider audience base...which can sometimes restrict them from pulling big punches or attracting fancy writers/actors who want to try new things that are hard to sell to basic broadcast. Those newer, more niche stories can be a lot more interesting and groundbreaking, so of course get plenty of awards attention.

It doesn't apply to everything, of course! Scandal, The Good Wife, How to Get Away with Murder, Empire, Modern Family, and others get a lot of love in the awards and the ratings. And rightfully so. =)
It is interesting and you're right...the envelope everyone else can push, but ABC/NBC/CBS can't is extraordinary. Plus, Netflix can flop on a bunch of shows and it's fine...they don't have advertisers to answer to, per se.

The only 'network' shows I try to stay up with are Blacklist (although I watch on Netflix), Scorpion (falling behind) and Blind Spot (way behind).

Less than 2 months until Daredevil drops!
Insane Crazy

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:56 pm

dustino140 wrote:It is interesting and you're right...the envelope everyone else can push, but ABC/NBC/CBS can't is extraordinary. Plus, Netflix can flop on a bunch of shows and it's fine...they don't have advertisers to answer to, per se.

The only 'network' shows I try to stay up with are Blacklist (although I watch on Netflix), Scorpion (falling behind) and Blind Spot (way behind).

Less than 2 months until Daredevil drops!
The bummer is, of course, that the Big Three/Five (if you include Fox and The CW) CAN produce great shows even without the grit and whatnot. Shows like Firefly still have people chomping at the bit for more. The X-Files, even. They just sometimes really, really miss the mark, and when you're missing the mark AND not exploring new avenues...it's reaaaaalll boring.

I do love Elementary, and I've heard tons of good things about Blacklist and others. Also, The CW has apparently been doing a bang-up job for what it is worth. The 100 has a strong following with lots of praise, they've done a much better job with Arrow and The Flash than ABC has with SHIELD, and honestly, Jane the Virgin is one of my favorite shows on TV, period. But they do have the benefit of targeting a pretty strongly specific younger audience -- ABC, CBS, and NBC are going after the same broad range.

And you're right on the money re: Netflix. They don't need to bring a billion viewers to a show, as long as they retain subscribers. They'll even give those flops second and third seasons if they have decent critical return -- why not? Keep those niche fans happy.
Charlie

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:05 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I didn't read the books, so I've come into watching the series with no preconceptions. Have to say the the production values are nicely high and it's very pretty (as are the actors ;) ). Of course, it never hurts to film in New Zealand's spectacular scenery.

It is definitely a pretty show to watch. I never read the books but enjoy the show so far.

Surprised how nice the CGI is for MTV but they are putting out better stuff. Teen Wolf is another show of there's that's pretty good (Not as good as most but a guilty pleasure lol).

Super excited The 100 is back, same with Supernatural.
Insane Crazy

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:34 pm

Steven Moffat is leaving Doctor Who! To be replaced with Chris Chibnall, the creator of the stunning and intricate Broadchurch!

BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:48 pm

Can we talk about Game of Thrones, now that it's been six days since the season finale? :!:
SPOILERS...stop here if you haven't watched the last episodes.

