Honor Code ...

Slewfan2

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:15 pm

Is it too early to be concerned about Honor Code? He’s got 2 winners from 16 starters and neither one of those look that good. I’m following all of his progeny, and the only one who has shown much is Bellavia, who finished a very good second to an Asmussen speedster. There’s one out in CA, Honor A.P., who ran well in his debut, but I find it hard to believe a horse who drops 20 plus lengths back will be successful. I know about Zenyatta and Honor Code himself, but they’re rarities.

I know HC’s babies sold well at auction, but none of them are taking money on the track, so it makes me wonder if they aren’t developing well. He won sprinting, so his offspring shouldn’t be struggling this badly nearing September. I’m not saying he’ll sire sprinters, but his offspring should be showing more promise. AP Indy’s first babies ran well even when they didn’t win ...
Mylute

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:21 pm

I think it's too early to declare anything. It's likely that his kids might need time to mature.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Somnambulist

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:49 pm

He's not in jeopardy of being put on a smoker just yet.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:31 pm

Is that code for being sold to Korea? :P
Somnambulist

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:50 pm

I've eaten a lot of Korean food and the meat is rarely smoked. I think Americans are mostly in love with smoked meat. I know I am.

I don't view Korea as the death sentence most people do. But it's not even September I think the rumors of Honor Codes demise are greatly exaggerated.
sweettalk

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:17 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
I've eaten a lot of Korean food and the meat is rarely smoked. I think Americans are mostly in love with smoked meat. I know I am.

I don't view Korea as the death sentence most people do. But it's not even September I think the rumors of Honor Codes demise are greatly exaggerated.
https://deadspin.com/why-are-good-young ... 2CVo2dcF4E

this article came out, and one of our exports was seen covering a mare w a large wrap on one leg. it's just got ppl understandably concerned (the extent of their concern being justified or not, i can't comment on, but i'm nervous, too, so i can't talk).
Somnambulist

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:39 pm

sweettalk wrote:

this article came out, and one of our exports was seen covering a mare w a large wrap on one leg. it's just got ppl understandably concerned (the extent of their concern being justified or not, i can't comment on, but i'm nervous, too, so i can't talk).
The people who are understandably concerned ignore a whole lot of other things and likely continue to wager on American racing. Despite it's problems and at times flagrant disrespect of horses. Animal loves freak out about everything. America is probably 4x the size of Korea and this probably happens here too, but it's just easier to hate cultures that aren't your own (definitely not saying that you're doing this).

The xenophobia exporting our horses to Asia is startling and always has been. For something to be bought it needs to be sold. What we eat and are willing to eat is largely culturally derived. I eat mostly plant based, but I'd still rather pet horses than eat them. A decent part of the world probably doesn't understand how we eat cow.
middleground

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:04 pm

Somnambulist wrote:

The thread drift (HC's foals to Korean food prep) is kind of wonderful.

FWIW, I seem to remember some anxious discussion when Curlin and Ghostzapper's first crops didn't start winning graded races from the get go.
Slewfan2

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Ok, this thread took an unfortunate turn. I wasn’t concerned about Honor Code being sent anywhere, FYI.

As I typed this, he just had a colt named Thunder Code run extremely well at 5 1/2 furlongs - he was blocked the last part of the race, to boot.
CoronadosQuest

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:06 pm

The Honor Codes that I have seen in races all seem to have his late closing kick so I would suspect that he may get more winners once races start getting longer. Plus, for those worried he will be shipped out, I think it would take more than a slow-starting first crop for Lanes End to get rid of a G1 winning son from AP Indy's last crop.
middleground

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:54 pm

Slewfan2 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 pm
Ok, this thread took an unfortunate turn. I wasn’t concerned about Honor Code being sent anywhere, FYI.

I think he'll be a successful sire.
Somnambulist

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:10 am

middleground wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:04 pm
Somnambulist wrote:

The thread drift (HC's foals to Korean food prep) is kind of wonderful.

FWIW, I seem to remember some anxious discussion when Curlin and Ghostzapper's first crops didn't start winning graded races from the get go.
All these years and you expect something different? I love to eat more than anything else in the entire world. I ate Korean food near exclusively for 2 years.

But I also think he'll be fine as a sire.
Slewfan2

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Thanks, guys, for being so rational, lol. I tend to worry, so now I'm more relaxed......

