Horse Racing is now officially a joke

Katewerk

Sun May 05, 2019 11:57 am

I don't know if this has been posted in other threads, but there's a view of the incident that didn't play on any of the official broadcast. There was a reason Code Of Honor made up so much ground on the rail during the incident.

https://twitter.com/CarsoniPH/status/11 ... 0144457730
MySaladDays

Sun May 05, 2019 11:58 am

Katewerk wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:35 am
To think that we might have been talking this morning about the multiple fatalities of Derby 145 caused when War of Will "couldn't avoid" Maximum Security -- instead of a controversy over the stewards' decision.

Horse racing dodged a bullet the size of a cruise missile yesterday.
THIS ^^^^^
stark

Sun May 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Katewerk wrote:
I don't know if this has been posted in other threads, but there's a view of the incident that didn't play on any of the official broadcast. There was a reason Code Of Honor made up so much ground on the rail during the incident.

Put Calvin Borel on the 1-WarOfWill and he wins the race!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 12:11 pm

The amount of press we are getting over this is insane.

All over ESPN, morning news shows, all over talk radio, Donald Trump is commenting on it... this might not be a bad thing.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Spahny

Sun May 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Somnambulist wrote:

All over ESPN, morning news shows, all over talk radio, Donald Trump is commenting on it... this might not be a bad thing.

The point some of us were trying to make yesterday. And much better that the attention is over an official decision rather than an 8 horse pile up with fatalities.
Tessablue

Sun May 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Somnambulist wrote:

Lmaaaaoooo I just saw the tweet. Now I know it was the right decision.

Let everyone argue over who was robbed and who wasn't. It's benign, it'll drum up interest the next time the two (hopefully) meet, and it'll make all the people who like to have strong opinions on things they know little about switch from "horse racing is EVIL" to "horse racing is UNFAIR." Which is perfectly fine.
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:26 pm
Lmaaaaoooo I just saw the tweet. Now I know it was the right decision.

Let everyone argue over who was robbed and who wasn't. It's benign, it'll drum up interest the next time the two (hopefully) meet, and it'll make all the people who like to have strong opinions on things they know little about switch from "horse racing is EVIL" to "horse racing is UNFAIR." Which is perfectly fine.
How lucky are we that we have Mott be the one to handle this? He spoke to the press so well and just laid down the facts professionally.
CoronadosQuest

Sun May 05, 2019 12:36 pm

Katewerk wrote:

Wow, you can really see how much Long Range Toddy had to take back from being squeezed so hard when WoW had to check. Also, you can see that WoW was ready to roll when that happened.
Blame

Somnambulist wrote:

Agreed. They great thing is when Maximum Security wins the Preakness and 30,000 people show up for the Belmont Stakes instead of 100,000 the decision will cost the corrupt NYRA millions. Maybe it wasn't such a bad decision after all. :lol:
Last edited by Blame on Sun May 05, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoronadosQuest

Sun May 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Blame wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:

Yeah, tell that to Belmont Park when Maximum Security wins the Preakness and 30,000 people show up for the Belmont Stakes instead of 100,000. This decision will cost the NYRA millions. Maybe it wasn't such a bad decision after all. :lol:
Luckily, Maximum Security's connections are thinking of skipping the Preakness so this scenario may not even happen.
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Attendance has been capped at 90k for a few years soooooo

I love events that continue to expose people for what they are.
Blame

Sun May 05, 2019 12:41 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:
Blame wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:

Yeah, tell that to Belmont Park when Maximum Security wins the Preakness and 30,000 people show up for the Belmont Stakes instead of 100,000. This decision will cost the NYRA millions. Maybe it wasn't such a bad decision after all. :lol:
Luckily, Maximum Security's connections are thinking of skipping the Preakness so this scenario may not even happen.
Hilarious. They aren't skipping anything. Horse is made for the Preakness. They will never catch him on that track.
luvsgeldings

people keep talking about what catastrophe could have occurred if horses went down in the final turn yesterday and how racing dodged a bullet. well hello, this happens every year (almost) in the first turn of the Derby's - and yes, bad stuff could really happen there too - so what is the difference? start making calls on that stuff that happens in the first turn then. or at the start of the race. bad things can happen there too.
Blame

Sun May 05, 2019 12:43 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:38 pm
Attendance has been capped at 90k for a few years soooooo

I love events that continue to expose people for what they are.
Great. So 30,000 people instead of 90,000. :lol:

Greatest thing is that idiot ThinAir is yapping about how the right decision was made and he is so stupid he doesn't even realize it will cause the corrupt joke not-for-profit he works for millions. :lol:
Treve

Sun May 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Blame wrote:
CoronadosQuest wrote:
Blame wrote:

Hilarious. They aren't skipping anything. Horse is made for the Preakness. They will never catch him on that track.
https://www.drf.com/news/preview/countr ... -preakness
“Right now, I don’t think we would consider running him in the Preakness,” Gary West, who owns Maximum Security with his wife, Mary, said Sunday. “He ran really, really hard yesterday, and not having a Triple Crown in play. it probably doesn’t make any sense to push the horse when you don’t have to do it.”
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
ElPrado2

Sun May 05, 2019 12:45 pm

Hey. Blame, better tell that to his connections. They are the ones that said that without the TC on the line they would skip Pimlico.
Treve

Sun May 05, 2019 12:46 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
people keep talking about what catastrophe could have occurred if horses went down in the final turn yesterday and how racing dodged a bullet. well hello, this happens every year (almost) in the first turn of the Derby's - and yes, bad stuff could really happen there too - so what is the difference? start making calls on that stuff that happens in the first turn then. or at the start of the race. bad things can happen there too.
I would think this decision will impact future Derbys where jockeys might think twice about turning their horses into one unit wrecking balls (looking at you Rajiv on Irish War Cry).
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Blame

luvsgeldings wrote:
You are too logical. Don't you know all the idiots that are saying "the rules say it was interference and he must be taken down" are the same idiots saying interference in the first turn in just part of racing. What a bunch of frauds.

This is the KY Derby. Horses should never come down for something as silly as interference in the first turn or what happened yesterday. It is what happens when a huge field of 3yr olds race. All this bumping and interference is to be expected. Horse should never have been taken down. Have seen much worse at the start of the race virtually every year.
luvsgeldings

poor Maximum Security - he looked totally spent yesterday after the race - his head was hanging so low when they kept walking him around in circles as they were waiting for the stewards - I felt so bad for him - he gave it all he had in that race yesterday - I would not be surprised if he skipped the Preakness.
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 12:47 pm

Blame wrote:
luvsgeldings wrote:
You are too logical. Don't you know all the idiots that are saying "the rules say it was interference and he must be taken down" are the same idiots saying interference in the first turn in just part of racing. What a bunch of frauds.

This is the KY Derby. Horses should never come down for something as silly as interference in the first turn or what happened yesterday. It is what happens when a huge field of 3yr olds race. All this bumping and interference is to be expected. Horse should never have been taken down. Have seen much worse at the start of the race virtually every year.
I'm sorry you lost money.