Master Fencer(JPN) to Kentucky Derby

Tessablue
Posts: 3800
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat May 04, 2019 8:34 pm

He was dead last at the head of the stretch, and I have no idea how he made up that much ground. Speaking as someone who has said some unkind things about him, he and his connections deserve credit for a good run. I hope he stays here and gets a chance to show us that closing kick again!
carole
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Sat May 04, 2019 8:38 pm

This is the best finish ever of any foreign horse in the Kentucky Derby right? I too hope he gets to really show how he can run! And Plus Que Parfait who went the Dubai route finished 8th which I believe is also the best finish of any UAE Derby winner in the Kentucky Derby! What a bizarre year.
User avatar
Private Thoughts
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Kentucky

Sat May 04, 2019 9:02 pm

Northern Dancer was from Canada.
carole
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Sat May 04, 2019 9:04 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:02 pm
Northern Dancer was from Canada.
Ah of course! Well, Canada is so close to the US I'm tempted to not count that :P But of course it counts officially, it is another country after all! Let's just say best from another continent then? ;)
Tessablue
Posts: 3800
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat May 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Master of Hounds finished a fairly extraordinary fifth a few years back. But Master Fencer's effort is certainly up there!
User avatar
Private Thoughts
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Kentucky

Sat May 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Omar Khayyam was English bred, as was Tomy Lee. And that other Canadian, Sunny’s Halo. I cheated on a few and looked them up, but not my Canadian heroes. 🤗
carole
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Sat May 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Alright well I’m thoroughly proven wrong :lol:

But nonetheless, very game effort from Master Fencer. Took all that dirt and still made a huge run at the end!
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 pm

I expected that Master Fencer would run better than most assumed he would, especially if the track turned sloppy, because the dirt they have in Japan is so much deeper on average than ours and he would take to it very well.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4491
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sun May 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 pm
I expected that Master Fencer would run better than most assumed he would, especially if the track turned sloppy, because the dirt they have in Japan is so much deeper on average than ours and he would take to it very well.
My dad was rooting for him because he was such a longshot. I had to root for him after reading an interview with his owner and breeder; he seems like a very charismatic and likeable man. I hope this will encourage more Japanese horses to ship and run here in the States. The American Oaks at Hollywood Park was attracting some very nice fillies before that one closed.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sun May 05, 2019 2:31 pm

The chances are probably null but itd be nice to see Almond Eye at the Breeders' Cup, at least.

I know Nuovo Record came over for the BC a few years ago and won the Red Carpet Handicap later that year before she retired. That was nice.

Here's an idea for Japan- let people wager on the people racing into the racecourse at opening! That was something to see. That'll be me if I ever get to go to one of the TC races.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Mon May 06, 2019 9:32 pm

carole wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:33 pm
Alright well I’m thoroughly proven wrong :lol:

But nonetheless, very game effort from Master Fencer. Took all that dirt and still made a huge run at the end!

And he did it without Lasix.
tachyon
Posts: 3788
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 am

Starine wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:16 pm
Mylute wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 pm
I expected that Master Fencer would run better than most assumed he would, especially if the track turned sloppy, because the dirt they have in Japan is so much deeper on average than ours and he would take to it very well.
My dad was rooting for him because he was such a longshot. I had to root for him after reading an interview with his owner and breeder; he seems like a very charismatic and likeable man. I hope this will encourage more Japanese horses to ship and run here in the States. The American Oaks at Hollywood Park was attracting some very nice fillies before that one closed.
I'm pretty sure that they will come. :D
tachyon
Posts: 3788
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Wed May 08, 2019 10:03 am

Palace Malice wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:10 pm
I hope they race him in the Belmont. :D
He is slated to run in the Belmont next.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4481
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Wed May 08, 2019 10:40 am

tachyon wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:03 am
Palace Malice wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:10 pm
I hope they race him in the Belmont. :D
He is slated to run in the Belmont next.
Yay!!!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
luvsgeldings
Posts: 934
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Wed May 08, 2019 2:56 pm

oh that is excellent news that he will run in the Belmont - cannot wait - the Belmont undercard is always fun too!
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2556
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Wed May 08, 2019 8:16 pm

Kate Hunter • Marugai Racing • ケイトハンター • まるがいレーシング
‏7h 7 hours ago

Thank you to Red Brand Fencing for these awesome leather halters! This one will be auctioned off to benefit @Oldfriendsfarm later on after he gets it all worn in for you! Lovely letter of authentication in both English and Japanese from the owner!
Image
Image
Post Reply