The rise of Sunday Silence

tachyon
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:38 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:26 pm
Woohoo!!! She's really coming in to her own - beating the top boys! :mrgreen:
Heart's Cry(JPN), one of the greatest sons of Sunday Silence(USA), got beat by a super filly Sweep Tosho(JPN)(End Sweep) in the G1 Takarazuka Kinen in 2005.

Image

-- replay of the Takarazuka Kinen 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZSLSWNIP8
1st. (#11) Sweep Tosho(JPN)(End Sweep) F4.
2nd. (#4) Heart's Cry(JPN)(Sunday Silence) C4.
3rd. (#6) Zenno Rob Roy(JPN)(Sunday Silence) H5.

-- chart
https://www.jbis.jp/race/result/2005062 ... 1561283900

It was great to see Heart's Cry sire his first Takarazuka Kinen winner in his daughter Lys Gracieux yesterday. ;)
tachyon
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:50 am

tachyon wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:37 am
In Argentina,

Ivar(BRZ), 2016C. Agnes Gold(JPN) x May Be Now(USA) by Smart Strike(CAN), won the G1 Gran Premio Gran Criterium 1600m turf very impressively at San Isidro on May 25th 2019. 8-)
He remains undefeated 2 for 2.

Image
Image
Image

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tykrZ3i6km4
Ivar(BRZ) scored his 2nd G1 victory easily in the Gran Premio Estrellas Juvenile 1600 dirt at Palermo, Argentina, on June 29th 2019, remaining unbeaten 3 for 3 and showing his versatility! :D :D :D
Has Agnes Gold(JPN)(Sunday Silence) finally sired a real deal?

Image
Image

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7TOlXA0Yk0
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4615
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:43 pm

Ivar looks like a nice colt. Pretty impressive to be a grade I winner on both surfaces at such a young age.
User avatar
Katewerk
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:01 pm

tachyon -- thought of you last evening when I cashed a win ticket on the near-black Silent Emissary at Marquis Downs R2. [Silent Name (Sunday Silence) ex Avenging Kat (Katahaula County)]
tachyon
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:19 am

Katewerk wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:01 pm
tachyon -- thought of you last evening when I cashed a win ticket on the near-black Silent Emissary at Marquis Downs R2. [Silent Name (Sunday Silence) ex Avenging Kat (Katahaula County)]
Thanks for sharing and congratulations! :D
He won it by 6 lengths, right? 8-)
I always wish Silent Name success!!
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4615
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:16 pm

Summer Sunday Sails Home in Royal North Stakes
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rth-stakes
tachyon
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:22 am

Starine wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:16 pm
Summer Sunday Sails Home in Royal North Stakes
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rth-stakes
Woo-hoo!!!
She found another gear and pulled away! :D
tachyon
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:19 am

I didn't expect him to die.
Gone far too soon. :(

-- from japanracing.jp

Triple Crown legend Deep Impact dies at 17

Deep Impact, one of the most successful horses and stallions in the history of the JRA, died on Tuesday. He was 17.

By the legendary stallion, Sunday Silence, Deep Impact became just the second undefeated Triple Crown winner in 2005. He went on to win seven Grade 1 races in a 12-for-13 career record (not including the disqualification in the 2006 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe), earning over 1.4 billion yen. His only defeat in Japan came in the 2005 Arima Kinen (The Grand Prix), where he lost a heated battle to Heart’s Cry in the final stretch.

After an illustrious racing career, Deep Impact was stationed at Shadai Stallion Station and did not disappoint as a stallion, producing multiple Grade 1 winners and becoming the JRA leading sire for seven straight years from 2012-2018.

Following are comments from the connections of Deep Impact:

Shadai Stallion Station: “We had been treating Deep Impact's neck injury for some time and he underwent surgery on July 28. The operation was successful and was doing well after the operation. However, on the morning of July 29, he was unable to stand up and we had been giving him the maximum treatment possible. On the morning of July 30, we took an X-ray and found a fracture in his cervical spine. We decided that he did not have any chance of recovery. We are extremely shocked and in grief with the sudden turn of events.”

