2019 Kentucky Derby

Mylute

Sat May 04, 2019 10:34 pm

Find it weird that there appears to not be an article about the Derby on Bloodhorse. Just two about how the Wests are "gracious in defeat" and one about LNJ Foxwoods.

Not that I'm wanting to start a flame war with the nuthouse that if the Bloodhorse comments, but I was curious as to whether they were allowing comments on the Derby article. Recently they've been pick-and-choosy with what articles they allow comments for.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Palace Malice

Sat May 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Mylute wrote:
Find it weird that there appears to not be an article about the Derby on Bloodhorse. Just two about how the Wests are "gracious in defeat" and one about LNJ Foxwoods.

Not that I'm wanting to start a flame war with the nuthouse that if the Bloodhorse comments, but I was curious as to whether they were allowing comments on the Derby article. Recently they've been pick-and-choosy with what articles they allow comments for.
I noticed it too. Most of their articles don't allow comments now. Weird. I loved to go read those, boo :lol:
firehorse

Sat May 04, 2019 10:39 pm

Mylute wrote:

Probably because 'Country House Wins Derby' isn't accurate and 'Country House Awarded Derby' sounds lame.
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 10:41 pm

The English language is infinite. Surely they could think of some title

Mine that Drama
Derby Day Drama
Every 10 Years Things Go to Shit
Etc.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Mylute

Sat May 04, 2019 10:43 pm

Oop! There it goes!

Like magic!

And oh boy! Comments!
Palace Malice

Sat May 04, 2019 10:49 pm

I kinda wish I could rerun this year Kentucky Derby with no incident. I still think Maximum Security would have won but I'm curious to what would have happened behind with no horses impacted.
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 11:06 pm

Do you guys think this DQ stands if a bigger named trainer trained Maximum Security?

I support this DQ but am wondering anyway.
Mylute

Sat May 04, 2019 11:09 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Do you guys think this DQ stands if a bigger named trainer trained Maximum Security?

Depends on how big the name is.

Because there are names bigger than Servis, but names bigger than those names.
sweettalk

Sat May 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Somnambulist wrote:

i'd be hard pressed to imagine baffert being DQ'd. i like to think he would, but i also like to think i'll win the lottery and that hasn't worked out so far.
Spahny

Sat May 04, 2019 11:22 pm

I think the jurisdiction matters more than the name of the trainer. Kentucky is a 'rules are rules' state.

I had a horse put up a few years back on Derby day because he was whipped across the nose. He was 2nd and trying in vain to run down the leader as there were approaching the finish line. The horse that was taken down was literally a few feet from the finish line when the infraction occurred and he wasn't being passed. He had the race in the bag. Didn't matter. In Kentucky if you whip another horse you're coming down.

I wish I could remember the horses but it was more than a decade ago. I do seem to recall it was a DW Lukas horse that was dq'd.... That's my sort of a round about way of answering no to the question asked.
djnorth

Sat May 04, 2019 11:23 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:11 pm
Somnambulist wrote:

i'd be hard pressed to imagine baffert being DQ'd. i like to think he would, but i also like to think i'll win the lottery and that hasn't worked out so far.
My nomination for Quote of the Year!
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 11:44 pm

I don't see much outrage about it. Seems like the public is happy enough with it and wishes the NFL has the same level of review. Tomorrow someone will die on GOT and we'll be the only people to care.

People still care about football after Dez didn't catch it, the MLB riots, people are somehow still Islanders fans..

Throughout the week I barely wanted to watch but I actually feel proud of racing today. It's nice to feel this way.
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 11:53 pm

The winners name sounds like a bad chain restaurant though.
Insane Crazy

Sun May 05, 2019 12:05 am

Can't help but think about horses who have been really effed over by the 20 horse fields -- Afleet Alex and Curlin somewhat come to mind, and lots others who get banged and cut off -- and this only drives it home more. That was scary AF at the top of the stretch, and everyone scrambling for the lead on that turn makes it even worse. If they're worried about safety, limiting it to 14 sure seems like a good start.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
MySaladDays

Sun May 05, 2019 12:20 am

Somnambulist wrote:

Yes, I do.
CHurchill was sending a message.
Racing is under a lot of scrutiny for being unsafe.
If it was any trainer, they would have done the same thing IMHO

More than 1 rider lodged a complaint, dunno if that came out, but I'm sure their decision was based on safety first thing.

The public doesn't want to see a gladiator fight to the death .....

I have seen some pretty bad stuff in racing, as have you all. Things have finally reached that point. Blaming PETA for the black eye racing is GIVING ITSELF won't work anymore.
Big Ten

Sun May 05, 2019 12:38 am

I will always love the horses in my signature and will cherish memories of several other horses not listed. But I'm done with horse racing with or without the disqualification today.

When I had to deal with the most controversial NFC championship and then the first DQ in Kentucky Derby history 3.5 months later, it's a sign for me to never gamble on sports ever again.

I'm going to watch my favorite sport, basketball, only for fun. And even I know there is alot of BS officiating and how they want to appeal to the bigger markets for higher TV ratings and sales.

It's all kinda staged for me. I might as well just get more into alot more TV shows. Has much entertainment value as sports. Deleted anything with horse racing on my phone even the Secretariat and Seabiscuit e-book I never got to read. I don't want traces of a gambling habit in my blood anymore.

As one joker said last year, horse racing has a malnutrition little Mexican on a horsey that goes around a track for a couple minutes. They should ban gambling in horse racing and also the lower ranks who get sent to their deaths as quickly as greyhounds.

It's car racing with four legs. But they're flesh and blood.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Miss Woodford

Sun May 05, 2019 1:02 am

Big Ten wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:38 am
I will always love the horses in my signature and will cherish memories of several other horses not listed. But I'm done with horse racing with or without the disqualification today.

When I had to deal with the most controversial NFC championship and then the first DQ in Kentucky Derby history 3.5 months later, it's a sign for me to never gamble on sports ever again.

I'm going to watch my favorite sport, basketball, only for fun. And even I know there is alot of BS officiating and how they want to appeal to the bigger markets for higher TV ratings and sales.

It's all kinda staged for me. I might as well just get more into alot more TV shows. Has much entertainment value as sports. Deleted anything with horse racing on my phone even the Secretariat and Seabiscuit e-book I never got to read. I don't want traces of a gambling habit in my blood anymore.

As one joker said last year, horse racing has a malnutrition little Mexican on a horsey that goes around a track for a couple minutes. They should ban gambling in horse racing and also the lower ranks who get sent to their deaths as quickly as greyhounds.

It's car racing with four legs. But they're flesh and blood.
If you're done with horse racing then so be it. But can you not make 100 holier-than-thou posts about it on a horse racing forum?
Tessablue

Sun May 05, 2019 1:18 am

The Trakus numbers are finally up for the Derby! http://tnetwork.trakus.com/tnet/t_Churchill.aspx

Some observations;

Country House ran 51 feet further than Maximum Security. Tacitus ran 76 feet further, and Game Winner ran a ridiculous 103 feet further than the original winner. Game Winner seriously has to stop giving up ground if he's going to be successful in the future.

Despite that, Game Winner actually ran the second-fastest final quarter in the field. His very strong final quarter of 24.89 was beaten only by Master Fencer's remarkable 24.31. Maximum Security's final quarter of 25.34 was very strong for a frontunner, although he was aided by a significant breather between the half and the quarter pole.

Overall, the field came home quite quickly, especially for a muddy Derby. This is typically indicative of a slow pace in the race- interested to see what the figure-makers come back with, and I'll see what my figures say as well.
Tessablue

Sun May 05, 2019 1:43 am

My own figures give Country House a predicted 100 Beyer and Maximum Security a 103. The final time was actually fine given the track and how slow the early pace was, but the field was quite compressed at the finish which indicates a weaker race.

Regarding that pace, which would probably be a major topic of conversation had other things not transpired, it slowed down considerably after that first half. For reference:

-the 6f split of 1:12.50 was the slowest since Animal Kingdon in 2011 and the second-slowest in the past 20 years.
-the mile split of 1:38.63 was incredibly slow. You have to go back to 1974 (1:38.60) to find a Derby with a mile split over 1:38. Prior to that, you'd have to go back to 1958 (1:38.40). The last Derby with a definitively slower mile was 1947, which saw a mile time of 1:40.4.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to evaluate precisely how slow the pace was, because the horses who were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th at the half were all impeded turning for home.
Sparrow Castle

Sun May 05, 2019 1:51 am

I think we ought to give some sort of award to War of Will. If you follow his hoofsteps in that slow-mo video, you can see him change his stride a bit to avoid the back legs of Maximum Security. I think that took some amazing athleticism to not clip heels and go down, which likely would have taken the sport of horse racing down too. God bless War of Will. He didn't even get a check out of this race, but he deserves to be rewarded.