Breeders Cup Discussion?

sweettalk

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:59 pm

i thought i heard someone say he fell. i hope not.
edit; good, DIDN'T fall. hope that's a good sign.
Last edited by sweettalk on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kezzz__

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Seems War Of Will was more at fault and stepped on Mongolian Groom, Gaffalione dropping the reins and stopping riding may of been a horrendous idea, in hindsight.
Charlie

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 pm
Charlie wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:52 pm
I heard he wasn't training all that great :/

Damn, did he go down or just pull up?

Who would have thought (last year) that Vino Rosso would have not only been a winner, but a top pick for the Classic.
He was pulled up, didn't fall according to the announcers.

They just mentioned he went on the van. I don't think they'd do anything on the track under any circumstances, not today.

Awful. All those scratches, people talking about this horse behind the scenes, and this happens. Could only be worse if he fell.
Yea a fall is way worse, this way you can't twist it to the horse being pushed (etc etc) as he was pulled up and given vet care immediately and it's not nearly as ugly.
They have been talking up about how much vet attention these horses have been getting as well. Only 1 horse out of what, 14 races, is very good stats. Of course, it still sucks and hates that it happened.
Somnambulist

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:01 pm

I guess it depends if the tent went up, right? The tent is bad, bad optics. Wish I knew.
Last edited by Somnambulist on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TapitsGal

I hope the best for Mongolian groom but fear the worst. If he's euthanized the breeders cup board of directors is going to have a huge public outcry and shit show on their hands for refusing to relocate to another track. If Mongolian groom dies that'll be the third santa Anita death this week...I feel horrible for his connections...I've been watching the road to the classic series and it's clear they adore him
Somnambulist

TapitsGal wrote:
I hope the best for Mongolian groom but fear the worst. If he's euthanized the breeders cup board of directors is going to have a huge public outcry and shit show on their hands for refusing to relocate to another track. If Mongolian groom dies that'll be the third santa Anita death this week...I feel horrible for his connections...I've been watching the road to the classic series and it's clear they adore him
Maybe. Sandy Hook is closer to 10 years and nothing has been done. I'm not too sure, but the timing can't be worse.
Somnambulist

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:02 pm

NBC can't even show the actual full finish... this can't be good.
Tessablue

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:03 pm

Well, the industry gambled and lost. It's horse racing; I don't know why we expected a win. Now an entire sport holds its breath.

It was fun talking to you all today before this happened. Thank you everyone for making this day so fun; wish it had ended better.
Somnambulist wrote:
I guess it depends if the tent went up, right? The tent is bad, bad optics. Wish I knew.
I saw on twitter that it did.
Flanders

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:04 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:02 pm
NBC can't even show the actual full finish... this can't be good.
It looked really bad and I couldn't focus on the race afterwards.
sweettalk

Tessablue wrote:
Well, the industry gambled and lost. It's horse racing; I don't know why we expected a win. Now an entire sport holds its breath.

It was fun talking to you all today before this happened. Thank you everyone for making this day so fun; wish it had ended better.
Somnambulist wrote:
I saw on twitter that it did.
he was loaded though, so i'm guessing if the tents went up for a load, it had to be a bad break...
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:06 pm

If it's a "clear" fracture he can be alright. Jock did the best he humanly possible could with the fast pull up, so lets hope for the best.

I wish they would have made scans mandatory before the races for every horse (I guess that's what coming next year... oh and actually have someone look at the scans who has an idea at what he's looking at, not like in Australia ahem), there's just some stuff you can't see with the naked eye (even with 14 vets looking at all the horses), doesn't show til it's too late.

@Treve: operation wise ya, laminitis wise nope.

