Favorite Horses of the Decade (2009/10 - 2019/20)

Curtis

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Mylute wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:26 pm
KatieK101 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:22 pm
Mylute wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:45 pm
Hmm..let's see.

Nyquist - I've never seen a horse that good be that disrespected.
The way people talk about him, it’s easy to forget that he was undefeated in eight starts, a juvenile champion, and a Kentucky Derby winner.

Has this horse ever been given much credit? I remember when everyone said his crop was weak, and to be fair some of his crop was late-maturing, but that crop did eventually produce three Eclipse champions and one Horse of the Year (off the top of my head) in Gun Runner, Arrogate, and Accelerate.
I could write a rant essay, and I originally thought about it, but I'll save everyone the giant post. However, I'll try to condense:

"Nyquist is an undefeated Juvenile champion, but he'll most certainly fail in the Derby because Uncle Mo is his sire and Forestry is grandpa. Oh, Uncle Mo had a lot of intestinal issues during his career which probably hindered his distance running? Nah. Nyquist isn't by Birdstone so he'll lose. Also, they're totally scared and running from Exaggerator by going to Florida. Yeah I know Nyquist has has had no trouble beating EX in like 6 races and they had picked out the Florida Derby when he was a juvenile, but the connections are totally scared of EX. EX is totally the best horse ever. Don't call him a 'glorified mudder.' Nyquist is just a fluke. We'll nickname him NyQuil. Oh, and Mohaymen is going to be the next Triple Crown winner. Don't you dare ask 'Who has he run against?' That's what we say against Nyquist. Oh, and by the way, who has Nyquist run against?"
All that and if memory serves, Nyquist still went off favored in the Derby. So was that the rant essay and you accidentally pressed “send”?😉
hadrianmarcus

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:03 pm

American Pharoah - Seeing him when in the BC Classic in person was a magical moment.
Gun Runner - Favorite horse, followed him fanatically from his maiden win to the Pegasus.
Mucho Macho Man - Happiest moment, his winning the BC Classic
Beholder - Dirt mare of the decade for me
Enable - Turf mare of the decade for me
Roaring Lion - All heart and guts, tragic end
Mendelssohn - Poorly managed, but a favorite, and what a character
Hoppertunity - Just because

Russell Road - Like visiting an old friend, every few months at Charles Town

Gold Ship & Orfevre - moderately insane sons of Stay Gold
Gentildonna - the best Japanese filly/mare of the decade (sorry Almond Eye #2)

Winx - never proved her talent on the world stage IMO, but I enjoyed staying up to watch her race
Black Cavier - who did prove her talent on the world stage, despite her inept jockey.
Mylute

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:06 pm

@ Curtis

No it was longer.

Also wow, can't believe I forgot Hopper.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Curtis

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Mylute wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:06 pm
@ Curtis

No it was longer.

Also wow, can't believe I forgot Hopper.
I think Nyquist was tough as an old boot. He was an interesting contrast with Exaggerator in that while the latter was completely unfazed by mud—he didn’t really move up, he just ran his race—Nyquist really didn’t handle slop. Nyquist’s BC Juvenile was a terrific race. Because so many wanted to look at the raw times—how fast they ran as opposed to how they ran fast—Songbird was presumed to be far superior that day, which just wasn’t the case. I think that is where the idea that Nyquist was not being given his proper due comes, all winter long folks swearing that Songbird would have blown Nyquist off the track.
Katewerk

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:53 pm

Justify -- because he had nearly the same name as my dog
AP -- was cool on him to begin with, but he earned it
California Chrome -- followed him from his first stakes win at Hollywood Park as a 2yr old
Runhappy -- followed from his first race
Up With The Birds -- favourite Canadian, stole the name
War horse: Slim Shadey

I can't believe Wise Dan hasn't been mentioned yet. Zenyatta would be on the list but I think she more properly belongs to the last decade.
CleverCharm

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:38 pm

Shackleford
Zenyatta
California Chrome
Honor Code
Charlie

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Kurenai wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:23 am
Zenyatta
Frankel
California Chrome (when he was older, I really loved that he wasn't retired)
Black Caviar
Shared Belief :cry:

Looking at that list, they all have something in common... they were around longer than for one season. Generally don't care about Justify, Arrogate etc.

Runner Ups would be:
Sea The Stars
American Pharoah

I can't believe I forgot California Chrome! I love that dude. I also was a big fan of Beholder, she is probably my favorite girl.
Flanders

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:09 am

I really liked the ill fated Dullahan. He was gorgeous.
BorntoWin2

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:57 am

Zenyatta
Sea the Stars
Mine That Bird
Winx

Zenyatta and Sea the Stars for their power, drive and courage. Mine That Bird for being the little horse who could. Winx for her crazy fast turn of foot.
Curtis

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:35 pm

Arrogate
American Pharoah
Beholder

Arrogate for getting 11-1 on him in the Travers.😉 He is both the best this decade and this century in my opinion.

