Saratoga 2019

peeptoad

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:03 am

Saratoga was right to cancel... better to do right by the horses and the humans. It;s going to be brutal in Oceanport tomorrow too. High of 96 with a 90% humidity= heat index of ~140+. I really hope they decide to cancel; they could very well pull the card off without a hitch, but it would be terrible to see someone (horse or jock) hurt, or worse.
Already cancelled for at least tomorrow: Spa, Parx, Finger Lakes, Laurel, Delaware, Belterra. Ellis canceled today; decision about tomorrow is pending.
stark

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 am

Any quotes from trainers about running their horses in the Haskell?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
honneerider

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:19 am

I, also, would love trainer and jockey stance on racing at Monmouth tomorrow
https://amp.app.com/amp/1775729001?__tw ... ssion=true
https://www.app.com/story/sports/2019/0 ... 775729001/
Last edited by honneerider on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:42 am

With so many other tracks having already canceled for Saturday, it would be against human nature for Monmouth management to look at this and not think "Let's run and have the East Coast bettors all to ourselves for a day." Maybe horsemen/jockeys advising them that they will refuse to run/ride under such conditions will be the only way short of a governmental declaration of a state of emergency to get Monmouth to scrap the weekend card(s).

I also hope TVG won't be playing the victim here and pleading for the card to be run to protect its own investment in the day.
peeptoad

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:27 pm

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ue-to-heat
Maryland Equine Medical and Health Director Dr. Elizabeth "Libby" Daniel said Maryland racing doesn't have a "set number for a heat index" that warrants a cancellation, but she has had discussions with officials in Maryland and other states. There is agreement that a heat index of 105 is an "absolute."
NJ must not have been one of the other states...

eta: PETA has apparently already issued a statement regarding the MON officials going forward with the Haskell card despite the extreme heat. Hopefully all ends well (fingers crossed)
Somnambulist

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:24 pm

The social media pressure on Monmouth to cancel is pretty crazy. I'm not sure if I've seen anything like it. At least, for racing.

Of course most of them are from silly people who can't spell or type of sentence. Ignorance goes a long, long ways though and it's killed things bigger than racing.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:22 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:24 pm
The social media pressure on Monmouth to cancel is pretty crazy. I'm not sure if I've seen anything like it. At least, for racing.

Of course most of them are from silly people who can't spell or type of sentence. Ignorance goes a long, long ways though and it's killed things bigger than racing.
Oh, the irony, That should be "type a sentence." :twisted:

Seriously, I attended race cards held in similar conditions several times in the pre-social media days and they all proceeded without incident. The tracks that are canceling this weekend -- and they included Woodbine, Belterra and Ellis today, even though Woodbine's card was to start at 4 p.m. and avoid the worst of today's heat -- must surely have had one eye on the Twitterverse when making their decisions. At this point, trying to stand strong against social-media shaming is a battle not worth fighting in many cases, no matter how strongly you believe you're in the right. Monmouth really has no good reason to run any races tomorrow or Sunday; horse racing is in far too much danger of being voted and/or legislated out of existence if it does.

Idle thought: Could it be that the future of racing at Monmouth is in jeopardy if the track's one big day has to be scrubbed? I know that "We'll lose our shirts if we don't" is not going to get a great deal of sympathy as a reason to open the doors and run horse races in 100-degree weather in the current social atmosphere, but what if the track truly will not be able to survive a lost weekend?
Mylute

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Why didn't they just postpone the Lake George?

G3 had a 3 horse field...
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Mylute wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 pm
Why didn't they just postpone the Lake George?

G3 had a 3 horse field...

Probably because the scratched horses were declared too late to do anything with the race but run it with a three-horse field. There was a maiden turf mile for 2yos at Laurel this afternoon that scratched down from eight horses to four. Everyone in the industry is walking on eggshells these days., not wanting to be the next Santa Anita, the next Hollendorfer.
Charlie

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:43 pm

I read that they may postpone the start or the card if the heat index is too high, but I read this article found on FB, so I don't know if it's accurate.

