Baffert now has the 3 shortest prices in the field

Blame

Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 pm

The Derby is becoming a joke. It just goes to show you owner's don't care if trainers have killed horses in the past with unnecessary drugs, all they care about is winning.

The sport is becoming a joke. Why don't we just reward Santa Anita for all their breakdowns while we are at it, and move the Breeders Cup to CA permanently.

Cheating pays in horse racing. Sad.
Izvestia

Wed May 01, 2019 7:51 pm

Blame wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 pm
The Derby is becoming a joke. It just goes to show you owner's don't care if trainers have killed horses in the past with unnecessary drugs, all they care about is winning.

The sport is becoming a joke. Why don't we just reward Santa Anita for all their breakdowns while we are at it, and move the Breeders Cup to CA permanently.

Cheating pays in horse racing. Sad.
I want to barf. If BB wins again, I will just f’ing barf. All the horses dying at SA and (not being reported), all the horses crippled at SA... drugs, early retirement, everything... Horse racing is losing my interest.
I will be rooting for Tacitus, Billy Mott is a trainer I can get behind.
sweettalk

Wed May 01, 2019 8:02 pm

can we have 1 consolidated thread called The Baffert Bash where everyone who hates him can go HAM? less clutter but still all the raging.
Gemini

Fri May 03, 2019 1:07 am

sweettalk wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:02 pm
can we have 1 consolidated thread called The Baffert Bash where everyone who hates him can go HAM? less clutter but still all the raging.
Not a bad idea at all.
ElPrado2

Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 am

I'll second that.
He's not doing any more than anyone else.
luvsgeldings

Fri May 03, 2019 9:32 am

oh yeah its going to make me sick if baff wins another derby this year.

sadly, we lost a really good horse trained by a really classy, honorable, CLEAN trainer who finally had a really great shot at winning the thing. would have been lovely to see him win one Derby finally this year with that wonderful Omaha Beach. and he would have been happy for the rest of his life with just that one Derby win.

now instead, the last thing I want to see is baff win another derby this year.

oh yeah, I will throw in the Starlight Racing horse too. Cutting Humor. those owners and that classless move they pulled today. NOT rooting for them either that's for sure.
stark

Fri May 03, 2019 9:58 am

luvsgeldings wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:32 am
oh yeah its going to make me sick if baff wins another derby this year.

sadly, we lost a really good horse trained by a really classy, honorable, CLEAN trainer who finally had a really great shot at winning the thing. would have been lovely to see him win one Derby finally this year with that wonderful Omaha Beach. and he would have been happy for the rest of his life with just that one Derby win.

now instead, the last thing I want to see is baff win another derby this year.

oh yeah, I will throw in the Starlight Racing horse too. Cutting Humor. those owners and that classless move they pulled today. NOT rooting for them either that's for sure.
While admittedly Mandella has passed every "good-guy" test put before him over a long career, there's one issue I can't figure out. SoCal radio host and former harness trainer Roger Stein was very open and opinionated with regards to reports that Papa "heel nerved" one of his horses. I don't know exactly what that means, but it sure didn't sound good. And, it's not like Rog mentioned it just once or twice, if I had to guess I'd say approximately 117 show segments included this issue.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
luvsgeldings

Fri May 03, 2019 10:19 am

I am not sure what that means either, Stark - I truly would find it hard to believe Mandella would ever do anything to harm one of his horses - and I don't know if Roger Stein was referring to a horse that Mandella had in training or one that Mandella was going to retire so he did that heel thing - Mandella's father was a farrier I am pretty sure - maybe its something Mandella had knowledge about that could help a horse who wasn't going to run anymore? I don't know - but I doubt Mandella would put any horse in jeopardy just to win a race. and if Stein knew about it, than I would guess its something that Mandella wasn't trying to hide and had been open about. Mandella is one of the handful of trainers I still have complete faith in as far as being upstanding and honorable horsemen.
stark

Fri May 03, 2019 10:38 am

Agree!
But Rog sure did make it sound nefarious, maybe he was just hoping to boost his radio ratings?
luvsgeldings

Fri May 03, 2019 10:43 am

you are so right, Stark.... with Roger you just never knew what the main motivation was!!
stark

Fri May 03, 2019 11:12 am

Treve

Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 am

there was a horse at my barn who was chronically lame and they did a heel nerve surgery as a last ditch effort. It enabled him to have a sound light riding and leisure life after his owner retired him, and gave him added quality of life.

It is also commonly used on horses with navicular disease and certain dispensary ligament issues.
Here’s an article that discusses the drawbacks
https://stablemanagement.com/.amp/artic ... on-nerving
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Big Ten

Fri May 03, 2019 12:13 pm

I actually hope that's the case.

I need Maximum Security to be 7-1 or higher but I'll probably end up with 5-1 as someone will put millions on him at the very last minute.

My OG pick, Improbable, is worth a second look. He did finish only 1 length behind Omaha Beach. Earned a 99 Beyer. He does check several boxes.

Win at Churchill? Check.
Experience on the slop? Check.

Roadster lacks both while Game Winner lacks the latter. Throw in Improbable's better post position that has produced 10 winners. And the last three Late Pace figures he's had were in the triples.

Maybe I was right all along that first time! But my sole focus is Max. I would be ecstatic if my OG Derby horse since Christmas who is now relegated as a backup comes through at the end though.

Always go with your first instincts, I guess.

Futures
Maximum Security, 11 x $45 = $500
Improbable, 11 x $25 = $275

$57 Win
#7 Maximum Security, 5 x $57 = $285

Max is going to go down to 5-1. He was 6-1 yesterday. I can already sense it. He won't be the favorite though. Baffertmania is still going strong from last year's Triple Crown hangover.

I predict -
Game Winner - 4-1
Roadster - 9-2
Maximum Security - 5-1
Improbable - 6-1
Tacitus - 8-1

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... p_pick_123

The son of City Zip is what bothers many of us the most about Improbable but then nobody knew a son of Lucky Pulpit could attempt winning a Triple Crown. I remember Lucky Pulpit in that 2004 Santa Anita Derby. He was like 40-1, set the pace, and then faded to 7th.

I was there that day wearing a "I like Rock Hard Ten" and "I like St. Averil" button. I already saw Big Ten the month prior and knew the crowd would be enamored by his sheer size. St. Averil didn't run a lick and my boy got disqualified to 3rd. The last year they offered those buttons.

Ten years later, a son of Lucky Pulpit wins the Kentucky Derby. He actually wins three 10F races in his entire career. Never say never for a City Zip. That chestnut son of Lucky Pulpit five years ago broke from the #5 post as well...

Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.