2019 Kentucky Derby

Sparrow Castle

Sun May 05, 2019 2:08 am

No matter what we do, we can't win...according to USA Today. Can't wait to see how mainstream press cover this.

Opinion: Maximum Security was robbed at Kentucky Derby, yet another black eye in horse racing
Perhaps the most amazing part of horse racing’s decline into relative obscurity among major American sports is that it manages to still pack 150,000 people into Churchill Downs every year for the world’s biggest party on the first Saturday in May. It happens rain or shine, no matter how much they jack up ticket prices, regardless of how many $15 mint juleps it takes to get a comfortable buzz.

And it only grows like that year after year apart from the sport’s typical sinkage for one reason — the Kentucky Derby is special.

It’s less special today.

Every now and then, the best horse in the Derby doesn’t win. It should never be robbed.
More: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 105796001/
CoronadosQuest

https://twitter.com/i/status/1124851782620995584

Kenny McPeek's thoughts on it. He agrees with the Stewards
Dusty

Sun May 05, 2019 2:23 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:51 am
I think we ought to give some sort of award to War of Will. If you follow his hoofsteps in that slow-mo video, you can see him change his stride a bit to avoid the back legs of Maximum Security. I think that took some amazing athleticism to not clip heels and go down, which likely would have taken the sport of horse racing down too. God bless War of Will. He didn't even get a check out of this race, but he deserves to be rewarded.
I agree with you = that could have been very very bad and poor War of Will - sure cost him
May they run with the WIND
Tessablue

Sun May 05, 2019 2:26 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
No matter what we do, we can't win...according to USA Today. Can't wait to see how mainstream press cover this.

Opinion: Maximum Security was robbed at Kentucky Derby, yet another black eye in horse racing
Perhaps the most amazing part of horse racing’s decline into relative obscurity among major American sports is that it manages to still pack 150,000 people into Churchill Downs every year for the world’s biggest party on the first Saturday in May. It happens rain or shine, no matter how much they jack up ticket prices, regardless of how many $15 mint juleps it takes to get a comfortable buzz.

And it only grows like that year after year apart from the sport’s typical sinkage for one reason — the Kentucky Derby is special.

It’s less special today.

Every now and then, the best horse in the Derby doesn’t win. It should never be robbed.
More: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 105796001/
I think, no matter what is written, it's important to keep in mind that worse things would have been written had it gone the other way. Outrage over "robbed" sporting contestants is all the rage these days, and I'd rather read ill-informed takes by sportswriters who just lost their first DQ over thinkpieces about how horse racing is a sport where money matters more than safety.

...that being said, I just looked at the Bloodhorse comments and I think a self-lobotomy is in order. Forget the media, we can't even win among our own fans.

And War of Will deserves a ton of credit for his athleticism. His jockey also seemed to do a great job of grabbing him and keeping him balanced. I have absolutely no idea why people are so fixated on the fact that Gaffalione did not lodge an objection- guy was probably just grateful to be alive by that point.
Miss Woodford

Sun May 05, 2019 2:48 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:51 am
I think we ought to give some sort of award to War of Will. If you follow his hoofsteps in that slow-mo video, you can see him change his stride a bit to avoid the back legs of Maximum Security. I think that took some amazing athleticism to not clip heels and go down, which likely would have taken the sport of horse racing down too. God bless War of Will. He didn't even get a check out of this race, but he deserves to be rewarded.
He certainly earned some extra carrots. Hopefully he wasn't roughed up too much and can come back in the Preakness and/or Belmont, he deserves another (unimpeded!) shot at a classic.
stark

Sun May 05, 2019 2:52 am

Good recap from DRF.
Still the most amazing fact seems to be that if the two jocks, Prat and Court, didn't claim an objection, all would have ended with no change as the stewards never posted their own inquiry sign!

https://www.drf.com/news/preview/countr ... rity?type=
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Sun May 05, 2019 8:50 am

Beyer figures for Maximum Security of 101, Country House 99 in Derby
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 9:41 am

Tessablue wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:26 am
...that being said, I just looked at the Bloodhorse comments and I think a self-lobotomy is in order. Forget the media, we can't even win among our own fans.
There are a lot of racing fans who are really only gamblers only interested in themselves. People in general are really only interested in themselves and how life works out for them. The amount of sure, something bad could have happened, but it didn't it so turn a blind eye is staggering. I

I think the strangest thing I keep reading is how Mott apparently is a bad guy. It take a lot to unite the cranks of racing over anything, but Mott is one of them.

