OMG!! Mom is having a stroke!!!

ElPrado2

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:10 pm

She just left on the way to the hospital!
Catalina

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Sending prayers!
serenassong

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Sorry about that- let us know what happens- I assume that you will be going to the hospital in short order.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:34 pm

That's scary...hopefully, she will receive the medication that helps alleviate the effects of a stroke when administered promptly, and she recovers completely.
Sheepish

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Prayers, positive thoughts, and all that. Hoping for the best for you.
ElPrado2

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:59 pm

Ok, an update.
Some of you know my mother has terminal lung cancer.
What is fatal with lung cancer is not what happens with the lung, but that it spreads to the brain.
The hospital says she had a seizure. They are keeping her until they find out what caused the seizure. She has had 3 so far tonight. She recently had a severe fall that caused a large patch of skin on one leg to peel loose. She tried to use her walker rather than her wheel chair and lost balance. Too stubborn to ask us to get her into the other room.
We have been having a visiting nurse practitioner in daily to dress the wound on her leg. That does not seem to be a problem. They want to keep her in until they figure out what is going on, then they will send her home.
I have been getting worried about the brain involvement lately, too. She is having more trouble gripping things with her right hand.
I am not having a good time lately. This is tough.
Catalina

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:43 am

I am sorry, EP, that is a terrible thing to go through, and to watch someone else suffering through.
Pebbles

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm sorry as well. I know you must feel helpless.
Do you have Sphynx cats? I have five rescues. Saw your photo
Man o Taz

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Prayers are with you and yours EP.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
ElPrado2

Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Just came back from visiting my mother. She did know I was there. She is intubated and heavily sedated. They said they are working on getting the tube out. My brother was almost human to me, which is a change.
islandgirl45

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:31 am

Sending good thoughts to you and your mom, ElPrado.
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
ElPrado2

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:58 pm

I hope my mothers Dr never sees me. I would be in jail for murder right after.
The witch had a DNR order on her. The first I had heard of it. My brother had not heard of it either. She just did not want to bother with a terminally ill patient. We rescinded it. She is not that bad off.
God, I am so upset right now.
Life At Zen

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm confused. Are you saying the Dr put a DNR on your mother? Only the patient can agree to that or if they cannot, then their POA can.

Either your Dr was mistaken or your mom had a DNR signed before this all happened.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
ElPrado2

Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:56 pm

My mother did not do it, believe me. There was not one yesterday before we were there. That means my wonderful brother did it yesterday while we were there, behind our backs.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:58 pm

* One would think that it was your mother who had that paperwork done, and the doctor, due to patient privacy laws, could not tell you that without your mother's instructions to do so.
* I'm not saying it's impossible that this doctor has done something shady but, usually, family members have to fight the medical establishment to respect a DNR.
* All too often, the team in an emergency room or ICU will go to the default position of doing everything possible to keep a patient alive, even the extreme measures that might be against the patient's wishes. You sort of have to shove the DNR paperwork under their nose(s) and metaphorically jump up and down and holler, invoking lawyers, etc., to get them to back off.
* ElPrado, I wish you and your mother the best, and I hope that she is kept as free of suffering as possible. I've had to deal with a parent in failing health; when a loved one is hospitalized, it is difficult and draining to try to track everything that is being done...or not done...for your loved one. Stay strong.

ETA: Sorry, I was typing while you were posting, EP. If your brother has Power of Attorney for Health, I guess he could have done it.
Sounds like you and brother need to have a serious conversation...for your Mom's sake, I hope you can find common ground and understanding.
Life At Zen

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:49 pm

^ ditto

General rule is you need to see the DNR form with your own eyes before you stop life saving measures
It's to save your own ass. Cause god help you if you just assume there's a DNR when there isn't!
ElPrado2

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:28 pm

For the first time in recorded history, a hospital admitted a mistake.

They do not know how they got the idea that they had a dnr. What they did have was an order to not use chest compression due to fragile bones.
She yanked her own chest tube out at 5 AM this morning. She is actually doing much better than they expected.
Somehow, someone, they do not say who, got the idea that there was a dnr. I believe they put some special colored band on her to tell them if there is one, and they had the wrong idea.
Theoretically, there was a mix up.
Ok, she is 85.
I looked worse than she does when I was first hospitalized with my seizures 6 years ago. I was on total life support for 5 days with something called status epilepticus. That is grand mal epilepsy on steroids, from what I understand.
Mom is awake, attempting to communicate, and telling them she is thirsty. She also blew all kinds of IV lines yanking the chest tube out herself and her arms look like she had a fight with a wrecking ball. One giant bruise down each arm.
I am still upset, but at least the dnr is no longer there.
Life At Zen

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Good to hear, EP. That could have been a serious mistake if it had not been looked into properly. I am glad to hear the hospital took responsibility for their mistake.

Best wishes to your mom.
EquineAnne

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 pm

The chest tube she yanked isn't the ventilator tube, is it? If so, good grief! God bless all, EP.
ElPrado2

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:26 am

Yes, she yanked out her own ventilator tube. Scared them silly. Her bed is also smack in front of the nurse desk, too.
My family seems to have a tendency towards doing strange things in hospitals. I was left in front of the MRI room once by my transporter because she was being run off her feet due to several of her co workers being absent with the flu. Normally there was more help, but she was extremely busy.
I sat there at least 30 minutes staring at a blank wall. I got bored. I got out of my wheelchair, stumped up a hall, found the elevators, went up to the 9th floor, and was within sight of the last corner away from my room before the head nurse and her #1 assistant came pelting around the corner hunting me. I had them thinking I had escaped. I almost gave the head neurology nurse a seizure herself that day. Now the transporter has to stay with the patient at all times. They watch anyone with my last name very closely now.