Orb

PJMIII

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 am

Orb worked 5f MT ft in 1:01.00 B (1/15) at FAI, 09/14/13.
PJMIII

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:01 am

Orb worked 5f MT ft in 1:01.00 B (1/1) at FAI, 09/23/13.
ElPrado2

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:25 am

I would say he is consistent.
WarBiscuit

Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:52 pm

No excuses - No answers...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... d-cup-flop

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
horsefan

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:No excuses - No answers...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... d-cup-flop

WarBiscuit
Or no one's telling.
sweettalk

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:08 pm

he peaked at the right time. then everyone caught up. he isnt he horse we wanted him to be, no big deal.
Izvestia

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Sort of think that is the whole point of the Derby nowadays. Since 2000 who has really kept themselves together for the whole season? Street Sense?

Fusaichi Pegasus...won a G2 after and was retired to stud...who can blame them with that pedigree?
Monarchos...never won again.
War Emblem...won the Preakness and Haskell, and lost hugely in 3 other starts.
Funny Cide...won the JCGC the next year.
Smarty Jones...retired after losing the Belmont.
Giacomo...won a G2 at 4, that's it.
Barbaro...not fair to include him.
Street Sense...the only real Derby winner in recent years who had a successful rest of the year, AND was a champion 2-year-old. Probably would've been a great older horse too.
Big Brown...I would say the rest of his campaign was successful, but he DNF'd in the Belmont.
Mine That Bird...didn't win again.
Super Saver...I would say he was the worst Derby winner since, like, ever.
Animal Kingdom...injured, so doesn't count, came back as an older horse to win the Dubai World Cup.
I'll Have Another...yes, he peaked at the right time. Would have loved to watch him run later in the year, see if he just peaked at the right time.
Miss Woodford

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:46 am

Brokers Tip was worse than Super Saver by far. He only won the race because his jockey did this:
and instant replay didn't exist back then. Managed to get his nose in front at the wire, his only win of his career.

There's been plenty of historical Derby winners who peaked in that race and did little to nothing afterwards. It's not just a 21st century thing.
Man o Taz

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:07 am

I admire that Orb's connections entered him in the three Triple Crown races and continued to enter him in the top three year old and now older horse contests this year.

While also trying to conserve his energy giving him appropriate time off and spacing his races.

And Orb has not disappointed in any of his races this year, except the last one.

7 races - out of the money twice - once in 4th place in the Preakness and 8th place in the JCGC.

He has been the most consistent three year old this year.

He has won more money than any other horse three year old or otherwise except Animal Kingdom.

Its been a long year for him - from February through September.

I hope he is OK physically.

I wonder if training at Fair Hills instead of over the Belmont track might have had any impact on his results.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
jjacks1

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:38 pm

sweettalk wrote:he peaked at the right time. then everyone caught up. he isnt he horse we wanted him to be, no big deal.
I agree. All that talk right after the Derby about how Orb would surely be the next Triple Crown winner and then what followed was disappointing. He's a nice horse, just not the best 3 yr old this year. I think Palace Malice has him beat for the Eclipse Award. Shame about Oxbow being out - I actually thought his was a very impressive performance in the 3 Triple Crown races - more so than Orb. Oh well.
Izvestia

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:42 pm

*unless* Will Take Charge beats PM in the Classic. Is Orb done for the year?

Ok...fair enough...Brokers Tip was the worst. Super Saver was second worst.
Miss Woodford

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Izvestia wrote:*unless* Will Take Charge beats PM in the Classic. Is Orb done for the year?

Ok...fair enough...Brokers Tip was the worst. Super Saver was second worst.
After that performance I'm thinking they'll put him away for the year. I think he'll continue racing next year. Malibu Moon isn't exactly known as a sire of sires, Orb needs to get at least a few more graded stakes victories for him to attract much commercial interest.
second_glance

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 pm

Kentucky Derby winner Orb, who finished last in Saturday’s $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup at Belmont Park, will most likely not run again this year and no decision has been made on whether he will return as a 4-year-old, co-owner Stuart Janney III said Monday.

“I would suspect he’s done racing this year,” Janney said by phone Monday morning. “We’ll figure out what we want to do next year.”

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-park-or ... ished-year