* So...I thought this season has been great, with almost no chaff. Loved the righteous revenge brought to Roose Bolton and Walder Frey. Pretty satisfying to watch the creepy High Sparrow go out like the Nazi officers at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie. Not so happy about all the collateral damage wrought by Cersai's vengeance.
* Speaking of which...from the beginning, Cersei has been depicted as obsessed with protecting her children. After what she did, and knowing that her son was a tender-hearted, sensitive sort, why in hell would she have left him alone? She had to know that he would be distraught. :?
* Dany is finally headed west, and she has stated her intentions to 'seal an alliance' in Westeros with marriage. But, since all the great houses now have few...or no...male heirs left alive, who is she going to marry!?
* There are no Baratheons, unless that bastard blacksmith who Ser Davos saved from the Red Woman surfaces. Also no Tyrell or Martell males.
Jaime and Tyrion Lannister are still alive, but I'm pretty sure Dany won't marry the Kingslayer. And though it's tempting to think that Tyrion, after all the abuse he has endured, could end up with The Girl, I doubt that Westeros is going to want to see a Lannister anywhere near the throne after everything that has happened.
The Vale's Robin Aeryn probably shouldn't be allowed to reproduce, so a big NO there.
That leaves John Snow or Bran Stark. Bran has lost the use of his legs, but we don't know if that has also meant the loss of reproductive ability. But he might not be available due to being the Three-Eyed Raven...too many magical responsibilities?
* So...Jon Snow? There is a feeling of destiny about Jon and Dany hooking up, but...Game of Thrones is not a fairytale. That is too much like a classic Happily Ever After, and I doubt that will happen. From what I've read, it seems like a great sacrifice...Dany or Jon?...may have to happen to defeat the Night King.

Sorry for the length...guess I've had a lot bottled up. :lol: Since none of my family or friends are into GoT, I've had no one with whom to talk about the show.
Somnambulist

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:13 pm

In the books there is another male Targaryen who is being hidden. I wonder if they introduce him. I also thought that Dany couldn't have kids, per season 1. I agree Jon and Dany is too fairytale but doubt that it happens anyway.

Gendry is still alive as far as I know so there is a Baratheon somewhere.

This season really was absolutely dynamite. Amazing set-up and I am beyond sad I have to wait another year for more awesomeness. It's a battle of Queens. I figure that Dany is going to run into Euron Greyjoy, who has the horn that drives the dragons crazy relatively early next season. I figure Jamie kills Cersei eventually because his character has come a long way and everyone hates her anyway. Littlefinger will betray Sansa. I thought Ayra's storyline was utterly pointless after she left the house of black and white but WOW. I hope she gets to Cersei before Jamie.

There is a fan theory that Tyrion is actually a Targaryen too. Which makes sense why the dragons listened to him when he unchained them. Dany and Jon are not so stupid as to destroy each other... Sam will tell them all how to kill the white walkers, and Jon and Dany (and either Tyrion or Bran) will ride the the dragons to kill all the White Walkers. I'm excited for how they do this. It seems to "obvious" how it'll play out but you know it won't be.
BlindLucky

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:51 pm

And now I'm hoping Mr. George. R.R. Slowpoke's final books live up to the TV show :?
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Ah...Littlefinger.
That man is so obsessed with gaining the Iron Throne that I don't think there is anything he won't do. Or hasn't already done.
We already know that he had John Aeryn poisoned, and I've wondered if that wasn't the first time he used poison to further his ambitions. Do you remember Maester Aemon talking about his nephew Aerys, the Mad King? He said that his nephew had been a good king and his descent into madness seemed troubling to the old maester.
Someone with whom Petyr Baelish had dealings was that corrupt maester, Pycelle. And Pycelle had been maester to the kings since Aerys...always hovering, always whispering in their ears. Could Littlefinger have conspired with Pycelle to slowly poison Aerys, both mentally and physically, causing his ever-increasing paranoia and madness?
Getting rid of the Targaryens would have been a big step toward Littlefinger's ultimate goal; sitting on the Iron Throne.
Could we see Petyr Baelish's treachery finally comes to light after Dany takes the throne? I could envision her seating him on the throne he's long coveted...then tying him to it and letting those whose lives his plots have ravaged come in and, one by one, stick a knife into him. I imagine that Lady Olenna Tyrell and Sansa Stark would have no problem.
Just leave him alive long enough for Dany to feed him to Drogon. :twisted:
Somnambulist

Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:43 pm

IMO Dany taking the throne is the most cliche ending possible. I don't think it'll be her.
sweettalk

Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:11 am

i expect her to change her mind once she gets there about having the throne. but i do expect her to be in the position to take it if she wants it.