American Pharoah wasn’t far off Arrogate. The only time I got to see him in person was in the morning working 7f at Del Mar. I’ve never experienced that kind of buzz in the morning.

Beholder is like Arrogate in that she was the best mare both this decade and century. She was over the top in her last race but still had enough to beat a really nice filly in Songbird as well as the rest of that nice field.

Owning a couple of retired claimers, my true favorites are horses in that genre. The names are obscure to all but a few so I won’t bore you all with them.
stark

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Curtis wrote:
Owning a couple of retired claimers, my true favorites are horses in that genre. The names are obscure to all but a few so I won’t bore you all with them.
At least you know the names!
I have to admit to forgetting the name of one of my favorites, it was #4 in the 9th race at SA a couple of years ago.
Capped off a winning P6 between four of u$.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
pointgivenfan

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Pretty disappointed that nobody has mentioned Goldikova thus far.

Also Jeranimo, Orfevre, Valid, US Navy Flag, Roly Poly, Frac Daddy, Ageless, Game on Dude, and some others I'm probably forgetting.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
Honor Code

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Most of my favorite horses ares the ones who stuck around enough for me to get fangirl hearts, so here they are:

Caixa Eletronica: durable, hard fighting stallion who climbed his way up from the claiming ranks. I cried when he died
California Chrome: I really liked his Cinderella story up until his owners were asses publicly. Then Taylor made got him and it was just fun watching him go
Winx/Black Caviar/Beholder/Zenyatta: I’ve always had a sweet spot for girls beating on the boys. Yes I know it doesn’t have that much disparity in horses but it still made me happy. All of these mares brought it to the track every time, and for years. Couldn’t ask for better.
Hoppertunity: I liked how much he always gave his best and always showed up. Can’t ask for much more
Honor code: performance eye candy. Enough said hahaha. I’m a sucker for dark bays
American Pharoah: I didn’t like him at first due to connections. But he’s just proven himself Great. Doesn’t hurt that he’s a sweetheart too.

I’ll probably add more later
Mylute

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:54 pm

Also gonna add Discreet Lover and Seeking the Soul.

I remember when StS was entered in the Belmont and understandably the response was "Fipke longshots that will finish last." I liked his name and then waddaya know, he wins the Clark at the end of the year.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Curtis

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:14 am

stark wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:00 pm
Curtis wrote:
At least you know the names!
I have to admit to forgetting the name of one of my favorites, it was #4 in the 9th race at SA a couple of years ago.
Capped off a winning P6 between four of u$.
Nick Alexander's baseball names are always favorites. He wasn't the best of them but I thought that Preacher Roe, by Dixie Chatter, was quite clever--for explanation read the Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn. He lit up the tote board for me during consecutive summers at Del Mar. Currently, I've become enamored of Staythirstymyamigo. If I ever run into Ed Freeman, I'd like to ask if she prefers Dos Equis. As for stakes types, Spiced Perfection, has become a favorite as well.
stark

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:11 pm

Curtis wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:14 am
Nick Alexander's baseball names are always favorites. He wasn't the best of them but I thought that Preacher Roe, by Dixie Chatter, was quite clever--for explanation read the Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn. He lit up the tote board for me during consecutive summers at Del Mar. Currently, I've become enamored of Staythirstymyamigo. If I ever run into Ed Freeman, I'd like to ask if she prefers Dos Equis. As for stakes types, Spiced Perfection, has become a favorite as well.
Agree, and I was a fan of the original Mike Pegram too!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Holly1972

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:28 am

Zenyatta
Beholder
Songbird
Winter Memories
Black Caviar
American Pharoah
Runhappy
Rapid Redux
Little Mike
Hay List
Shared Belief

All of them tough as nails, even when they didn’t win
TapitsGal

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:20 pm

Another horse not yet mentioned...I adore Free Drop Billy and I'm excited that my friend has a couple of mares who are expecting foals of his(we've been told ones a filly and ones a colt)...I just want to see if they'll have dad's markings
Afrashad

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:44 am

Cavalryman
Thunder Snow
barbaro111

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:55 am

stark wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:51 pm
American Pharoah

Ended the long drought becoming the 12th Triple Crown Winner.

Had younger fans on the edge of their seats who had never experienced the Triple Crown thrills.

Appears to be starting a memorable legacy in the breeding shed.

What's not to like?
Don't forget he has the personality of a puppy dog