Horse Racing is now officially a joke

sweettalk

Sat May 04, 2019 10:30 pm

luvsgeldings, i think you nailed why there's outrage even if the angry ppl don't realise that's why they're mad (like i was). was this a foul worthy of a DQ? absolutely. have we seen as bad, or worse, in this same race no less, and have it go down as nothing more than a minor chart note? absolutely x2. som's noticed it (likely one of the first), that the unpredictability of who gets DQ'd and why made this particular DQ harder to stomach than if inquiries and DQs had some kind of consistency.

som also keeps beating me to posts, i vote we DQ her.
middleground

Sat May 04, 2019 10:36 pm

I left horse racing, never to return, when I was 11 and Majestic Prince was robbed of a Belmont win.

Since then, I estimate that I've vowed never to return approximately 300 to 400 times. Based on historical precedent, I'm guessing that my outrage over the Derby will last about two weeks. (I'm still mad about Majestic Prince, though.)
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 10:38 pm

middleground wrote:
I left horse racing, never to return, when I was 11 and Majestic Prince was robbed of a Belmont win.

Since then, I estimate that I've vowed never to return approximately 300 to 400 times. Based on historical precedent, I'm guessing that my outrage over the Derby will last about two weeks. (I'm still mad about Majestic Prince, though.)
I was bitterly done after Street Sense lost the Preakness... I so hated Curlin.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Palace Malice

Sat May 04, 2019 10:42 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
middleground wrote:

I'm on the other side... I loved Curlin :mrgreen:

Didn't we all hate Blame when he beat Zenyatta?
Somnambulist

Hell no! Speak for yourself.

I think everyone in the entire country heard me screaming with joy. I vividly remember everything about my surroundings. It was amazing.

I smile thinking how Blame is even better in the shed. Pettiness dies hard..
Horsebagger

Sat May 04, 2019 10:45 pm

Somnambulist wrote:

I think everyone in the entire country heard me screaming with joy. I vividly remember everything about my surroundings. It was amazing.

East coast bias...........
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 10:46 pm

No, I hate it here. But I'd never move. The bagels are better, though.
firehorse

Sat May 04, 2019 10:47 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:45 pm
Somnambulist wrote:

East coast bias...........
and pettiness.
djnorth

Sat May 04, 2019 11:43 pm

middleground wrote:

My dad always said "Never again." after a losing day at the track, every weekend for over 70 years! I'm still trying to figure out how Big Ten (I think!) is linking animal cruelty to the dq. I think I need that explained.

I do agree with those who question earlier non-dqs. Maybe this is the pivotal moment where stewards will start to call on the incident not the connection.? (All the cynics cut to Steve Martin in old SNL medieval doctor parody, going "Naaaah!!")
MySaladDays

Sun May 05, 2019 12:24 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:46 pm
No, I hate it here. But I'd never move. The bagels are better, though.
So is the pizza. I moved from one of the oldest italian neighborhoods in the U.S (in New Haven) and having previously lived in NYC, to South of the mason dixon line 17+ years ago.
I"ve forgotten what a real bagel tastes like, and ditto, real pizza. :lol:

OTOH, people in the northeast don't know what a good piece of Boudin tastes like, so I guess it's six o' one, half dozen of another. :)
Big Ten

Sun May 05, 2019 12:26 am

https://youtu.be/-jwy9m9oDg0

^ After watching this replay, it was the right decision. But I no longer care about the sport. It's still animal cruelty especially for the lower ranks that get sent to slaughterhouses. It's no better than greyhound racing and even cock fighting.

Watch Maximum Security win the Preakness and Belmont. It's going to sting more. I won't watch either though. I was joking with my parents telling them watch the Milwaukee Bucks lose a Game 7 at home by some controversial decision.

I don't care if they close down Santa Anita. That's how much of a joke horse racing has become for me. When its greatest appeal involves a bad vice like gambling, it will always be controversial and crooked.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
MySaladDays

Sun May 05, 2019 12:30 am

Big Ten wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:26 am
https://youtu.be/-jwy9m9oDg0

^ After watching this replay, it was the right decision. But I no longer care about the sport. It's still animal cruelty especially for the lower ranks that get sent to slaughterhouses. It's no better than greyhound racing and even cock fighting.

Watch Maximum Security win the Preakness and Belmont. It's going to sting more. I won't watch either though. I was joking with my parents telling them watch the Milwaukee Bucks lose a Game 7 at home by some controversial decision.

I don't care if they close down Santa Anita. That's how much of a joke horse racing has become for me. When its greatest appeal involves a bad vice like gambling, it will always be controversial and crooked.
What's really fun is when you get to watch a trainer, and her beau, because you are standing behind them, walk away with thousands and thousands, after their horse wins,.........and you are in the line at the mutuel clerk and they have to close down the entire bank of tellers/line "because they ran out of money"

:shock:
MySaladDays

Sun May 05, 2019 12:33 am

I wonder how many bettors complained bitterly, when in order to get 3 horses into the Derby gate, Baffert had one of his riders "hand over" the win to his only horse who needed to win in order to MAKE THE GATE.

