Horse Racing Is Its Own Worst Enemy

ThreeMustangs

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:46 pm

Making PETA's job easier for them:

Euthanized Mountaineer Horse Allegedly Dumped at Landfill

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/eu ... ZE.twitter

The trainer not knowing where Bridget Moloney (may she rest in peace) was euthanized isn't exactly a great optic, either.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:43 am

It's terribly sad that the mare suffered a catastrophic injury and had to be euthanized, but I'm not sure what is so horribly scandalous about what happened next.
If Mountaineer handles the disposal of euthanized horses, and they have a contract with the landfill to dispose of carcasses legally, then what is the outrage?
Yeah, the owner/trainer don't seem to have bothered to be completely involved/informed of the fate of their mare, and that makes them potentially a-holes, but....legally disposing of a horse's body has to be done. Once any mandated necropsies are finished, I'm under the impression that most are buried at large disposal sites.
How else are large animal carcasses dealt with, if they can't be utilized as food for some reason? I'm reasonably sure that cremating is expensive.
ThreeMustangs

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:20 am

We understand that it's difficult to discard carcasses, but WAS it done legally? Either way, PETA will use this as further proof of the callousness of the industry. Mountaineer didn't even bother removing her racing bandages, which backfired on them when it made it possible to identify her.

This was a mare who ran 73 times, winning 19 races and nearly $390K. Didn't she earn a decent burial or cremation? Or I am being too sentimental?
katmandu

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:55 am

Unpleasant and sad as it is, a dead horse in a landfill is not a story. At least not a unique one. Not even close.
Flanders

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:26 am

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:20 am
We understand that it's difficult to discard carcasses, but WAS it done legally? Either way, PETA will use this as further proof of the callousness of the industry. Mountaineer didn't even bother removing her racing bandages, which backfired on them when it made it possible to identify her.

This was a mare who ran 73 times, winning 19 races and nearly $390K. Didn't she earn a decent burial or cremation? Or I am being too sentimental?
Its illegal to bury horses in most states/countries, places that do allow it have extremely strict guidelines on what can be buried. It would be the owners choice to have the horse cremated. They left this to the track to do. The track has a contract with a landfill company that has state approval to have an animal section at their landfill. This is where roadkill goes, can be where euthanized animals from shelters end up, and maybe even livestock that had to be euthanized.
genuinerizk

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:44 am

When I read the article - I assumed the same thing- that’s there’s nothing really criminal about it. But going to the actual PETA article, it seems there’s some confusion as to HOW she actually died. The story is she may not have broken down, but that she hit her head on a wall, then still raced, “took a bad step”, still made to finish the race, and was vanned off. There was a comment from a mountaineer official that she could be dumped in a landfill because “she did not have euthanasia drugs” in her system. So PETA is asking if a vet ever even saw her before or after her race, and that she may have been made to race with a traumatic brain injury. If one goes to the PETA article, the pictures of the horse show that she has a lot of blood coming out of her nostrils, and there’s no obvious deformities and blood on any of her legs such that a catastrophic break may have caused. The fact that no one seems to know, such as the trainer, or wants to answer, such as the officials and the landfill operators, make it seem like there’s definitely a cover up.
stark

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 am

Gotta say I'm pleasantly shocked at the common sense comments I'm reading here.
Seen elsewhere, critics are calling for TVG to stop showing races from Mountaineer, heads need to roll etc.
Thanks.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
hadrianmarcus

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:35 am

genuinerizk wrote:
When I read the article - I assumed the same thing- that’s there’s nothing really criminal about it. But going to the actual PETA article, it seems there’s some confusion as to HOW she actually died. The story is she may not have broken down, but that she hit her head on a wall, then still raced, “took a bad step”, still made to finish the race, and was vanned off. There was a comment from a mountaineer official that she could be dumped in a landfill because “she did not have euthanasia drugs” in her system. So PETA is asking if a vet ever even saw her before or after her race, and that she may have been made to race with a traumatic brain injury. If one goes to the PETA article, the pictures of the horse show that she has a lot of blood coming out of her nostrils, and there’s no obvious deformities and blood on any of her legs such that a catastrophic break may have caused. The fact that no one seems to know, such as the trainer, or wants to answer, such as the officials and the landfill operators, make it seem like there’s definitely a cover up.
I'm all for cleaning up horse racing and banning cheating trainers/negligent owners from the sport......but this whole 'incident' feels PETA staged or created or manipulated to me in a manner that other incidents have not. With kill sales, abandoned horses, and racing deaths aplenty, this becomes a focal point?! Especially when horse racing should be fairly efficient at disposing of its fallen warriors.
Somnambulist

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Why do we care what PETA thinks?
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 pm

genuinerizk wrote:
When I read the article - I assumed the same thing- that’s there’s nothing really criminal about it. But going to the actual PETA article, it seems there’s some confusion as to HOW she actually died. The story is she may not have broken down, but that she hit her head on a wall, then still raced, “took a bad step”, still made to finish the race, and was vanned off. There was a comment from a mountaineer official that she could be dumped in a landfill because “she did not have euthanasia drugs” in her system. So PETA is asking if a vet ever even saw her before or after her race, and that she may have been made to race with a traumatic brain injury.
There were three vet scratches from the race that Bridget Moloney broke down in, so the vet must have seen her before the race, I would think.
genuinerizk

