TV Discussion Thread

Insane Crazy

Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:44 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:Finished Stranger Things. I enjoy it plenty, but it feels like an A+ show in a B show body. It could just be a lot stronger for me. Since I think most shows are B- or less, that's still praise, lol, but stilllll. I hope season two proves me wrong!

Dustin, however, is my one true son. Him and Curlin. I will protect them from everything.
Oh God yes. I totally agree regarding Stranger Things.

I think I have read 20+ King novels in my life so wasnt sure if I was being fair in feeling like it was just the same old.
I think it has some really strong ideas and I would say that the core of the whole thing is there. It just feels, I dunno. Slightly unpolished? I don't especially like or care as much as I should, about as many people or stories as I should. Relying on tropes to play around is cool, but you gotta really sell the emotional arcs for each character if you're going to do that--otherwise, yeah, it just feels slightly stale. That's where I am.

I loved the three different worlds, though. Kids are in a Goonies adventure, teenagers are in a monster hunting camp horror, and the adults are in a conspiracy thriller. I dig that.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
BlindLucky

Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:56 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:Finished Stranger Things. I enjoy it plenty, but it feels like an A+ show in a B show body. It could just be a lot stronger for me. Since I think most shows are B- or less, that's still praise, lol, but stilllll. I hope season two proves me wrong!

Dustin, however, is my one true son. Him and Curlin. I will protect them from everything.
Oh God yes. I totally agree regarding Stranger Things.

I think I have read 20+ King novels in my life so wasnt sure if I was being fair in feeling like it was just the same old.
I think it has some really strong ideas and I would say that the core of the whole thing is there. It just feels, I dunno. Slightly unpolished? I don't especially like or care as much as I should, about as many people or stories as I should. Relying on tropes to play around is cool, but you gotta really sell the emotional arcs for each character if you're going to do that--otherwise, yeah, it just feels slightly stale. That's where I am.

I loved the three different worlds, though. Kids are in a Goonies adventure, teenagers are in a monster hunting camp horror, and the adults are in a conspiracy thriller. I dig that.
Maybe because I'm about twice the age of both of you and grew up in the 80s (and I think that may really have something huge to do with it), but I LOVED Stranger Things and was a bit obsessed with it :lol:

I don't think I noticed the flaws because I was so enamored with the feel of everything, even the slightly keyboardy score :D
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Insane Crazy

Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:02 pm

I love playing with tropes, and I loooove 80s horror/supernatural stuff, and yes, I looove the soundtrack, ahaha. I don't hate it at all, it just didn't get me like I really, really wanted it to. I totally respect that lots of people clearly loved it.

That said, film school ruined most TV for me, so that's partially my problem. And this is basically how I feel about most horror-y and supernatural-y stuff these days. It takes a lot to knock me over.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Somnambulist

Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Well idk about that. :D My sister loved it, my boyfriend loved it, and both of parents really liked it (my dad like it was most confusing but go Dad!).

I read A LOT of horror-type stories so maybe that's why? I think IC is that it has a lot of promise and just feels rough around the edges. I recently re-watching all of GoT too, though, and that also felt rough season 1. Bigger budgets mean better things. My sister works in TV, a lot of our mutual friends work in the field, and she has a degree in film and she's unfortunately ruined me.

Maybe I sound snotty..

I actually really liked the soundtrack. There are some crazy "EDM" (I hate the term but really love the genre) mixes of the theme song out there.
ThreeMustangs

Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:18 pm

Project Runway is back--yayyy! And they started off with the unconventional challenge.
Prairie Bayou

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:33 pm

The Flash is coming back Tuesday!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Insane Crazy

Wed May 10, 2017 8:33 pm

This thread hasn't been updated in eons, but...

SENSE8
starrydreamer

Wed May 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Anyone watching American Gods? I love the concept of it, and my sister's favorite author is Neil Gaiman, but it is so weird. I'll probably keep watching because of Gillian Anderson and because I'll watch anything from Bryan Fuller.