Coronado's Quest, yep ......the only one I've seen who hasn't been a real closer is Bellavia. By the way, Honor Code really stamps his offspring; they all seem to be big, dark with gorgeous blazes down their faces.
Horsebagger

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Relax people. We've got 3 Honor Code's on the ground and happy with all 3. Our 2yo filly just needed more time. I think it's probably as simple as he isn't going to throw precocious speedballs, which as a son of AP Indy might be the best thing for his longer term success anyway.

111 foals in this 2yo crop. 16 have debuted in a totay of 26 starts (i think i have those stats right?). Hardly a sample to judge yay or nay from.

First thing that might happen that would raise alarms would be what LE does with the fee this winter, signaling whether his demand is weakening. If the breeders start shunning him at this fee, then I'd start to raise an eyebrow, but I doubt it happens yet because he was not overly priced to start his stallion career like Bernardini arguably was.
Ziggypop

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:38 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:39 pm
sweettalk wrote:

The people who are understandably concerned ignore a whole lot of other things and likely continue to wager on American racing. Despite it's problems and at times flagrant disrespect of horses. Animal loves freak out about everything. America is probably 4x the size of Korea and this probably happens here too, but it's just easier to hate cultures that aren't your own (definitely not saying that you're doing this).

The xenophobia exporting our horses to Asia is startling and always has been. For something to be bought it needs to be sold. What we eat and are willing to eat is largely culturally derived. I eat mostly plant based, but I'd still rather pet horses than eat them. A decent part of the world probably doesn't understand how we eat cow.
I hate the behavior in the US too. I don’t eat meat because of abject disrespect of the creatures by employees associated with the slaughter of any species, in any country. How all the factory farm animals are treated during their lives until the last drip of blood leaves their bodies is evil and maniacal.

If this is all the further the horse industry, of any breed, has evolved over the past, even 50 years, it needs to die.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:36 pm

Som: A decent part of the world probably doesn't understand how we eat cow.

True. And the whole world would be healthier if we ALL stopped eating cow. :oops:
Retrospectiv

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:22 pm

Not shocked by this early lack of success, but you'd think they'd have bred him to enough speedy 2 yr old sprinting types to get him off the mark a little better.

Realistically, he had ZERO early speed and was, IMO, a one paced grinder who ran from last. Have there been any successful stallions of note, who were run from last grinder types? I'm genuinely curious.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Slewfan2

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:22 pm
Not shocked by this early lack of success, but you'd think they'd have bred him to enough speedy 2 yr old sprinting types to get him off the mark a little better.

Realistically, he had ZERO early speed and was, IMO, a one paced grinder who ran from last. Have there been any successful stallions of note, who were run from last grinder types? I'm genuinely curious.
I disagree. Honor Code was a closer, but he was definitely no grinder or plodder; the horse had an amazing burst of speed with which he won some huge races.

Horsebagger, good luck with your Honor Codes! FYI, I was not suggesting that he get speedballs - I was just surprised that he hadn't had a little more success, that's all.

By the way, if anyone wants to talk further about shipping horses to Korea or elsewhere, please not in my thread....... thank you.
Retrospectiv

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:44 pm

^^ Agree to disagree.
He had one run in him , and frequently had to be got into by the jock to prompt that drive. Wasn't uncommon to see him getting the stick to start him moving.

Didn't answer my question about run from last types as sires though.

Surprised to see the stallion no one wanted, Tonalist, 10 spots ahead of HC right now. Wasn't expecting much for 2 yr olds from him.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Slewfan2

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:38 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:44 pm
^^ Agree to disagree.
He had one run in him , and frequently had to be got into by the jock to prompt that drive. Wasn't uncommon to see him getting the stick to start him moving.

Didn't answer my question about run from last types as sires though.

Surprised to see the stallion no one wanted, Tonalist, 10 spots ahead of HC right now. Wasn't expecting much for 2 yr olds from him.
There's nothing to answer, to be honest; you think Honor Code was a plodder, a grinder, pretty much a slow horse. I don't see him that way and I guess breeders didn't either because he was very popular. I don't know what mares he was bred to so I don't know whether he was bred to sprinting or distance types in general; therefore it's impossible to judge whether he was bred to the right types of mares.