Kaneko Makoto Holdings Co. Ltd., CEO, Makoto Kaneko, owner: “It was shocking to witness how easily he won the Triple Crown, and I am thankful for what he showed us. The most emotional moments were winning the Japan Cup and the Arima Kinen consecutively, after his loss in the Arc. Not many horses become stallions after their 4-year-old season, but he was also extremely successful as a stud. He gave me two more Derby winners, Makahiki and Wagnerian. I am in tears hearing this sudden tragic news. May he rest in peace.”

Yasuo Ikee, trainer (retired): “I am in shock of the sudden news. I could not have asked for any more in the two years plus of his racing career. I just pray that he is resting in peace.”

Yutaka Take, jockey: “I knew he was not in good shape, but I am disappointed to hear of the news. He is a very special horse in my life. I am just appreciative for all that he gave me.”

Northern Farm (breeder) representative, Katsumi Yoshida: “He was, without a doubt, the finest racehorse that Northern Farm ever bred. It is just disappointing to see him go, as he was extremely successful as a stallion. I hope he is resting in peace.”
http://japanracing.jp/_news2019/190730.html

Image

-- replay of the Japan Cup 2006 (English)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOdXnOJ5Y0U
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2613
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:11 pm

Horse Memorys @horse_memorys
7h
Deep Impact (March 25, 2002 - July 30, 2019)
Image
Image
Image
WarEmblemluvr
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:59 pm

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:42 pm

tachyon wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:19 am
I didn't expect him to die.
Gone far too soon. :(

-- from japanracing.jp

Triple Crown legend Deep Impact dies at 17

Deep Impact, one of the most successful horses and stallions in the history of the JRA, died on Tuesday. He was 17.

By the legendary stallion, Sunday Silence, Deep Impact became just the second undefeated Triple Crown winner in 2005. He went on to win seven Grade 1 races in a 12-for-13 career record (not including the disqualification in the 2006 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe), earning over 1.4 billion yen. His only defeat in Japan came in the 2005 Arima Kinen (The Grand Prix), where he lost a heated battle to Heart’s Cry in the final stretch.

After an illustrious racing career, Deep Impact was stationed at Shadai Stallion Station and did not disappoint as a stallion, producing multiple Grade 1 winners and becoming the JRA leading sire for seven straight years from 2012-2018.

Following are comments from the connections of Deep Impact:

Shadai Stallion Station: “We had been treating Deep Impact's neck injury for some time and he underwent surgery on July 28. The operation was successful and was doing well after the operation. However, on the morning of July 29, he was unable to stand up and we had been giving him the maximum treatment possible. On the morning of July 30, we took an X-ray and found a fracture in his cervical spine. We decided that he did not have any chance of recovery. We are extremely shocked and in grief with the sudden turn of events.”

Kaneko Makoto Holdings Co. Ltd., CEO, Makoto Kaneko, owner: “It was shocking to witness how easily he won the Triple Crown, and I am thankful for what he showed us. The most emotional moments were winning the Japan Cup and the Arima Kinen consecutively, after his loss in the Arc. Not many horses become stallions after their 4-year-old season, but he was also extremely successful as a stud. He gave me two more Derby winners, Makahiki and Wagnerian. I am in tears hearing this sudden tragic news. May he rest in peace.”

Yasuo Ikee, trainer (retired): “I am in shock of the sudden news. I could not have asked for any more in the two years plus of his racing career. I just pray that he is resting in peace.”

Yutaka Take, jockey: “I knew he was not in good shape, but I am disappointed to hear of the news. He is a very special horse in my life. I am just appreciative for all that he gave me.”