Why do I keep reading that the Belmont is a useless race without a TC on the line? We've had enough of those lately. The entire card is stellar. It's like people actively look for reasons to be unhappy.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 9:48 am

NBC should have done a much better job mentioning that other jockeys were also lodging complaints.
Treve

Sun May 05, 2019 9:50 am

Insane Crazy wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:05 am
Can't help but think about horses who have been really effed over by the 20 horse fields -- Afleet Alex and Curlin somewhat come to mind, and lots others who get banged and cut off -- and this only drives it home more. That was scary AF at the top of the stretch, and everyone scrambling for the lead on that turn makes it even worse. If they're worried about safety, limiting it to 14 sure seems like a good start.
Last year I thought for sure Mendelssohn would go down not only after being brutalised just out of the gates but with Magnum Moon practically twice his size repeatedly veering into and bumping into him twice leading up to and I to the first time and knocking Mendy off stride. I audibly gasp every time I watch the replay because for a split second I’m scared of what will happen.

Same with Classic Empire the year before that.

And these three races all have in common that they were in disgusting sloppy conditions and I can’t help but wonder if that could be a compromise - derby comes up sloppy then it should have a smaller field. It’s hard enough to prevent 20 half ton baby flight animals careening at 45mph from possibly bumping into each other or veering out etc on dry conditions, the slop probably doesn’t help the balance and grip necessary to stay the course and upright.

You gotta wonder if Afleet Alex in the Preakness would have managed to save himself if Scrappy T had blown the turn with 18 other horses behind them instead of just 12 more.

I agree that War of Will (war of Will indeed!) deserves a medal and recognition and at the very least another shot at a classic.

Is Instagrand’s owner gloating yet?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Mylute

Sun May 05, 2019 10:12 am

Maybe WoW's jock and the others didn't throw up inquiries because they figured nothing would happen?

Also, journalism has been dead for a few years now.
Last edited by Mylute on Sun May 05, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
stark

Sun May 05, 2019 10:13 am

From inside the announcers booth....

https://twitter.com/KentuckyDerby/statu ... 1949111299
ElPrado2

Sun May 05, 2019 10:14 am

Limit to 14?
Never happen.
This is CD we're talking about here.
You're lucky they don't try to charge you for breathing their air.
I'm waiting for them to build a second tier over the track and run the also eligibles on it.

Hopefully, I didn't just give them an idea.
stark

Sun May 05, 2019 10:28 am

Glad Omaha Beach scratched, I think he would have been right on Maximum Security's flank turning for home, not a good place to be.
Mylute

Sun May 05, 2019 10:44 am

Alicia Hughes of BH reports that War of Will "doesn't have a scratch on him."
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Delamont

Sun May 05, 2019 10:55 am

stark wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 pm
I still can't figure out why Flavien Prat was the jockey to claim a foul?
Same here.
stark

Sun May 05, 2019 10:59 am

stark wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:50 am
Beyer figures for Maximum Security of 101, Country House 99 in Derby
Turn the clock ahead to next year, whenever "we" discuss winning Beyer numbers for the Derby, which # will it be?
Spahny

Sun May 05, 2019 11:26 am

I left the game for good last night but then felt better this morning so I decided to come back. Just thought the world needed to know.
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 11:30 am

Spahny wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:26 am
I left the game for good last night but then felt better this morning so I decided to come back. Just thought the world needed to know.
:D

I think I need to see a G1 walkover now just so I can say I've seen everything. I feel rejuvinated about this game for the first time in about a year.
luvsgeldings

Sun May 05, 2019 11:33 am

just heard something interesting on local SoCal TB radio show - someone wondering if maybe they could have left the winning horse up in the Derby and just penalize the jock for the ride. (their point being, it seemed wrong to give the win to the second place horse who wasn't bothered that much and whose jockey said right after the race that he had a clear shot in the stretch but couldn't get past the winner).
Last edited by luvsgeldings on Sun May 05, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.