Tragedy hits Santa Anita again

Tessablue

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:05 pm
TDN Podcast: Pletcher on Mongolian Groom Tragedy: We Have To Do Better
In this week’s TDN Writers’ Room Podcast, future Hall of Fame trainer Todd Pletcher didn’t mince words when talking about the breakdown of Mongolian Groom (Hightail) in the Breeders’ Cup Classic and the rash of breakdowns that have emboldened politicians and animal rights activists. Calling the current situation a “crisis,” Pletcher implored the racing industry to do whatever it takes to cut down on the number of equine fatalities.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/pl ... do-better/
Don't you just love the phrasing? Yikes. No wonder people think we don't want to get better.

But wow, what a fantastic statement by Pletcher. This part especially stood out:
It’s a crisis. In racing, a lot of times, we get through one crisis and then we kind of coast. We can’t let our foot off the pedal. We have to get this thing sorted out and do a lot better than we’re doing now
He's right that we're constantly in survival mode when we need to be more proactive, and it's great to hear someone say it. A bunch of us were talking before the Classic about how we wanted Pletcher and Repole to win because of how they take care of their horses- there must be a lot of emotions on their end, but much respect to Pletcher for speaking out when he could have just as easily focused on his victory.

Certainly beats Graham Motion's weak and weirdly flippant statement: https://twitter.com/GrahamMotion/status ... 3236861953
Somnambulist

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:00 pm

I think you can't judge Motion too harshly. He wrote this pretty soon after and saying anything in a limited text box is not going going to end well. He won a BC race and saw this unfold in 24hours.

I don't know about anyone else but I am not good at thinking if I experience something either very positive or very negative.
Tessablue

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Yeah... I did read that almost immediately after it was posted, so maybe I'm being extra hard on him. It was just tough to think of the BC as "darn close to perfect" in the immediate aftermath.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Yeah, I follow Graham Motion on Twitter and he's been spot on about the need for improvement in this sport. My initial reaction was similar...like "oh God no, just two furlongs away after two straight days of great racing..."

I keep coming back to this quote in a letter to the editor printed last April:
...In other words, either the nearly perfect horse on an imperfect surface or an imperfect horse on the nearly perfect surface provides opportunity for catastrophic injury.
Letter to the Editor: Racing Surfaces Risks http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/le ... ces-risks/

TSG has to quit avoiding the ugly truth that it's looking like their track is part of this equation, along with the medication and other things we've talked about. We're still waiting for the report on the necropsies of the horses who died last winter/spring, due in December now I think. We'll see if it will address the surface irregularities. I'm skeptical about this new investigation by Dr. Larry Bramlage that BC announced. What does he know about track surfaces or training practices? A multi-discipline team of experts need to get together on this, with their big-picture thinking caps on, and there needs to be no bias or even perceived conflicts of interest in any individual taking part in these investigations.
Somnambulist

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:38 pm
Yeah... I did read that almost immediately after it was posted, so maybe I'm being extra hard on him. It was just tough to think of the BC as "darn close to perfect" in the immediate aftermath.
It's kinda hard to impart tone via text and not really knowing someone so I didn't think it was harsh. Earlier today a work thing infuriated me and looking back on it I can't believe I was so mad. Being human is a rather terrible experience at times.

But I don't get the almost perfect either. It wasn't so it can't be almost..