2018 foals

User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6068
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:52 am

Harris D. Auerbach @AuerHeat
14h14 hours ago
I just arrived back in the country to find a picture of Foal #8 waiting for me. Born on 3/29, he's a big, pretty colt by Animal Kingdom out of Serious Heat (Unusual Heat). #AuerbachBred #ValkyreStud @DarleyStallions – at World Cruise Terminal
Image
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6068
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:33 am

Coolmore Retweeted
Olive Gallagher @Frankfortpark
50m50 minutes ago
#29 Lickin' good filly by @coolmoreamerica Vancouver out of half sister to Sunland Oaks 2nd Scat Means Go #easterbaby #10togo
Image
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4760
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:07 pm

TapitsGal wrote:Yuck QB one is a terrible name and not very imaginative
All I could think of was:

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2659
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:50 am

Bird Town is making me nervous, she got up from resting and her left hind seemed ouchy - her groom/attendant came by to clean her stall right after she got up, and he noticed and watched her for a bit, and she had something on her butt near her tail so he looked at that and then came back and cleaned her up. It looked maybe just like poo but then some of it looked maybe blood? So I'm hoping it was just the cam.

She doesn't seem bothered at all and is eating hay, and putting more weight on her leg/foot so maybe it was just asleep (it was the leg under her while she was resting)... she's 18 though and she's had 12 foals and I'm just a little nervous.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6068
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Tom Ryan @TomRyanKY
23m23 minutes ago
True Style is a 1/2 sister to the great Scat Daddy, Sire of 25 Group 1 winners and counting. She foaled a good Bernardini filly last night at Atlas Farm. True Style will visit FLINTSHIRE in 2018. His foals are good and we’re supporting him with conviction
#SF 5xG1w
Image
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6068
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Robert Knolhoff Jr. @RKnolhoffJr
Follow Follow @RKnolhoffJr
Gorgeous Kentucky afternoon hanging with this American Pharoah 1/2 bro to Gr1 winners Certify and Cry and Catch Me.
Robert Knolhoff Jr. @RKnolhoffJr
57m57 minutes ago
The amazing Please Sign In, dam of Gr1 winners on both sides of the Atlantic, with her colt by the 2015 Triple Crown winner.
Image
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4556
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:57 pm

That's a very good looking colt!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1784
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:30 pm

All the AP foals I've seen photos of look really well-balanced. (Of course, maybe there are a lot of crooked gangly ones that haven't been posted!)

Just want to say that a friend just got a call from Coolmore yesterday and we're on their May 2 tour! AP in the morning and Chrome in the afternoon--I don't know if I'll be able to stand it!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1785
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Diver52 wrote:All the AP foals I've seen photos of look really well-balanced. (Of course, maybe there are a lot of crooked gangly ones that haven't been posted!)

Just want to say that a friend just got a call from Coolmore yesterday and we're on their May 2 tour! AP in the morning and Chrome in the afternoon--I don't know if I'll be able to stand it!
I am so jealous! Lots of photos, please.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:50 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:Bird Town is making me nervous, she got up from resting and her left hind seemed ouchy - her groom/attendant came by to clean her stall right after she got up, and he noticed and watched her for a bit, and she had something on her butt near her tail so he looked at that and then came back and cleaned her up. It looked maybe just like poo but then some of it looked maybe blood? So I'm hoping it was just the cam.

She doesn't seem bothered at all and is eating hay, and putting more weight on her leg/foot so maybe it was just asleep (it was the leg under her while she was resting)... she's 18 though and she's had 12 foals and I'm just a little nervous.
Right now at 7:50PM eastern time, Bird Town looks fine. She is standing and looking out the door that goes outside to the paddocks. There is a breeze blowing into her stall, gently ruffling her mane and forelock. She seems content. Her ribs are showing a bit. I don't know if that's normal for a pregnant mare or just because she's older, or what. But she looks good otherwise.
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2659
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks Ridan - I was actually watching earlier when they brought her in from the paddock, she was walking just fine. I guess maybe it was just her hoof/leg was semi-asleep from being under her while she rested.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6068
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:35 pm

Diver52 wrote:All the AP foals I've seen photos of look really well-balanced. (Of course, maybe there are a lot of crooked gangly ones that haven't been posted!)

