Tragedy hits Santa Anita again

TapitsGal

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:38 pm

GQ CoverGirl euthanized after breaking both front legs at santa Anita. Doug O'Neill horse...my local news outlet wmtw picked up the story
Somnambulist

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:48 pm

I saw.

I might have to skip a manicure because what's the point if I'm going to bite my nails off watching all weekend. I have had a bad feeling for days.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:13 pm

I can't find anything about GQ CoverGirl on either Bloodhorse or Paulick.
IMHO, racing has a problem when civilian media run stories about the latest breakdowns...and the racing media doesn't. :? :oops:
Sticking its head in the sand and hoping the bad news goes away is not going to help.
stark

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:50 pm

Against my better judgement, I'll share this for the curious.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... anta-anita

Santa Anita had its fifth horse fatality of the short fall meeting when G Q Covergirl injured both her front legs on Friday and was euthanized on the advice of the attending veterinarian. G Q Cover Girl was a 6-year-old mare who had won her last two races.

The horse was on the training track when the incident occurred. The surface, which is closest to the scoreboard, has historically caused the fewest number of breakdowns. However, all three training deaths this meeting have occurred on the inner surface, which is not used for racing. One of the training deaths was believed to be a heart attack and not a catastrophic limb injury. The two other fatalities were during racing.

G Q Covergirl, who is trained by two-time Kentucky Derby winner Doug O’Neill, won a $40,000 claiming race at Santa Anita on Oct. 4 and won an allowance/optional claiming race on Sept. 14 at Los Alamitos.

The death is sure to raise tensions at the track, which hosts the world championships of racing, the Breeders’ Cup, next Friday and Saturday. There was some question if Santa Anita would be allowed to continue to be the host of the event after 30 horses died during its winter/spring meet. Of those 30 horses, only one died after suffering an injury on the training track. On June 27, the board of the Breeders’ Cup voted to keep the event at Santa Anita.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:01 am

The differenentation won't matter if a horse breaks down over the weekend. It's a tense time for sure.
CorridorZ75

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:48 am

Isn't the training track a synthetic track?
stark

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:22 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:13 pm
I can't find anything about GQ CoverGirl on either Bloodhorse or Paulick.
IMHO, racing has a problem when civilian media run stories about the latest breakdowns...and the racing media doesn't. :? :oops:
Sticking its head in the sand and hoping the bad news goes away is not going to help.
How did we ever survive just a few years ago when these incidents were not front page news?
Somnambulist

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:40 am

You gotta stop enabling the problems of this sport and ragging on people who want it better.

If you don't think anything will change or the public at large won't care, that's fine and not wrong. But people being sick of it isn't a bad thing.
Squeaky

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:51 am

Somnambulist wrote:
You gotta stop enabling the problems of this sport and ragging on people who want it better.

If you don't think anything will change or the public at large won't care, that's fine and not wrong. But people being sick of it isn't a bad thing.
Well said. Thank you.
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:02 pm

Somnambulist wrote:

Agreed times 1000!. Enough of the public apparently does care. From the L.A. Times article: "Both the California Horse Racing Board and the L.A. District Attorney’s Office are conducting investigations into the deaths. The CHRB has said it will release the results of its investigation in a report in December. At that point, all the necropsy results will be made public."

What the heck is the DA's office doing looking at horse deaths? Do they suspect criminal conduct, or is this just a politician piling on due to public interest? For those who don't know, the Los Angeles County DA is an elected office, and DA's often seek higher elective office. Also, there is or was a ballot initiative being circulated for signatures — the initiative would ban horse racing in California. So far, I can't find it among approved initiatives, so maybe the sport will dodge this bullet for now. But the time for ignoring the problem is long, long past. Ruffian broke down on national TV 45 years ago, but the sport is only just now really starting to take steps to protect the horses and the jockeys who ride them.
stark

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Squeaky wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:

Well said. Thank you.
If you were in a position to actually make it better I would be more understanding. But as it is, it appears to be morbid curiosity fueled by PETA and I cannot and will not support any portion of their agenda to shut down the sport in it's entirety.
I firmly believe that the people who need to know about a training track fatality of a non-famous horse, including the stakeholders and those responsible for oversight and improvements already know without reading about it in Bloodhorse, DRF, or the nightly news.
Ziggypop

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:02 pm
Somnambulist wrote:

Agreed times 1000!. Enough of the public apparently does care. From the L.A. Times article: "Both the California Horse Racing Board and the L.A. District Attorney’s Office are conducting investigations into the deaths. The CHRB has said it will release the results of its investigation in a report in December. At that point, all the necropsy results will be made public."