Northern Farm (breeder) representative, Katsumi Yoshida: “He was, without a doubt, the finest racehorse that Northern Farm ever bred. It is just disappointing to see him go, as he was extremely successful as a stallion. I hope he is resting in peace.”
http://japanracing.jp/_news2019/190730.html

Image

-- replay of the Japan Cup 2006 (English)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOdXnOJ5Y0U
I am so so extremely sorry Tachyon! I couldn't believe the news! Very very sad! 😢
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:00 pm

To Tachyon, lurkey mclurker and everyone who loved Deep Impact, I am so heartbroken at his untimely loss. There never are adequate words at a time like this, so I will just make a symbolic offering in tribute to both Deep Impact and his sire, Sunday Silence:

Image
User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:07 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:00 pm
To Tachyon, lurkey mclurker and everyone who loved Deep Impact, I am so heartbroken at his untimely loss. There never are adequate words at a time like this, so I will just make a symbolic offering in tribute to both Deep Impact and his sire, Sunday Silence:

Image
That's lovely. Thank you. I know Deep Impact was 17, but a horse like that-- you kind of hope they can live to be 35.
tachyon
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:03 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:00 pm
To Tachyon, lurkey mclurker and everyone who loved Deep Impact, I am so heartbroken at his untimely loss. There never are adequate words at a time like this, so I will just make a symbolic offering in tribute to both Deep Impact and his sire, Sunday Silence:

Image
Thanks for the beautiful photo of ''Toro Nagashi'' (Lanterns floating), Japan's traditional custom to commemorate the souls of the dead.
tachyon
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 am

RIP Natagora(FR) (Divine Light)

https://www.thoroughbredchampions.com/f ... 89#p210989

Image

Lemaire Christophe‏ @christo68914587
· Après la disparition de Deep Impact qui va laisser un grand vide dans les courses japonaises , j’apprends la disparition de Natagora . Il y’a des jours comme ça ....😢. Winner of Cheveley Park stakes , 1000 guinnees , prix Robert Papin ...
and from racingpost
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... -14/392831

She was the first Sunday Silence's grandson or granddaughter to win G1 in Europe.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3175
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:41 am

Deirdre, whose damsire Special Week is a son of Sunday Silence, won the G1 Nassau Stakes at Goodwood!
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2613
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:48 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:00 pm
To Tachyon, lurkey mclurker and everyone who loved Deep Impact, I am so heartbroken at his untimely loss. There never are adequate words at a time like this, so I will just make a symbolic offering in tribute to both Deep Impact and his sire, Sunday Silence:

Image
Thank you, Ridan. It's a lovely tribute. <3
tachyon
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:46 am

Mylute wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:41 am
Deirdre, whose damsire Special Week is a son of Sunday Silence, won the G1 Nassau Stakes at Goodwood!
Deirdre(JPN), 2014M. Harbinger(GB) x Reizend(JPN) by Special Week(JPN), has become the first Japanese-bred & Japanese-based horse to win a G1 in UK.
And It looks like Special Week(JPN), widely known as the sire of the legendary fillies Cesario(JPN) and Buena Vista(JPN), is a wonderful broodmare sire, too. :D
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:24 am

"Karak became the first black-type winner for her sire, Breeders' Cup Mile (G1T) winner Karakontie , when she rolled to an easy 2 1/2-length victory Aug. 3 in the $78,000 Tyro Stakes at Monmouth Park."
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... karakontie

Karakontie was bred in Japan and is by Bernstein out of Sun Is Up by Sunday Silence. Sun is Up's tail female granddam was the great Miesque. She was also the dam of Kingmambo.
tachyon
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:17 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:24 am
"Karak became the first black-type winner for her sire, Breeders' Cup Mile (G1T) winner Karakontie , when she rolled to an easy 2 1/2-length victory Aug. 3 in the $78,000 Tyro Stakes at Monmouth Park."
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... karakontie

Karakontie was bred in Japan and is by Bernstein out of Sun Is Up by Sunday Silence. Sun is Up's tail female granddam was the great Miesque. She was also the dam of Kingmambo.
I wonder if the Sunday Silence x Bernstein (Storm Cat) is a magic cross. ;)
And I'm glad that Karakontie seems to have been well supported by the breeders.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10348
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Bernstein was also the sire of the great Tepin, IIRC. And it was a great loss to the breed when he died at just 14 in 2011. :(
I really hope the regally-bred Karakontie can successfully continue that line.
Post Reply