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:45 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 pm
genuinerizk wrote:
When I read the article - I assumed the same thing- that’s there’s nothing really criminal about it. But going to the actual PETA article, it seems there’s some confusion as to HOW she actually died. The story is she may not have broken down, but that she hit her head on a wall, then still raced, “took a bad step”, still made to finish the race, and was vanned off. There was a comment from a mountaineer official that she could be dumped in a landfill because “she did not have euthanasia drugs” in her system. So PETA is asking if a vet ever even saw her before or after her race, and that she may have been made to race with a traumatic brain injury.
There were three vet scratches from the race that Bridget Moloney broke down in, so the vet must have seen her before the race, I would think.
A vet scratch doesn’t necessarily mean the state vet looked at them. I’ve had my horses vet scratched by our regular backside vet, the morning of their race.
ThreeMustangs

Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:16 pm
Why do we care what PETA thinks?
I don't care what PETA thinks, but they are winning the social media battle with the general public. Look at the anti-racing opinion piece that the "Washington Post" ran last week:

The time for horse racing has passed. It’s time to outlaw it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Has there been a consolidated response from the industry? Are they ready for the backlash if there is a breakdown at the BC? Being the hypocrites they are, you know PETA is hoping for just that.
Private Thoughts

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Lots of euthanized animals from vets and shelters end up at rendering companies and in pet food here in the US. That’s why pets end up sick and dying from the chemicals used to put the animals to sleep. They try to hid this fact but my sister in law worked for a local shelter and said it was true.

Also UK has a fertilizer pit where you can send your euthanized animals, I had to send one of my dogs there when I lived in an apartment with no place to bury her.
ThreeMustangs

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:02 pm

WV Racing Commission Releases Statement

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/w ... rM.twitter
Flanders

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:06 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:02 pm
WV Racing Commission Releases Statement

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/w ... rM.twitter
At least they were successful in getting this finally passed in 2019 as they had been trying for years. It does lead into the question of why wasn't the funding used in this case, unless it has to do with State Budget Year and funding being released.
Northport

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:18 pm
Lots of euthanized animals from vets and shelters end up at rendering companies and in pet food here in the US. That’s why pets end up sick and dying from the chemicals used to put the animals to sleep. They try to hid this fact but my sister in law worked for a local shelter and said it was true.

Also UK has a fertilizer pit where you can send your euthanized animals, I had to send one of my dogs there when I lived in an apartment with no place to bury her.
Wait, so pets who are euthanized at shelters are turned into food for other pets, which kills them? Uh... not quite sure how the bodies of a 100 dead cats gets shipped to Purina and ground into cat food. I feel like that would be a scandal.

My god father worked at a wet dog and cat food company that got embroiled in controversy when animals that ate their products started to die, turns out almost every ingredient that wasn't meat was contaminated. Rice, wheat gluten, corn gluten. All of those ingredients were from China.

Any chance these pets who are constantly dying in mysterious ways aren't just French Bulldogs, Pugs, Dachshunds, or Miniature Schnauzers?
weeeeeeeee
CorridorZ75

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:44 pm

It is illegal for animals to be rendered if certain drugs were used within the withdrawal period. You can look up milk,meat, etc withdrawal periods for any drug, and it is why certain drugs can't be used for "food animals".
Flanders

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Of course its illegal, it doesn't stop it from happening though.

They are sent to rendering plants, which turns them into "usable" products. There was a recall of dog food last year because of sodium pentobarbital being in it. The FDA did a DNA test on numerous dog food brands years ago to see if they could find dog DNA in it. They are using stuff they aren't supposed to and I guarantee its not all of them. But any animal byproduct or X(any bone/animal) meal comes from a rendering plants and who knows what is it in.

The EPA's webpage specifically lists animal shelters as one of the places rendering plants get their products. Even if they aren't being used in animal food, the other things they are used for is soaps, cosmetics, perfumes, plastics, etc. Its really messed up to think, Hey this fabulous new shade of lipstick I got is made from the cats and dogs that died in the shelter a month or two ago.
Starine

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:23 pm

TIF’s Cummings On West Virginia Incident: Horse Racing Must Address ‘Industry-Wide Nightmare’
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... nightmare/

This really is a must-read. Well done, Mr. Cummings.
Somnambulist

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Flanders wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:06 pm
The EPA's webpage specifically lists animal shelters as one of the places rendering plants get their products. Even if they aren't being used in animal food, the other things they are used for is soaps, cosmetics, perfumes, plastics, etc. Its really messed up to think, Hey this fabulous new shade of lipstick I got is made from the cats and dogs that died in the shelter a month or two ago.
Eh, I don't know too much about the makeup anymore. I'm very into makeup; it's a life passion and hobby. Brands cannot escape being non-vegan these days. You guys think social media for racing is bad? Start following anything do with the beauty community. It is brutal and it's 2019; using animal-derived products is on the way out. I own dozens of lip colors but I think the most animal product in them is beeswax. It's not nearly as common in makeup these days.

Racing should not entertain a single thing PETA has to say. TSG was already stupid enough to break bread with these morons, it doesn't need to get worse.