@Som: I know it's bad optics with the tent, but I don't give a damn if it prevents the horse from getting more upset and they can stabilize him sooner. Wish people wouldn't always think they are euthanizing a horse just because screens get put up. (Not a rant directed towards you, just because of the situation and the public)
CoronadosQuest

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:07 pm

Just watched the replay as I was too focused on Vino Rosso and McKinzie to notice it before... definitely looked like the same type of injury Barbaro had :(
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:08 pm

sweettalk wrote:
he was loaded though, so i'm guessing if the tents went up for a load, it had to be a bad break...
It was a bad break (same as Barbaros, guess both Sesamoids are gone), but generally those tents go up to prevent the horse from spooking and restricting it's movement.
TapitsGal

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Do the tents going up always mean euthanasia? Or is it just to protect the horses privacy?? The tent went up when Always a Princess broke down and she lived. The tents also went up for Barbaro and if I recall they put them away as Michael Matz was concerned the screens were spooking him
Somnambulist

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:10 pm

Tessablue wrote:
I can only speak about myself, but I fell in love with this long before I knew black from white or right from wrong. Other girls were boy crazy but I was horse crazy. I played dumb imaginary games with horses, pieced my dumb Champion horse legs back together with tape and a home made leg wrap (thanks mom). Failed high school classes because I was too concerned with pedigree charts and sales results. The idea the horse could take you to national media attention? Wow. My mom told me the first time her stepdad watched me she ended up catching me in a field with this massive Belgian (poor mom, didn't realize they're bred for kindness) and I was sitting down laughing while this horse was letting me stick his fingers up his nose totally nonchalant and my grandpa being like, eh whatever. The way that horse's nose felt is the very first thing I remember.

20 years into it I guess I should expect more than a fairytale, but I guess it's finally time to join the real world. My heart is broken.
Somnambulist

TapitsGal wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 pm
Do the tents going up always mean euthanasia? Or is it just to protect the horses privacy?? The tent went up when Always a Princess broke down and she lived. The tents also went up for Barbaro and if I recall they put them away as Michael Matz was concerned the screens were spooking him
I think it's much akin to the NFL - HIPPA privacy.
sweettalk

Kurenai wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:08 pm
sweettalk wrote:
It was a bad break (same as Barbaros, guess both Sesamoids are gone), but generally those tents go up to prevent the horse from spooking and restricting it's movement.
ah, yeah hadn't considered that about the tent.
that's... not good news on the injury.
Somnambulist

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:11 pm

Kurenai wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:06 pm
@Som: I know it's bad optics with the tent, but I don't give a damn if it prevents the horse from getting more upset and they can stabilize him sooner. Wish people wouldn't always think they are euthanizing a horse just because screens get put up. (Not a rant directed towards you, just because of the situation and the public)
I hope people here have as limited a focus as they do on other things. We see this privacy tent go up all the time in football now - maybe it's normalized
luvsgeldings

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:14 pm

did anyone see any contact between WoW and Mongolian Groom late in the stretch? during the live broadcast, it looked like WoW was slowing down or pulling up near the rail and Tyler G was looking behind him at Mongolian Groom who was also getting pulled up and you could tell, MG had gone wrong.

my heart is broken for MG - I really hope he is ok - but it did not look good.

I was so happy that Vino won.

but that quickly faded when you see that MG went wrong.

I am just sick for that animal and the people who love him.
Tessablue

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:15 pm

Saw someone on twitter who was very close say that it didn't look like a compound. Fervently hoping that was the case.
Somnambulist wrote:
I can only speak about myself, but I fell in love with this long before I knew black from white or right from wrong. Other girls were boy crazy but I was horse crazy. I played dumb imaginary games with horses, pieced my dumb Champion horse legs back together with tape and a home made leg wrap (thanks mom). Failed high school classes because I was too concerned with pedigree charts and sales results. The idea the horse could take you to national media attention? Wow. My mom told me the first time her stepdad watched me she ended up catching me in a field with this massive Belgian (poor mom, didn't realize they're bred for kindness) and I was sitting down laughing while this horse was letting me stick his fingers up his nose totally nonchalant and my grandpa being like, eh whatever. The way that horse's nose felt is the very first thing I remember.

20 years into it I guess I should expect more than a fairytale, but I guess it's finally time to join the real world. My heart is broken.
So real, so painful. There was so much joy and love today, in the winner's circle, in the interviews before and after the races... I'm just absolutely gutted. I don't know how rational this anger towards the BC committee is, but they knew this was the danger. We all did.

The love of this sport has passed through generations of my family. I grew up with fairytales about Secretariat and Affirmed. But this simply isn't sustaintable. The best- maybe the only, at this point- way to love and support this sport is to make it better.