Kentucky Derby : Do you agree with the stewards decision?

Kentucky Derby : Do you agree with the stewards decision?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 89
stark

Mon May 06, 2019 11:49 am

Considering it's a mainstream audience on national TV he was talking to, he sure sounded like a burned out, disgruntled horse racing fan to me. Probably fit the picture many watching already had in mind.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
peeptoad

Mon May 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Category One.
I totally agree with the Hong Kong chief steward
luvsgeldings

Mon May 06, 2019 1:22 pm

I felt badly for that woman holding that huge bouquet of roses - when I saw that picture - seems sort of pathetic to give them to her.... and then what? someone came over to take them away from her? awkward. handled very badly. humiliating for that woman who had nothing to do with the outcome.

how many things did Churchill screw up in this mess - why did they hand her the flowers before they knew the race had gone official? for that matter, that objection sure took a while to show up - Donna Brothers had already interviewed Saez, Rice had already interviewed Servis and someone handed Mrs West roses - all while no one seemed to know there was an objection.

stewards never posted the inquiry sign.

for sure, this was not one of CD's finest moments.
Tessablue

Mon May 06, 2019 1:47 pm

From: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... oday-show/
“I obviously saw the horse move out but in the Kentucky Derby where you've got 20 horses … and you shouldn't have 20 horses in the Kentucky Derby. Churchill Downs, because they're a greedy organization, has rather than 14 like you have in the Kentucky Oaks, the Breeders' Cup, every other race in America, just because they can make more money they're willing to risk horses' lives and peoples' lives to do that,” said West. “I'm not a fan of that.
Yeah because that's exactly the sort of thing you should be rambling on about on national television given where the sport is at right now, especially after your green horse almost caused a horrific catastrophe.

Pleasantly surprised by Servis's attitude so far, but if he can handle it, so can these rich owners. Granted, it's not West's first public racing tantrum. I'd forgotten that he threated to sue the BC a few year back over their (short-lived) 2yo lasix ban.
firehorse

Mon May 06, 2019 1:56 pm

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
Somnambulist

Mon May 06, 2019 1:59 pm

I get how emotional it must be to feel you won to have it ripped away from you, but yeah he isn't giving a great account of himself right now.

If it's so unsafe why did you enter your horses?
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Charlie

Mon May 06, 2019 2:48 pm

Tessablue wrote:
“I obviously saw the horse move out but in the Kentucky Derby where you've got 20 horses … and you shouldn't have 20 horses in the Kentucky Derby. Churchill Downs, because they're a greedy organization, has rather than 14 like you have in the Kentucky Oaks, the Breeders' Cup, every other race in America, just because they can make more money they're willing to risk horses' lives and peoples' lives to do that,” said West. “I'm not a fan of that.
Yeah because that's exactly the sort of thing you should be rambling on about on national television given where the sport is at right now, especially after your green horse almost caused a horrific catastrophe.

Pleasantly surprised by Servis's attitude so far, but if he can handle it, so can these rich owners. Granted, it's not West's first public racing tantrum. I'd forgotten that he threated to sue the BC a few year back over their (short-lived) 2yo lasix ban.
hmm, I never saw them mention anything about the dangers of 20 horse field before. Amazing how "losing" can cause such a change in opinion :roll:

Anyway, the DQ is totally justified and should have happened. MAx interfered with more than one horse that had forward momentum and almost caused a serious accident. The only problem is that it highlights just how inconsistent DQs are.
Horsebagger

Mon May 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Charlie wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:48 pm
Tessablue wrote:

hmm, I never saw them mention anything about the dangers of 20 horse field before. Amazing how "losing" can cause such a change in opinion :roll:

Anyway, the DQ is totally justified and should have happened. MAx interfered with more than one horse that had forward momentum and almost caused a serious accident. The only problem is that it highlights just how inconsistent DQs are.
West : "I obviously saw the horse move out"

West's Legal Counsel: Thanks. Our legal claim (whatever imagined claim we may have had) is kaput, Boss. (no wonder Donald was tweeting in support of him)

Let's move on, Sir. You're embarrassing yourself.
ElPrado2

Mon May 06, 2019 3:56 pm

I was going to say something...
But I can't. I'm laughing too hard.
Thank you, Horsebagger. Post of the day award to you.😂
firehorse

Mon May 06, 2019 4:33 pm

‘No One Ever Calls An Objection In The Derby’: Baffert Miffed At Kentucky Derby Outcome

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... y-outcome/
Somnambulist

Mon May 06, 2019 4:36 pm

firehorse wrote:
‘No One Ever Calls An Objection In The Derby’: Baffert Miffed At Kentucky Derby Outcome

Just because it's never done means it's ok?

"Don't wanna be a part of the good ole boy's club"
firehorse

Mon May 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:36 pm
firehorse wrote:

Just because it's never done means it's ok?

"Don't wanna be a part of the good ole boy's club"
I took it as more of a shot at the ole boy’s club, ie for Mott lodging a complaint when he got his ass kicked.
Tessablue

Mon May 06, 2019 4:55 pm

I am.... disinclined to be generous towards Baffert, but I think it's worth noting that he probably wants to keep Game Winner in his barn.

Game Winner was incredible in the Derby, by the way. I didn't realize until today that he was back there with Master Fencer near last early. He would have been making noise at the finish if he hadn't gone literally 100 feet further than Maximum Security.

West has two very brave and admirable 3yos. I hope he allows the national media to appreciate them.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon May 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Seems odd for Baffert (of all people) to bring up a 'never been done before in the Derby' sort of objection...considering how many 'never been done before' traditions he broke with Justify. :P
The observation about wanting to keep Game Winner's owner happy could be spot-on.
Starine

Mon May 06, 2019 8:06 pm

Am I supposed to believe that if Roadster or Improbable was involved in that mess he wouldn't have made a peep?
Mylute

Mon May 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Starine wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:06 pm
Am I supposed to believe that if Roadster or Improbable was involved in that mess he wouldn't have made a peep?
^^^
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Spahny

Mon May 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Ok. Let them play. I get it. If they are leaning on each other down the lane like Freehouse and Sliver Charm in the Preakness, or PVal and Sunday Silence keeping Day and Easy Goer on the rail after he shut them off on the back stretch... That's competition. And great history. All for it.

Maximum Security freaked and bolted and it's a miracle that War of Will did not clip heels and go down. There was no race riding going on. The horse lost control and it nearly took out everyone running behind him. So instead of crying about this reality maybe people like Baffert and West might take a second to think about what they might be dealing with right now if some horses died and jocks were seriously injured. How much would that trophy mean to you then? Because you were very lucky that is not what happened. Every time I look at the video I can't believe WOW stayed on his feet.
Somnambulist

Mon May 06, 2019 8:32 pm

I thought only millennials were entitled.
Mylute

Mon May 06, 2019 8:57 pm

The majority of the people I see upset about this are people who just handicap and don't actually care about the horses.

Telling.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Somnambulist

Mon May 06, 2019 9:11 pm

Mylute wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:57 pm
The majority of the people I see upset about this are people who just handicap and don't actually care about the horses.

Telling.
I don't agree with this. If anything, any serious bettor that I've spoken to agrees with it. Not that I know many. But I do know enough who care more about handicapping than horses and they agree with the decision. A bettor wants his investment protected after all.

A challenge to the status quo is never going to be an easy pill for most to swallow.