Honor Code 2 year olds

Slewfan2

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am

Does anyone know if Honor Code's 2 year olds are well-regarded? Pretty much everything I read is about American Pharaoh, and it's hard to find anything else on Honor Code because when I Google him, I mostly get Code of Honor. I'm not expecting this guy to sire precocious babies, but he was so, so talented and brilliant - and as he's AP Indy's last big son, I've got high hopes for him (he's also exquisitely beautiful).

Thanks!
Old Bones

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:27 pm

“He’s averaged about 150 mares a year, which for us is a very full book,” said Farish. “We are hoping to have him right about there again this year. The reports we are getting from a lot of the 2-year-old breaking farms down in Ocala have been very, very positive.

“Even though you wouldn’t expect him to have 2-year-old sale types, I think he will have some, and those usually really help a horse in his fourth year, when you are trying to get that full book again.”

In addition to a desirable pedigree and clear talent, Honor Code also seems to be stamping his progeny.

“He definitely stamps them,” said Farish. “They have a lot of chrome. They aren’t all the same coloring, but a lot of them have a lot of white. You can usually pick them out pretty easily. He’s a big-bodied, strong horse, and he’s getting that in his yearlings and 2-year-olds.”

more: https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... QzHYpx9CmE
Slewfan2

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:06 pm

Old Bones wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:27 pm
“He’s averaged about 150 mares a year, which for us is a very full book,” said Farish. “We are hoping to have him right about there again this year. The reports we are getting from a lot of the 2-year-old breaking farms down in Ocala have been very, very positive.

“Even though you wouldn’t expect him to have 2-year-old sale types, I think he will have some, and those usually really help a horse in his fourth year, when you are trying to get that full book again.”

In addition to a desirable pedigree and clear talent, Honor Code also seems to be stamping his progeny.

“He definitely stamps them,” said Farish. “They have a lot of chrome. They aren’t all the same coloring, but a lot of them have a lot of white. You can usually pick them out pretty easily. He’s a big-bodied, strong horse, and he’s getting that in his yearlings and 2-year-olds.”

more: https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... QzHYpx9CmE
What a fantastic article......thank you! Wow, Honor Code is a hunk........I love that he's in the stall next to Indy. Crossing my fingers that he leaves an impact on the sport.......
Old Bones

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:08 pm

I feel the same. I hope he carries on the legacy. He's a horse I'm crazy about. I was wowed when he stepped into the Saratoga paddock before his first race as a two year old and I watched him the day after his last race load onto a van at Keeneland to go to his new stud career at Lane's End.
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:21 am

Count me among those who wish Honor Code every success as a sire. My fear for stallions I've become attached to is what happens if they don't succeed at stud. The odds are heavily against any stallion succeeding, and the ones that don't hit immediately tend to get shuffled aside very quickly. The commercial market drives almost everything in the sport these days, and not always in beneficial ways.
Flanders

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 am

I'm really excited for this freshman crop of stallions. Some years the freshman crop just tend to be extra special and I'm hoping this is one.
Treve

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:55 am

I'm with Flanders. I think given the way the yearlings performed at the sales though, that this is already shaping up to be a special crop.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Slewfan2

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Treve wrote:
I'm with Flanders. I think given the way the yearlings performed at the sales though, that this is already shaping up to be a special crop.
Yearling sales prices don't mean much when they hit the track, but we'll see.

Honor Code is so interesting. He wasn't precocious, but he won his debut sprinting; he didn't have early speed, but he had brilliant finishing speed. I really wonder what kind of sire he'll be, what kinds of horses he will sire. He actually ran pretty well, didn't he, in the BC Classic? He wouldn't have beaten AP, but if I recall he either got off to a bad start or had a bad trip, and he end up rallying very well. That's encouraging in terms of whether he can sire classic-type horses.
Izvestia

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Love him, I’m more excited about him over any other new sires this year!
He really reminds me of a bigger, scopier Storm Cat. Just a beautiful horse!!!
ElPrado2

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:18 pm

I think he's gorgeous, too. I hope his runners do well. 4th year stallions seem to have a shelf life of 47 seconds before they have to learn Turkish or Korean. :roll:
Slewfan2

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:50 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:18 pm
I think he's gorgeous, too. I hope his runners do well. 4th year stallions seem to have a shelf life of 47 seconds before they have to learn Turkish or Korean. :roll:
I hope the fact that he's Indy's last son will buy him some time........if he needs it.
Treve

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:54 pm

Slewfan2 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:43 pm
Treve wrote:
Yearling sales prices don't mean much when they hit the track, but we'll see.

Honor Code is so interesting. He wasn't precocious, but he won his debut sprinting; he didn't have early speed, but he had brilliant finishing speed. I really wonder what kind of sire he'll be, what kinds of horses he will sire. He actually ran pretty well, didn't he, in the BC Classic? He wouldn't have beaten AP, but if I recall he either got off to a bad start or had a bad trip, and he end up rallying very well. That's encouraging in terms of whether he can sire classic-type horses.
Of course, I'm just saying that given the average, the yearlings must have looked fairly special for people to pony up those prices. That doesn't necessarily translate to talent as we all know, but to me it does mean it could be shaping up to be a special bunch.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder