2019 Preakness Stakes

User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3392
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Tue May 07, 2019 2:35 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:08 pm
Kudos to Bill Mott for putting his horse first. I'd rather a trainer care about his horse's health than run them when they are not at 100%. I swear that every time I read twitter comments I wonder if they really only care about the horse's safety/health right after they die. Bill Mott is one of the good guys in this sport and it pains me greatly to see people treat him like he is one of the villains.
The Homeless Handicappers Facebook group is pathetic.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4517
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Tue May 07, 2019 2:44 pm

I agree yes it’s a shame if the horse is on the verge of a cold that keeps him out of the race but ita a good thing Mott is looking after him.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Calypso
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:56 am

Tue May 07, 2019 2:46 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:08 pm
Kudos to Bill Mott for putting his horse first. I'd rather a trainer care about his horse's health than run them when they are not at 100%. I swear that every time I read twitter comments I wonder if they really only care about the horse's safety/health right after they die. Bill Mott is one of the good guys in this sport and it pains me greatly to see people treat him like he is one of the villains.
We need to have a 'like' button for posts like these. Even as reporters were shoving microphones in his face and putting words in his mouth right after the Derby, Mott kept his cool and remained a class act. He made a few good points but never offered an opinion on whether or not his horse deserved to win, he just kept saying it's up to the stewards. Good for him for staying neutral on saturday and putting the horse first today. Nobody is perfect but Mott is definitely one of the good guys.
Soylent green is....tasty!!!
luvsgeldings
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Tue May 07, 2019 3:41 pm

I feel bad for Country House. poor horse. hope he gets better and stays healthy. none of the fallout from this Derby has anything to do with him. he ran a terrific race. tried very hard all the way. and from that dreaded post 20. he will do more great things ahead when he is healthy again. best of luck to him.
User avatar
Della
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:24 am
Location: Plymouth Meeting, near Philly, PA
Contact:

Tue May 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Apollo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:06 pm
Awesome decision to allow this edition the obscurity it deserves
I thought you were going away because you didn't care....
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Calypso wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:46 pm
CoronadosQuest wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:08 pm
Kudos to Bill Mott for putting his horse first. I'd rather a trainer care about his horse's health than run them when they are not at 100%. I swear that every time I read twitter comments I wonder if they really only care about the horse's safety/health right after they die. Bill Mott is one of the good guys in this sport and it pains me greatly to see people treat him like he is one of the villains.
We need to have a 'like' button for posts like these. Even as reporters were shoving microphones in his face and putting words in his mouth right after the Derby, Mott kept his cool and remained a class act. He made a few good points but never offered an opinion on whether or not his horse deserved to win, he just kept saying it's up to the stewards. Good for him for staying neutral on saturday and putting the horse first today. Nobody is perfect but Mott is definitely one of the good guys.
If anyone is equipped to deal with nutty press people, it's Mott. Remember, he trained Cigar and many of us remember the zoo that surrounded him post-Cigar's loss to Dare and Go. He is and has been a class act.
Laurierace
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:21 pm

Tue May 07, 2019 7:12 pm

stark wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:55 pm
Laurierace wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:20 pm
I apologize if this is against forum rules but I am looking for a couple more tickets to the Preakness so if you are unable to attend or disillusioned and don't want to attend let me know what you have.
just my recommendation......I'd start a new thread so that this request sticks out, it'll get buried here and not seen by enough people.
Good luck, enjoy!
That’s probably a good idea but we have some time so for now I will just bump it. I assume the prices will be plunging now with the news that there will be no Derby winner in the Preakness for the first time in 24 years. I am looking for at least 4, don’t have to be together.
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Tue May 07, 2019 8:33 pm

So, if you're running Pimlico or Belmont right now -- what's coming down the pipeline?

Two guaranteed (generally) good turnout days may be heavily impacted because the Derby DQ won't run, and the Derby winner is sick. You have no TC to fuel anything, not even any sort of 'can Country House stamp himself as one of the champions?' or 'rematch of the Derby winners' storyline to push.

I have no clue if this will cause any sort of ripple effect, but it seems primed for some other tracks to start making noise about inconsistent rulings if said rulings can hurt them extensively. The 2019 Derby could be a catalyst for a drive to switch to European rules. I'm curious to see it play out.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Apollo
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Tue May 07, 2019 10:46 pm

Priceless. I may not stop laughing for 2 weeks.

I'll pay no attention to the Preakness and I'll have plenty of company.

They should saddle up that female chief steward from Churchill Downs and parade her at Pimlico. After all, she's the lead domino.
sweettalk
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Wed May 08, 2019 1:16 am

public: horses are abused and run into the ground! no one cares about their health and safety!
mott: well CH is sick, so we're going to err on the side of caution and pass on the preakness
public: SSUUUUUUURRRE he is, you just think you'll lose and it'll affect the stud fee!

:?: :?: :?:
RuffiantoRags
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Wed May 08, 2019 1:26 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:16 am
public: horses are abused and run into the ground! no one cares about their health and safety!
mott: well CH is sick, so we're going to err on the side of caution and pass on the preakness
public: SSUUUUUUURRRE he is, you just think you'll lose and it'll affect the stud fee!