I got really sucked into Thirteen Reasons Why and I have some mixed feelings about it, but overall, I think the teenaged me would have really liked it. People object to it because it is all about suicide and rape and alcohol, but they think teens aren't already thinking about these things?
BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 11, 2017 1:22 am

I WISH I could watch American Gods. I don't get Starz, and adding it to my satellite package is just too much $$$$ right now.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been renewed for another season. :D
BlindLucky

Fri May 12, 2017 2:55 pm

SyFy has had a good run lately with some of their best shows in years, PLUS they continue to renew them :D

The Expanse is fantastic, Killjoys is fun with some great cast chemistry, Dark Matter keeps getting more twisted, and even though I liked the books, I love The Magicians (the show).
BlindLucky

Fri May 12, 2017 2:57 pm

And did anyone watch Legion and come out on the other side with their sanity intact? I loved it, even though I didn't know WTF was going on half the time.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 12, 2017 4:24 pm

Yes, Legion was wonderful, with a lyrically twisting story development. Even when I wasn't sure if the scene I was watching was a memory, a fantasy or reality, it was always compelling to watch.
You're right about SyFy...they have left the cheesy stuff behind and are doing some of the best storytelling around, and not just in the fantasy/science fiction genre.
The Expanse has been so well-written and acted, with amazing graphics and effects. I wonder if we will ever see Miller's character again, maybe in a new, rather alien, incarnation? ;)
Prairie Bayou

Fri May 12, 2017 6:04 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been renewed for another season. :D

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope they bring back Ward. I really miss him. For more than just a special occasion. Maybe turn him into an android?
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Big Ten

Sat May 13, 2017 10:02 am

Just waiting for Season 7 of Game of Thrones and Season 4 of Silicon Valley. I think Man Seeking Woman stopped being funny after Season 1. Season 3 feels kinda bleh and worse than S2 which wasn't a season I liked. I will still download them from Piratebay to store into my 2tb external hard drive along with the corny but with Naked Gun LOL moments of Angie Tribeca. Surreal comedy is pretty funny to me.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
BlindLucky

Sun May 14, 2017 1:43 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: The Expanse has been so well-written and acted, with amazing graphics and effects. I wonder if we will ever see Miller's character again, maybe in a new, rather alien, incarnation? ;)
Oh, I hope so! I had my fingers crossed the whole way through the season finale for this exact thing :lol:
BlindLucky

Sun May 14, 2017 2:27 am

I'm a bit behind on Once Upon a Time, but um... these characters are NOT returning next season? So basically, the whole focus of the show?

Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison)
Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin)
Prince Charming (Josh Dallas)
Henry (Jared Gilmore)
Belle (Emilie de Ravin)
Zelena (Rebecca Mader)
BaroqueAgain1

Sun May 14, 2017 1:49 pm

So, the whole Charming family, plus Belle? And yet...Captain Hook's character is still going to be on the show? Without his True Love and Wife, Emma? Confusing. :?
canvasjockey

Sun May 14, 2017 11:37 pm

BlindLucky wrote:And did anyone watch Legion and come out on the other side with their sanity intact? I loved it, even though I didn't know WTF was going on half the time.
Loved Legion! Normally I don't like when shows/movies get so weird you don't know what's going on, but this acid trip was a really fun ride AND they actually managed to bring it around to where it make some sense!

Glad Agents of SHIELD is coming back too, wish they'd continued with Agent Carter.
Carole ~ Equine Artist
Website/Blog - Facebook - Prints and Originals on Etsy & Fine Art America

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields</div>
starrydreamer

Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 am

BlindLucky wrote:I'm a bit behind on Once Upon a Time, but um... these characters are NOT returning next season? So basically, the whole focus of the show?

Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison)
Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin)
Prince Charming (Josh Dallas)
Henry (Jared Gilmore)
Belle (Emilie de Ravin)
Zelena (Rebecca Mader)
They're going to focus on Hook, Gold/Rumple (or whatever his name is), and Regina. They really should have just ended the show.

Master of None season 2 is out! First, I need to finish Anne With An E... although I'm not sure how I feel about this "grittier" version. Part of the magic of the books is that everything was so nice, even when sad things happened. But I also don't like how badly the original 1980s movies veered away from the books (although I miss that romantical theme song).

Big problem with Anne With an E - they turned Billy Andrews into a bully. In the books, he was a very agreeable, nice guy, who was considered a bit "simple." He got his sister to propose to Anne in the book where Anne got proposed to by all the men. I suppose they wanted to have an antagonist, but again, the Anne series didn't really have any. Which, sure, isn't reality, but if I wanted mean, I'd rewatch 13 Reasons Why.