Seems like the best idea, don't have to run the horses and jockeys in this stupid heat, without having to move it to another weekend/canceling.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:45 am

They plan to start the card at noon, but if the heat around 3-4 (when it's supposed to be the worst) becomes too dangerous, they have the freedom to take a break. Run the Haskell at 8, if they have to.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... g-the-heat
middleground

Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:23 pm

Tom's d'Etat was just the easiest kind of winner today in the Alydar. Second dam is a full sister to Candy Ride. I was sort of hoping for a better showing for Backyard Heaven; about a year ago I thought he was going to have a top class career.
MySaladDays

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:53 am

I watched SAR for a few weeks.......too chalky for my tastes to actually bother wagering .

I played a few "on paper" in some contests. Even losing interest in that. So many scratches.
Rick1323

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:59 pm

I have been up here for much of the meet this year, so I will make a few comments from my personal perspective.

The Saturday cancelation was a good call. The humidity is what may have killed a horse or two. I went on Sunday, IMO that should have been canceled as well.

There are a ton of scratches every day. But if you like to bet, it is for a good reason. Turf races will often have 15 or more horses entered, with a few being MTO. It gives the track a chance for 6-8 starters is the race gets washed off the turf.

We are staying very close to the backside this year, in fact in the middle of it. The work that goes into this sport is brutal, unforgiving and largely done by illegal immigrants. If a further crack down does occur, the dynamic of this game will change drastically. I have always known this, but being so close to it has confirmed it.

When Baffert comes to town, especially with Money Mike, no price is too short. Take the price and use it as a single in horizontal bets.

Prices are out of control. Not only at the track, but all throughout Saratoga Springs. $6 for a bottle of water? Seriously? Maybe I am really noticing it now because we came for an extended stay this year.

The new VIP building past the finish line is beautiful. They managed to make it fit beautifully right next to a grandstand built in 1880. It is about $300 for a day there, but it includes a buffet and open bar. The AC is the big draw.

Still the best racing in America and I like the new 5 day format.
Everyone come home sound.....
peeptoad

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Rick1323 wrote:
I have been up here for much of the meet this year, so I will make a few comments from my personal perspective.

The Saturday cancelation was a good call. The humidity is what may have killed a horse or two. I went on Sunday, IMO that should have been canceled as well.

There are a ton of scratches every day. But if you like to bet, it is for a good reason. Turf races will often have 15 or more horses entered, with a few being MTO. It gives the track a chance for 6-8 starters is the race gets washed off the turf.

We are staying very close to the backside this year, in fact in the middle of it. The work that goes into this sport is brutal, unforgiving and largely done by illegal immigrants. If a further crack down does occur, the dynamic of this game will change drastically. I have always known this, but being so close to it has confirmed it.

When Baffert comes to town, especially with Money Mike, no price is too short. Take the price and use it as a single in horizontal bets.

Prices are out of control. Not only at the track, but all throughout Saratoga Springs. $6 for a bottle of water? Seriously? Maybe I am really noticing it now because we came for an extended stay this year.

The new VIP building past the finish line is beautiful. They managed to make it fit beautifully right next to a grandstand built in 1880. It is about $300 for a day there, but it includes a buffet and open bar. The AC is the big draw.

Still the best racing in America and I like the new 5 day format.
Rock and roll, Rick. Racing is alive and well at the Spa, that's for sure. I echo the sentiment on the heat wave situation and I also agree on the new schedule. The price hike was one reason I got a picnic table this year.
Rick1323

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:46 pm

peeptoad wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Rock and roll, Rick. Racing is alive and well at the Spa, that's for sure. I echo the sentiment on the heat wave situation and I also agree on the new schedule. The price hike was one reason I got a picnic table this year.
We did the 4 star Dave this year. I walk out to watch the races, unless it is crowded. Nice cross breeze. You have to hide your cooler in the bushes since they don't allow them.....
Everyone come home sound.....
Horsebagger

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Rick1323 wrote:

We intend to poke a hole in this team on Travers Day :roll:
Rick1323 wrote:
I toured it one morning and was impressed with both the architecture and interior finishes. Quite the alternative from the pre-historic state of the main grandstand. One concern I had was efficiency of betting, as it seemed to lack SAM terminals and spots for tellers. Any issues getting your wagers in??
stark

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Wassup with track records falling?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
middleground

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Big day for Animal Kingdom: 3 winners, 2 in stakes.