1 cup spring or bottled water
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup small spearmint leaves, no stems
Finely crushed or shaved ice, enough to fill the cups completely
High-quality Kentucky bourbon like Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve
Sprigs of spearmint
Metal julep cups, about 9 ounces, preferably silver

Preparation

The day before serving, or even earlier, put the julep cups in the freezer. Put the water and sugar in a small saucepan, bring to a boil without stirring, and boil for 2 minutes, or until sugar is completely dissolved.
Put the mint leaves in a glass jar or cup, pour the slightly cooled syrup over them, let cool, then cover and refrigerate for 12 hours or longer. When ready to use, strain out the mint leaves.
Half an hour before serving, pack the julep cups tightly up to the rim with crushed ice and return them to the freezer.
For each julep pour 3 ounces of bourbon over the ice, followed by two teaspoons of mint syrup. Do not stir or agitate. Use a cloth to hold each cup by the rim so as not to disturb the frost. Use a short straw or a chopstick to make a hole in the ice on the side of the cup and insert a sprig of mint. Serve immediately, preferably on a silver tray.

Just for those old enough, of course. :)
Senator L

Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:18 pm

Wow, that's a serious reciepe :mrgreen: I'll have to give it try this derby
Thanks
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
SunKing

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:26 am

Am I the only horse racing fan who despises Mint Juleps? And I like a lot of different adult beverages. I don't like Mojitos either so that could have something to do with it. But my biggest memory is when I spent $8 on one at the 2004 Derby just to say I tried it and proceeded to take two sips and dump the rest of it onto the infield and of course, kept the glass. :D
Senator L

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:34 am

I haven't met anyone who likes them, just tradition :D
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
Somnambulist

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 am

SunKing wrote:Am I the only horse racing fan who despises Mint Juleps? And I like a lot of different adult beverages. I don't like Mojitos either so that could have something to do with it. But my biggest memory is when I spent $8 on one at the 2004 Derby just to say I tried it and proceeded to take two sips and dump the rest of it onto the infield and of course, kept the glass. :D
No, I don't like them and I like mojitos a lot. The joy of bourbon and whiskey is that I can enjoy it over a lengthy course of time and the taste is fine by itself. I find that they're complex and balanced enough in flavor (usually) that I have no idea why would need to add mint.
Somnambulist

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 am

Senator L wrote:I haven't met anyone who likes them, just tradition :D
I've toured a few distilleries (smell is so good) and people say they like them. But they are weird people.
swale1984

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:53 pm

SunKing wrote:Am I the only horse racing fan who despises Mint Juleps? And I like a lot of different adult beverages. I don't like Mojitos either so that could have something to do with it. But my biggest memory is when I spent $8 on one at the 2004 Derby just to say I tried it and proceeded to take two sips and dump the rest of it onto the infield and of course, kept the glass. :D

Nope. My ex made them one year and I almost threw up after one sip. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of mint anyway, so that may have had something to do with it. My Derby tradition is to make a batch of burgoo.
Smarty Deb

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:10 pm

I'm one of those weirdos that enjoys a well made mint julep. Just like most bourbon cocktails they should be savored after the ice has melted a bit and the flavors have melded.

Do yourself a favor and pass on the juleps in the commemorative glass and get the hand muddled version made with Woodford Reserve.
Insane Crazy

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:50 pm

Thank goodness they still serve the Oaks drink (not sure what it's called -- the Lily?) on Derby day. That is tasty. No mint juleps for me, thanks.

ETA: Just remembered my first "mint julep" was actually a booze-free version my dorm cafeteria tried to approximate for a Derby-themed gourmet food night. Having had time to think it over, I'm pretty sure drinking a mint julep and not even having the up side of getting tipsy is the punishment in a minor circle of hell.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Starine

Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:01 am

I hated the one mint julep I had, but then again I don't have much of a taste for alcohol either.
perfectsoul

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:19 pm

I also like mojitos so I don't know why mint juleps don't do it for me. I do find the Oaks Lily to be yummy though.

OAKS LILY
1 1/4 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Sweet and Sour Mix
1/4 oz. Triple Sec

3 oz. Cranberry Juice

Once the ingredients are mixed, place the cocktail stemless wine glass with crushed ice, add a straw and garnish with a blackberry and lemon wedge.

Caution: You can suck these bad boys down pretty easily, so I recommend that you exercise caution, lol.
Ballerina

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:25 pm

perfectsoul wrote:I also like mojitos so I don't know why mint juleps don't do it for me. I do find the Oaks Lily to be yummy though.

OAKS LILY
1 1/4 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Sweet and Sour Mix
1/4 oz. Triple Sec

3 oz. Cranberry Juice

Once the ingredients are mixed, place the cocktail stemless wine glass with crushed ice, add a straw and garnish with a blackberry and lemon wedge.

Caution: You can suck these bad boys down pretty easily, so I recommend that you exercise caution, lol.
OH! That sounds good - like a Cosmo. I was gifted with a silver KD mint julep cup, but I don't like mint juleps. Will try this instead.