Kelly Rubley et al

stark

Sun May 19, 2019 11:37 am

When watching the bio on Kelly Rubley who trained Alwaysmining for the Preakness, I was actually surprised to hear that a female trainer had never won a Triple Crown race.

Linda Rice
Michelle Nevin
Carla Gaines
Victoria Oliver

just to mention a few who are more than capable of accomplishing the feat, wassup with why not?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Flanders

Sun May 19, 2019 6:32 pm

They don't enter horses often and you can't win if you don't have a horse in the field. Between 2015 and yesterday's Preakness there were two horses entered trained by female trainers.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few that have placed, Shelley Riley with Casual Lies(2nd KD), Nancy Alberts with Magic Weisner(2nd Preakness), and Kathy Rivto with Mucho Macho Man(3rd KD).

The Travers has been won by a female trainer, back in 1938.

Its not much different for female jockeys either. Of course, Julie Krone won the Belmont on Colonial Affair. But in 2013, Rosie Napravnik became the first female jockey to ride in all the Triple Crown races.
stark

Sun May 19, 2019 7:31 pm

I would think it's much more difficult when it comes to jockeys, female vs. male at the upper echelon.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out a reason a woman hasn't trained a triple crown winner, no reason I can think of.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Flanders

Sun May 19, 2019 8:26 pm

They can't win if they don't have horses to enter in the races. If you have 2 entries in 5 years that isn't good odds. How many female trainers have entered? I don't have time to look at hundreds of charts, I looked at 5 years. I would guess the average number of horses entered in the Triple Crown each year is approx. 40. Thats 2 out of 190 horses entered in the TC races in the past 5 years, since the Belmont hasn't been ran yet.. That is 1% of the horses entered in the races. I can't image the years before that were much higher. Perhaps they don't have the clientele that goes after the TC races? I know Linda Rice, Iris Smith, and Sheila Rosenblum were trying to get TC horses but they only started their partnership a couple years ago.
MySaladDays

Sat May 25, 2019 3:55 am

stark wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:31 pm
I would think it's much more difficult when it comes to jockeys, female vs. male at the upper echelon.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out a reason a woman hasn't trained a triple crown winner, no reason I can think of.
Helen Pitts did a fantastic job as Curlin's conditioner.

(Asmussen and Jackson got a "finished product" when they bought him). But even he did not win the TC.

Michelle Nihei did a great job with Prince Will I Am. She was a John Hopkins Neuroscientist before deciding to switch careers to horses. :)