RIP Caixa Electronica

bare it all

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:09 am

Jeff wrote:
Kay16 wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Read somewhere else it was before sunrise.

Regardless, their jobs are risky enough. Riding on the track, with other riders and horses, in the dark is even more risky.
Paulick, DRF and NYRA all report it occurred at approximately 8 a.m.

Where did you read otherwise?

Why does it matter? Six Drivers was a loose horse.
Blue Jeans

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Such heartbreaking news of "Caixa" and Six Drivers, but especially of Caixa Eletronica, a name that has become a regular to so many of us. My condolences to all those concerned with both horses. A really sad day.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/04/us/new-yo ... isqus-area

http://www.pedigreequery.com/caixa+eletronica
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
TapitsGal

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Six Drivers was a NY Bred as well...a son of Sunriver
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:12 pm

from an interview with Repole a while ago:

Who’s your favorite horse who never won Horse of the Year?
"Caixa Electronica – the coolest and funniest horse that I own and will ever own."

Feel really bad for the connections. That just sucks. :(
Calypso

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Life At Zen wrote:
second_glance wrote:Both horses died instantly.
A small prayer answered.
Amen to that, at least neither suffered very long. Hopefully he never knew what hit him..... and Six Drivers never knew what he hit. I feel so horrible for Repole, he annoys the living begeezies out of me but he does care deeply for his horses and we all know Caxia Eletronica had a special place in his heart. RIP to this iron warrior. He definitely paid the iron price.
Soylent green is....tasty!!!
Flanders

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Terrible news! RIP to them all.
serenassong

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:17 am

Terrible, what a freak accident. From reading around, they said both horses died on impact, which is a small blessing.

R. I. P.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Le Beau Bai

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:23 pm

The incident is even being reported in the UK by Horse & Hound magazine...
Prairie Bayou

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:52 pm

So sad. This is one of the only photos I have of him. Unfortunately the only times I've seen him was at Charles Town at night. RIP Caixa Eletronica.

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
tres borrachos

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Just when you think you've seen and heard it all in this sport, something comes along that makes you cry from the bottom of your heart. This was that time for me.

When I saw this last week, I bawled like I haven't bawled since I watched John Henry's memorial service, and that wasn't even tragic.

There's a special corner of Heaven for Caixa. Thank God it was quick. Bless his heart.
Carotene

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks Praire...I think that's a beautiful picture of Caixa. What a rough few weeks it's already been. My heart is heavy with this loss. RIP Caixa. You will definitely be missed.

Jenn
Formerly Play the King
Sound of Freedom

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:04 pm

Great Jerry Bossert piece today on Caixa

According to Repole, who talked with Castro after the accident, Caixa Eletronica saved the jockey’s life. Castro told Repole that, rather than trying to turn away at the last second, Caixa put his head down to protect Castro and avoid having the loose horse directly hit the exercise rider broadside.
“He was a warrior on the track and he died a warrior,” Repole said of Caixa Eletronica, whom he had cremated and whose ashes he will bury at Todd Pletcher’s barn at Belmont Park.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more- ... z2qnIpMCJd
Lakeway

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Sound of Freedom wrote:Great Jerry Bossert piece today on Caixa

According to Repole, who talked with Castro after the accident, Caixa Eletronica saved the jockey’s life. Castro told Repole that, rather than trying to turn away at the last second, Caixa put his head down to protect Castro and avoid having the loose horse directly hit the exercise rider broadside.
“He was a warrior on the track and he died a warrior,” Repole said of Caixa Eletronica, whom he had cremated and whose ashes he will bury at Todd Pletcher’s barn at Belmont Park.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more- ... z2qnIpMCJd
OMG - in tears again...
horsefan

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:11 am

It was a nice mention Pletcher made last night about CE at the Eclipse awards.
Elizabeth86

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:26 pm

horsefan wrote:It was a nice mention Pletcher made last night about CE at the Eclipse awards.
I agree. I hadn't thought about him doing that if he won, but I thought it was very touching and nice recognition for such a neat horse.