I know many bettors lost money on that race, too.
CoronadosQuest

Sun May 05, 2019 12:45 am

Palace Malice wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
middleground wrote:

I'm on the other side... I loved Curlin :mrgreen:

Didn't we all hate Blame when he beat Zenyatta?
I was actually a fan of Blame and happy for him. I felt he was highly underrated come BC Classic time.

There are lots of reasons to hate horse racing and quit... a DQ where a horse almost caused a few horses to fall down, is not one of them.
seahawkgal

Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 am

Somnambulist wrote:
middleground wrote:

And then he lost to a girl. :lol: ;)
Treve

Sun May 05, 2019 10:05 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:25 pm
Ehhhh IDK. It won't be a joke. High drama = high intrigue = all good.

The public's, and my, memory is bad. Does anyone even remember Jordyn Woods is a person (I do.. I want the eye-shadow palette to go on sale)?. Does anyone remember my father being the only person alive to wear Champion -- and now a shitty sweatshirt is $60? Thoughts thought with a heaping dose of emotion are not ones that often stand up over the course of time.

Man, we weep at MOKH which I am 90% sure was amended to avoid it's deeply racist history but moving a horse down who almost caused a pile up is bad.
My old Kentucky home was actually written as an abolitionist song originally, the idea was to communicate the plight of the slaves and create a sense of sympathy and nostalgia in those who would hear it. Same with O Holy Night - the French merchant who wrote it originally was anti slavery.

I don’t know if you’re referring to something else I may not be aware of pertaining MOKH but the song itself as it was written originally was the opposite of racist, it was pro human rights. Saying this as someone who is mixed race I was really really surprised but pleasantly so when I learned it.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Mylute

Sun May 05, 2019 10:07 am

I was pissed after the 2014 Belmont, but not at Tonalist; mostly mad at the fact Chrome had to get stepped on and then run the whole way with an injured foot (I don't blame Espinoza either, can't just stop the race to check)

I was also mad after the 2016 Preakness. Yeah, let's just set suicide fractions over a sloppy track- which my horse have never ran on - when there's a closer who loves mud in the race. And then let's repeat in the Haskell!
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Katewerk

Sun May 05, 2019 10:35 am

To think that we might have been talking this morning about the multiple fatalities of Derby 145 caused when War of Will "couldn't avoid" Maximum Security -- instead of a controversy over the stewards' decision.

Horse racing dodged a bullet the size of a cruise missile yesterday.

Of course the decision to DQ is worthy of debate -- but not anger. Some of the people here have lost their sense of perspective.
Treve

Sun May 05, 2019 11:10 am

I'm going to go against the grain here and say this decision is actually refreshing and my interest in racing took a hit after last year's Belmont to be perfectly honest. In spite of that I stuck around, even went down to see the Travers in person and got to spend a wonderful day at the races and hang out on the backstretch with some of the awesome folk who are working in this industry I have (had?) so much passion for and dream of entering.

But the fatigue with some of the crummy decisions from connections regarding multiple horses and eventually the gut hit in the BCC - highs and lows of racing of course, that's normal... followed by the Eclipse Awards. I don't think I watched any prep races in full - maybe Omaha Beach, whom I was rooting for but overall I wasn't the slightest bit invested in the Derby this year. When he was scratched out I figured I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it live if it impeded with my dog training schedule. I was hoping for Master Fencer and Plus Que Parfait to do well but that was it. And indeed, I didn't even watch the Derby live this year - hell I forgot the Derby was on throughout the day until people started blowing up my phone asking me if I had seen it and what I thought of it (because people who know me know my interest in racing). I probably would have checked out entirely the first few months were I not so anxious to see American Pharoah's first babies hitting the track (along with some other promising young sires). Honestly I was having a fantastic day training my dog now that the weather is nice and our club was able to clean up the training field.

So the irony, is, once people started blowing up my phone and I went to check out a replay, I was intrigued. At the time after watching the NBC replay, I thought the stewards made the right decision, which is in of itself shocking because of all the other times they didn't (as outlined by ST and Som). However I wondered if filing the objection was the right thing to do in the first place. When I started seeing the various photos and replay angles, I decided that I am more inclined to believe that filing the objection was the right thing to do, and the fact it was 3 separate riders doing it further reinforced my belief.

Well done, Kentucky, well done. I've perked up to the rest of the year.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
luvsgeldings

Sun May 05, 2019 11:18 am

I just hope horse racing continues with the law that was laid down yesterday in the Derby. and I mean in all races and at every point of those races.

but you know that is not going to happen.

and how about 'race riding' -- heard mike smith talk about it in the past like 'hey just put your big boy pants on'.

horses and riders can be hurt by those tactics. does this type of thing result in DQ's every time?