:?: :?: :?:
Ha, I kinda almost agree with that!
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6041
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed May 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Wednesday’s Preakness Updates
War of Will (War Front) returned to the track Wednesday at Churchill Downs for the first time since being bumped around and tangling legs with Maximum Security (New Year’s Day) in Saturday’s GI Kentucky Derby. He crossed the line eighth, but was promoted to seventh after the disqualification of his aforementioned rival.

The flashy bay was scheduled to jog Tuesday, but trainer Mark Casse did away with that plan after he noticed the colt was feeling some discomfort in his right front foot. It was discovered that the shoe had shifted during the race.

“After a day or two, it was starting to bother him,” Casse said. “He was a little uncomfortable [Tuesday] morning. So we pulled his shoe off, soaked his foot, put his shoe back on today. And he was 100% and went out to train today.”

War of Will jogged a mile Wednesday morning and is being pointed to the GI Preakness S. May 18.

“I do a lot of jogging with him anyways,” Casse said. “Obviously, we just missed winning the Preakness two years ago by a head with Classic Empire (Pioneerof the Nile). I never breezed him in between the two races, and I’m not going breeze this one either.”
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/pr ... odexpress/
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu May 09, 2019 1:32 am

It was discovered that the shoe had shifted during the race.

They didn't discover that until Tuesday!?
I'd have thought they would have gone over every square inch of WoW's legs, ankles and feet with a microscope after that race. How do you miss a shifted shoe? :shock: :oops:
Izvestia
Posts: 4045
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 am

Do people not remember Country House ran 3 tough races in 6 weeks? And, that Mott generally takes his time with his horses and doesn’t run them into the ground? Why would Mott change his philosophy just to have a chance in 1 race?
Prior to the Derby, Mott wasn’t entirely sure they would run him, because it was a lot to ask of him.
Also, Preakness is smaller and has tighter turns - not exactly designed for a big long-striding horse.
And... look what happened when they pressed on with a 3-year-old who arguably wasn’t 100% last year. After the Belmont, never raced again. In that case, perhaps it was related to stud fee... but I will go to my grave thinking they sacrificed Justify’s soundness/health for the TC.
stark
Posts: 5183
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Thu May 09, 2019 10:14 am

Bourbon War worked five furlongs in 1:01.91 Friday morning over the Belmont Park main track, his final breeze in preparation for the $1.5 million Preakness on May 18.

Bourbon War, equipped with a thin-cupped blinker that he has worn in four consecutive breezes, started a length in front of stablemate Carlino, who was ridden by Jose Lezcano. Bourbon War, most recently fourth in the Florida Derby, is expected to wear blinkers for the first time in a race in the Preakness.

In Friday’s work, Bourbon War went his opening quarter in 24.23 seconds as Carlino, on the outside, moved within a head of Bourbon War. Bourbon War maintained a slight advantage through the lane, getting his final quarter in 25.71 seconds while regaining a length advantage at the wire.

Bourbon War continued to gallop out steady, going six furlongs in 1:15.29, seven furlongs in 1:28.80 and he went out a mile in 1:42.91.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/47991-bourb ... -preakness
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3392
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 am

Apollo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:46 pm
Priceless. I may not stop laughing for 2 weeks.

I'll pay no attention to the Preakness and I'll have plenty of company.

They should saddle up that female chief steward from Churchill Downs and parade her at Pimlico. After all, she's the lead domino.
The fact you keep coming back here to whine despite claiming to not care less is priceless.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
aethervox
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:48 am

Thu May 09, 2019 1:35 pm

FYI.

Maximum Security came out of the Derby with abrasions on his hind legs, per Horse Racing Nation on May 7.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... Derby_123#
Ben Glass, racing manager for owners Gary and Mary West, said Maximum Security exited the Derby with abrasions on his hind legs, the reason connections haven’t thought further about entering the son of New Year’s Day in the May 18 race at Pimlico...

...After Maximum Security arrived Tuesday to Monmouth Park, trainer Jason Servis had a professional photographer document the wounds. A state vet also signed an affidavit confirming they were fresh from the race.

"This is why Jason said we can’t go — because he’s got abrasions and swollen a little bit," Glass added. "Mr. West and I, we were leaning toward the Preakness if we got this overturned. We were going to go for the Triple Crown."
aethervox
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu May 09, 2019 2:41 pm

IIRC, WoW's jockey said that his colt's and Max's legs made contact, and I'd say that photos of abrasions on Max's legs proves just how close WoW came to being brought down.
User avatar
CoronadosQuest
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Thu May 09, 2019 3:39 pm

That doesn't shock me at all. When Max came over, WoW pretty much was right on his butt an inch or two away from stepping on him completely. Just shows how lucky we are that WoW didn't completely fall down during the race.
luvsgeldings
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Thu May 09, 2019 7:51 pm

very glad that both MS and WoW did not go down - if MS has cuts on his legs, he could have easily gone down as well from the contact - scary - and by the way, those pictures of MS arriving at Monmouth, yikes - he looked really thin to me - could see a lot of ribs showing - felt bad for the boy.

this is the really lousy stuff that happens in the Derby each year - horses coming out of the race with cuts and scrapes - such a rough race - poor animals.
Post Reply