Just want to say that a friend just got a call from Coolmore yesterday and we're on their May 2 tour! AP in the morning and Chrome in the afternoon--I don't know if I'll be able to stand it!
Oh how fun! I'm sure you'll have a great time...can't wait to hear all about it.
TBird
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 am

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Right now at 7:50PM eastern time, Bird Town looks fine. She is standing and looking out the door that goes outside to the paddocks. There is a breeze blowing into her stall, gently ruffling her mane and forelock. She seems content. Her ribs are showing a bit. I don't know if that's normal for a pregnant mare or just because she's older, or what. But she looks good otherwise.
It's totally normal for the ribs to show in late pregnancy because the weight of the foal makes the "belly" drop which draw the skin quite tight over the ribcage.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:23 pm

TBird wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote: Right now at 7:50PM eastern time, Bird Town looks fine. She is standing and looking out the door that goes outside to the paddocks. There is a breeze blowing into her stall, gently ruffling her mane and forelock. She seems content. Her ribs are showing a bit. I don't know if that's normal for a pregnant mare or just because she's older, or what. But she looks good otherwise.
It's totally normal for the ribs to show in late pregnancy because the weight of the foal makes the "belly" drop which draw the skin quite tight over the ribcage.
Thanks TBird. Pregnant mares and foaling are not something I'm familiar with closely, but I am thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to learn thanks to Foal Patrol and other sites like here.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4556
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:00 am

Diver52 wrote:All the AP foals I've seen photos of look really well-balanced. (Of course, maybe there are a lot of crooked gangly ones that haven't been posted!)

Just want to say that a friend just got a call from Coolmore yesterday and we're on their May 2 tour! AP in the morning and Chrome in the afternoon--I don't know if I'll be able to stand it!
I agree, even when his first crop started being born I remember hearing a lot of positive comments and breeders seemed to be happy.

That's incredibly exciting! Hope you'll share your pictures and your memories with us here :D
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Although looks don't make a racehorse, Chrome also has sired some very attractive foals. It will be interesting to see how the commercial market reacts to them.
Izvestia
Posts: 4048
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:06 am

How do you tell they are good looking when they are young? They just have little bodies and long legs. I think all babies “look good”, especially when they are flashy (white markings).
I think you can tell better when they are yearlings.
I always thought CC was a bit funny up front - turned out, flat kneed.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2343
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:52 am

Agreed. I feel like we only see the photos of the top 10% of each crop, if that. Even then, at this age, it's hard to judge how well a foal will turn out in terms of conformation when they're all legs. They're definitely cute, but I would wait till yearling sales come around before judging how correct they are.
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 4473
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:05 am

Northport wrote:Agreed. I feel like we only see the photos of the top 10% of each crop, if that. Even then, at this age, it's hard to judge how well a foal will turn out in terms of conformation when they're all legs. They're definitely cute, but I would wait till yearling sales come around before judging how correct they are.
After they've had corrective surgery/surgeries :lol:
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:52 pm

The old saying that looks don't make a racehorse is so true. Neither does the most commercially viable pedigree.

We only need consider the great mare, Bayakoa, with her parrot mouth, or Triple Crown winner Assault, with his club foot, or Sunday Silence with a conformation that initially turned Japanese breeders off, to know looks don't make a racehorse.

Conversely, we only need to consider gorgeous foals like Ziconic and many others -- indeed, the majority of foals in any crop -- to know that you can't tell a racehorse by how a foal looks.

Royal, fashionable pedigrees also don't make a racehorse, as Carry Back and John Henry can attest, to name just two horses who "outran their pedigrees." I often wonder if it's the successful horse that makes a pedigree and not the other way around.

With the exception of snowflakes, nothing is perfect in this world, and breeding racehorses is a crap shoot no matter what. So I enjoy the foals we see just because they are foals, because of the hopes and dreams they represent. There will come a day when I will not live to see how a foal crop turns out, but I will close my eyes and recall their sweetness and be glad I got to see it during my time on this planet. I do not judge them, only love them.
Post Reply