What the heck is the DA's office doing looking at horse deaths? Do they suspect criminal conduct, or is this just a politician piling on due to public interest? For those who don't know, the Los Angeles County DA is an elected office, and DA's often seek higher elective office. Also, there is or was a ballot initiative being circulated for signatures — the initiative would ban horse racing in California. So far, I can't find it among approved initiatives, so maybe the sport will dodge this bullet for now. But the time for ignoring the problem is long, long past. Ruffian broke down on national TV 45 years ago, but the sport is only just now really starting to take steps to protect the horses and the jockeys who ride them.
remember their are people betting money on these races so if illegalities are going on it will matter to the DA.
Diver52

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:16 pm

No, it's media blood lust pure and simple, and a prosecutor wanting news time. The Los Angeles Times can't be bothered to print SA entries but yesterday--before this came out--they printed a pointless photo of the "protesters." We can only hope a priest sex scandal pulls them off the scent.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Tessablue

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Yeah it's really crazy how The Media keeps making it sound like racing doesn't care about these issues and would rather bury its head in the sand. Can't imagine what gave them that impression.
Delamont

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:43 pm

stark wrote:
Squeaky wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:

Well said. Thank you.
If you were in a position to actually make it better I would be more understanding. But as it is, it appears to be morbid curiosity fueled by PETA and I cannot and will not support any portion of their agenda to shut down the sport in it's entirety.
I firmly believe that the people who need to know about a training track fatality of a non-famous horse, including the stakeholders and those responsible for oversight and improvements already know without reading about it in Bloodhorse, DRF, or the nightly news.
Amen.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:48 pm

If anything at all happens next Friday and Saturday, look for the California Legislature to do to horse racing what so many states have done to dog racing. Mob rule is taking over.
MySaladDays

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:35 am

stark wrote:
You appear to be quite unaware of the huge number of actual fans and supporters of this sport, who also put their hard earned money into wagering, also feel the Need To Know.

If you do not, then that is fine. Please do not attempt to speak for others.

And a "non famous horse" is just as important to many of us as a famous one. This one in particular really gutted out every win. Sorry you can't appreciate that.

But, back to the general situation at SA as regards the Breeders Cup races. I really don't have a foreboding. most who are bringing their horses trust that things are being overseen carefully and to the best of everyone's abilities. The point is that you can't make up for decades of head-in-sand over night. Racing will have to show they can step up and do things better......and hopefully, they will.
stark

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:57 am

MySaladDays wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:35 am
stark wrote:
You appear to be quite unaware of the huge number of actual fans and supporters of this sport, who also put their hard earned money into wagering, also feel the Need To Know.

If you do not, then that is fine. Please do not attempt to speak for others.

And a "non famous horse" is just as important to many of us as a famous one. This one in particular really gutted out every win. Sorry you can't appreciate that.

But, back to the general situation at SA as regards the Breeders Cup races. I really don't have a foreboding. most who are bringing their horses trust that things are being overseen carefully and to the best of everyone's abilities. The point is that you can't make up for decades of head-in-sand over night. Racing will have to show they can step up and do things better......and hopefully, they will.
Trust me, I'm not unaware.
We probably want similar results in the end, but disagree on how to get there.
If you have some miracle cure to share, please do, but please be realistic at the same time.

When it comes to media coverage in your local newspaper or TV channel, what percentage of their coverage should be devoted to a training track accident that resulted in a fatality? In the case of the Los Angeles Times or local stations KTLA and KCAL that sort of news approaches 100% most days, and that is unacceptable in my opinion.
stark

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Let's parlay this same conversation over to the NFL, maybe you're a football fan?
Let's say in interior offensive lineman for the NewEngland Patriots suffers a career ending injury in a Wednesday practice session.
As a fan of the sport, how easily does that news reach you?
Do you have to tolerate some Tom Brady news first? What about Belichick, does he hog up some headlines too?

Maybe that helps make my point, I hate any injury on the track, but it's not the one and only story coming out of Santa Anita that the media should be reporting on, that is unless you're a PETA advocate.
Tessablue

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:18 pm

A career-ending injury is in no way comparable to an athlete dying on the field.

It's honestly disturbing that so many of you are seemingly more upset by the media coverage of the deaths than the deaths themselves. Do you all ever stop to think about what it would look like if someone stopped by this forum to see how racing fans feel about these tragedies? How can you complain about the media painting us all in a bad light if you repeatedly behave exactly the way they say you do? If you actually want this sport to exist past the next decade, quit whining and start holding people in the industry accountable.

Research has continuously shown that these deaths are preventable. This means we can get to zero deaths if we stop throwing our own pity party and actually concentrate on looking at the problem and finding a solution. GQ Covergirl was unraced at two, whereas Emtech made only one start late into his 2yo season. Why? If we actually look for them, there are real trends to examine and discuss here.