Mylute

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:42 pm

I picked a Belmont winner!
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:44 pm

If Master Fencer ever gets a fast pace up front... he closed very nicely again, was actually surprised how well he did (again!).
Northport

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Yayyyy another classic winner for Ol’ Awesome Again! Heck of a run by Joevia.
weeeeeeeee
Treve

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:46 pm

YEAH SIR WINSTON! Was just telling my friend he was one of the three I was rooting for because of his Awesome Again and Afleet Alex ancestry ;)
Shame Master Fencer went so wide, I think if the jock had been more patient he would've gotten an opening on the inside. He was closing fast.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
tachyon

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Congrats to Sir Winston!
He had a classic pedigree and his jockey gave him a perfect ride!
Master Fencer closed well again.
He must have needed another furlong. :lol:
Flanders

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Tracy Farmer has either luck or fate on his side. Both Sir Winston and his dam RNA'd when he tried to sell them, Sir Winston as a yearling and La Gran Bailadora as a weanling.
Somnambulist

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Wow. What a perfect day. We didn't win much, but my hair is still straight and my foundation hasn't slid off my face. Perfect temperature and no humidity.

Much, much less crowded than the past few years and a tame crowd. Still have to thank Tessa for the secret 3rd floor bathroom that saved my life a few times.

The only bad thing is it went to fast. It would be nice if it slowed down sometimes.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
luvsgeldings

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:09 pm

congrats to the winner - love Joel Rosario - happy for him and the horse - nice win.

WoW and Tacitus were wide on both turns - didn't think that helped them much obviously in a 1 1/2 race - and Master Fencer.... love him - but he was on his wrong lead for much of the stretch - he tries hard though.

could not believe there was bumping going on between the casse horses and the mott horse - thought WoW looked a little dull in the paddock - so wasn't surprised he faded - maybe running in all three TC races caught up to him poor boy.

the summer should be a hoot - lots to look forward to - and the Travers..... should be very interesting - cannot wait.
Tessablue

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Wow. What a perfect day. We didn't win much, but my hair is still straight and my foundation hasn't slid off my face. Perfect temperature and no humidity.

Much, much less crowded than the past few years and a tame crowd. Still have to thank Tessa for the secret 3rd floor bathroom that saved my life a few times.

The only bad thing is it went to fast. It would be nice if it slowed down sometimes.
Glad it came through for you! I agree that although it did feel a bit rushed, this was an absolutely perfect day at the races. Crowd was more bearable than it has been in years, the racing was spectacular, the weather was perfect.

And the first Belmont I've ever hit was thanks to a chestnut wearing the Farmer silks... I'm so emotional about it. Tough to tell from the stands how the race went, but it looked like a gorgeous ride by Rosario. And Tacitus was so wide but tried so hard. Love him.

Now let's see if Suffolk can match this tomorrow ;)
Sparrow Castle

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:15 pm
Somnambulist wrote:

Glad it came through for you! I agree that although it did feel a bit rushed, this was an absolutely perfect day at the races. Crowd was more bearable than it has been in years, the racing was spectacular, the weather was perfect.

And the first Belmont I've ever hit was thanks to a chestnut wearing the Farmer silks... I'm so emotional about it. Tough to tell from the stands how the race went, but it looked like a gorgeous ride by Rosario. And Tacitus was so wide but tried so hard. Love him.

Now let's see if Suffolk can match this tomorrow ;)
So glad you guys had such a great day. Nothing like good weather, a great card, and well-mannered crowd for a fantastic day at the track! I'm jealous, and happy that there was no drama today! And picking winners sure is a nice bonus!
MySaladDays

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Northport wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:45 pm
Yayyyy another classic winner for Ol’ Awesome Again! Heck of a run by Joevia.
I was so happy about that. I was at the track and tried to talk 4 guys into betting the awesome agains......I loved the dam, she was fast and broodmare of the year in 2000. (they didn't like everfast or sir winston and rolled their eyes at me after the race.) ;)

Congrats to My Lute for stating winner before race.

Hope Middleground put a show bet on Jovia.

And yes, Master Fencer ran another good race.
Della

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:45 am

Props to Mylute and Raven for picking Sir Winston!
Mylute

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:43 am

So the 2019 TC saw two winners with juvenile seasons based in Canada.

War of Will was second in the Summer Stakes.
Sir Winston won the Display Stakes and hit the board in the Grey Stakes.

They're both Mark Casse trainees of course but it is still very neat.
Izvestia

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:23 am

Mylute wrote:

That is cool, but perhaps it signals a crop that is lacking in quality. Because let’s face it, they weren’t even the best colts at Woodbine at 2. I love racing at Woodbine and Canadian bred/raced horses, but yeah...
Mylute

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:29 am

Izvestia wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:23 am
Mylute wrote:

That is cool, but perhaps it signals a crop that is lacking in quality. Because let’s face it, they weren’t even the best colts at Woodbine at 2. I love racing at Woodbine and Canadian bred/raced horses, but yeah...
Not sure that signals anything.

I mean people will use anything to say a crop is weak.
stark

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:10 am

The fact that SirWinston went off at only 10-1 (the same as BourbonWar and Spinoff) speaks volumes about this group.

From a handicapping perspective one had to be pretty forgiving and optimistic about his chances.

Non-winner at age 3. (has any horse done that before?)
Failed to win in two G2s and two G3s this year all at long odds (46-1 in the Tampa Bay Derby)
Two wins lifetime from nine starts and those came on a artificial surface at age 2.
Andy Serling on his podcast "I dont like him, but understand those that do off the close in the PeterPan"

Congrats to Raven and Mylute for seeing thru it all.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Tessablue

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Sir Winston was a great Belmont horse and could have been lower than 10-1. His race in the Peter Pan was easily good enough to win, he had been training great, and he has one of the best distance pedigrees imaginable. With the Pletchers barely lifting a foot yesterday, by the end of the day I couldn't find anyone else to use with Tacitus. The field wasn't as good as it could have been, but the fact that the crowd was relatively successful at handicapping the race doesn't indict its overall quality.

Tacitus, Game Winner, War of Will, Maximun Security, Omaha Beach, even Sir Winston and Country House. There are plenty of nice 3yos this year, and they are all still in training. I would certainly call that a win.
Mylute

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Sir Winston's coat reminds me much of Accelerate. Don't know how to describe it other than like...chocolate peanut butter. Interesting chestnut shade.
Somnambulist

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Mitole is a beast. There is really nothing more I love than really fast horses. I wonder if they try to stretch him out another furling because he didn't look like he'd have a problem going a little further. That pedigree might have a problem though.

The most underrated story of the weekend is Catalina Cruiser. That is another beast.

The amount of bad rides Smith gives out on good horses is interesting.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."