Random News about Breeding and Breeders

User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3407
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Weatherly Farm is dispersing its AQHA and thoroughbred stock.

https://internethorseauctions.com/aucti ... ?aucid=347
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:10 pm

This article is a couple weeks old but I think it's cool because it discusses the history of Bashford Manor.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... osing-day/
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3407
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Marylou Whitney, Queen of Saratoga, Dies At 93
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... dies-at-93
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
stark
Posts: 5199
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:04 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Wonder how much the insurance cost on that flight?
Izvestia
Posts: 4045
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm

It’s dumb advertising to say “the only two living TC winners”... because the last winner before those two was born in ‘75.
RugbyGirl
Posts: 803
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:58 pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:38 am

Fair to say it has been a tough couple of weeks for Cambridge Stud owners Brendan and Jo Lindsay
https://www.racingnews.co.nz/blog/post/ ... ud-couple/

The Lindsay’s, their family and some close friends along with all of the staff at the Stud had gathered to welcome their newest stallion arrival, European Horse of the Year Roaring Lion, who would be standing for the first time in the Southern Hemisphere at the Cambridge operation.
“There we were, all looking fantastic in our uniforms and ready to welcome Roaring Lion to Cambridge Stud,” Brendan Lindsay said. “Thirty minutes later the horse was in serious trouble and we were battling to save his life after he suffered a colic attack. That scenario isn’t something that you can prepare for and what promised to be a really neat day nearly turned into a tragedy.”
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
User avatar
Retrospectiv
Posts: 614
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 am

Izvestia wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm
It’s dumb advertising to say “the only two living TC winners”... because the last winner before those two was born in ‘75.
LOL, no sillier than how they'd been advertising American Pharoah early on as the "only Grand Slam of racing winner in history". No mention that there was no Breeders Cup back in the 70s ..... :D
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3407
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:22 am

Mylute wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:33 pm
OK so, update on Stonewall's Pestige via neighbors on Facebook.

The owner, Richard, and his wife declared bankruptcy and the property was possessed. It has been sold. The new owners of the farm have spent the last week or two cleaning it out and regrouping.

The stallions aren't at the property anymore. The website is still up though. The stallions that remained at SP after half of them moved to "Oakton, Florida's newest farm" (?) are as follows: Kubbutznik, Shades of Night, Doneraille Court, Lord of Greatness, and Telling.

This property is cursed.
Lord of Greatness has been sold to West Virginia.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3189
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm

Mylute wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:22 am
Mylute wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:33 pm
OK so, update on Stonewall's Pestige via neighbors on Facebook.

The owner, Richard, and his wife declared bankruptcy and the property was possessed. It has been sold. The new owners of the farm have spent the last week or two cleaning it out and regrouping.

The stallions aren't at the property anymore. The website is still up though. The stallions that remained at SP after half of them moved to "Oakton, Florida's newest farm" (?) are as follows: Kubbutznik, Shades of Night, Doneraille Court, Lord of Greatness, and Telling.

This property is cursed.
Lord of Greatness has been sold to West Virginia.
Think its the owners not the farm. I'm sure its not easy to run a Thoroughbred Farm but this isn't the first time they have had really bad money problems. I'm pretty sure this is the farm that got sued for adding Woodford to its name at one point when there was already another stallion farm in Florida named Woodford. It is definitely the same group that had a farm in Kentucky and stood MDO before selling him to Darley and had to sell Leroidesanimaux because of defaulting on loans. https://www.drf.com/news/stonewall-owne ... desanimaux
swale1984
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:49 am

Retrospectiv wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 am
Izvestia wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm
It’s dumb advertising to say “the only two living TC winners”... because the last winner before those two was born in ‘75.
LOL, no sillier than how they'd been advertising American Pharoah early on as the "only Grand Slam of racing winner in history". No mention that there was no Breeders Cup back in the 70s ..... :D
Also touting Justify as the "only undefeated TC winner". Easy to say that when you never raced past the Belmont. At least Slew and Affirmed were sound and stuck around for 4 year old seasons!
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3407
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Izvestia wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm
It’s dumb advertising to say “the only two living TC winners”... because the last winner before those two was born in ‘75.
And if they're going to say that then they need to say "United States TC" because ahem Bal a Bali is still alive, up until recently both of SoKo's were alive, Orfevre is still here and Deep Impact was until recently, etc.

Also Bal a Bali was undefeated when he won his TC. He only lost when he ran on dirt here, so he's technically undefeated in his homeland.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
vfan
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:41 pm

swale1984 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:49 am
Also touting Justify as the "only undefeated TC winner". Easy to say that when you never raced past the Belmont. At least Slew and Affirmed were sound and stuck around for 4 year old seasons!
Yeah, every time I see those ads it rubs in more salt. I know intellectually and economically the only purpose we fans serve in the reality of the "race to breed, breed to sell" ecosystem is to be the source of the purse money with our bets, and maybe now and then produce a new owner. We're not their target audience for those ads.

But it'd be nice not to be constantly reminded of the fun and fandom we no longer get to have.
Post Reply