Equibase chart notes

Della

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:46 pm

Many charts give the barest bones of what transpired in a race, but once in a while, you come across a real gem that clearly reflects excellent writing and care. Today, I read the chart for Belmont's 6th race as I follow Gidu (a Frankel colt) and wanted to acknowledge the commitment of this anonymous chart writer who vividly captured the efforts or lack thereof of each horse and its jockey:

Footnotes
GIDU (IRE) away without apparent mishap, spurted off from the competition, was pulling a bit on the left, but with the pilot not fighting the mount, opening up things from the three path during the opening half, shifted closer to the rail after the second fraction had been finalized, saw the rider reacting with indifference as the field closed in readily proceeding on the fuller turn, responded when asked for some run himself in the vicinity of the three-sixteenths pole, padded the margin a little, felt the presence of the second place finisher in the final stages but dug in with good determination to stay in the clear. ANNALS OF TIME in with his first step, appeared to make light contact with the gate with its left hind quarters, sat reserved two wide travelling on the backstretch, advanced towards the winner, same as the others from the top of the bend until its end, got angled six wide into the stretch, straightened away and rallied with willingness down the center of the course, fell short. NOBLE INDY took the inside route, co-led the charge towards the runaway pacesetter, springing from the half mile pole, cut the corner and was turned loose, failed to make headway once the winner got roused. BIG HANDSOME was in path two in pursuit of the loose leader, going about the task from between rivals for a good portion of the trip on the turn, commenced the stretch slightly wider, lacked a solid closing punch. MULTIPLIER two wide early, moved into the three path leaving the half mile pole, was under encouragement fanning out into path seven from upper to midstretch, becoming the widest of all, rallied mildly. ZAPPERINI three wide to the quarter pole, tired. AWESOME SATURDAY a bit awkward with its initial step, underwent a ground-saving journey, had no response. HAVE AT IT launched a three wide to secure a prominent position, albeit as it turned out , too far back to apply any pressure on the winner, was one path closer to the rail on both the backstretch and the turn, completed three-quarters and gave way. V.I.P. CODE three wide on the chute, was strung out four wide on the turn, failed to reach a contending position
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:43 pm

Those really are nice and detailed chart notes, Della.

I read all the chart notes for my favorite horses including, of course, those I own and others in the barn. Sometimes it drives me nuts, when I can see with my own eyes they are trying so hard. Then the notes say something like "made no impact." No impact makes it sound like they didn't even exist. Good Lord, give them some credit for their efforts even if they fail.

Some common brief chart notes are definitely a pet peeve of mine. I agree with applauding the good ones like this! Thanks.
Della

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:17 am

I've always wondered who the chart writers are, and how you get to become a chart writer. Does the same person do all the races on the card, or are there a couple working alternate races. I imagine they use the replay to focus on each horse. Definitely seems like a really interesting job if you love to watch and analyze races.