Baffert's Most Talented Trainee

Flanders

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:03 am

thinair wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:14 pm
Starine wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:49 pm
Spahny pretty much summer up why I feel American Pharoah was Baffert's best. This was not to say that Arrogate was not also brilliant at times but his rise was meteoric by contrast.

Pletcher's best horse, I think, was Left Bank. He came back from colic surgery as a young horse to beat Breeders' Cup winner Squirtle Squirt in the Vosburgh in 1:20.73, and then closed out his four-year-old season with a win in the Cigar Mile. At five he set a track record by winning the Tom Fool in 1:20.17, and then he stretched to take the Whitney in 1:47.04 (equaling the track record). It was his final start, as he had another bout of colic that cost him his life.
Left Bank was a giant talent. His death was one of three Pletcher trainer horses that died during a very short span during that Summer in Saratoga, all after somewhat surprisingly strong efforts. Warners after an eight length allowance win and Freedom's Daughter, who drew off to an easy win in the Adirondack after engaging in an excruciating early pace battle. Left Bank chased a wicked pace set by a Jerkens horse, whose name escapes me, in that Whitney, yet still easily defeated Street Cry and Lido Palace.
I'm pretty sure he was saved from the colic that happened in the summer after the Whitney. Then was sent to Ashford where he had numerous colic surgeries before he died from complications in the fall.
peeptoad

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:38 am

Ugh, I remember Freedom's Daughter since I had just put her in my virtual stable after her Schuylerville win... that was a devastating and sudden death. Colitis X was the diagnosis, if memory serves.
Left Bank was fantastic... he's certainly one of my favorites trained by Pletcher. (@thinair the Jerkens horse that set the pace in that race was Saint Verre)
thinair

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:41 am

peeptoad wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:38 am
Ugh, I remember Freedom's Daughter since I had just put her in my virtual stable after her Schuylerville win... that was a devastating and sudden death. Colitis X was the diagnosis, if memory serves.
Left Bank was fantastic... he's certainly one of my favorites trained by Pletcher. (@thinair the Jerkens horse that set the pace in that race was Saint Verre)
Colitis X was what they said claimed all three, I believe.
Kennedy

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:47 am

I think I can get behind American Pharoah and Bafferts best with Arrogate and Point Given completing the trifecta of talent.

But when I think about races that I have loved and enjoyed over the years that contained Baffert runners I think that Silver Charm was in more of them than any of the others.
Curtis

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:47 am
I think I can get behind American Pharoah and Bafferts best with Arrogate and Point Given completing the trifecta of talent.

But when I think about races that I have loved and enjoyed over the years that contained Baffert runners I think that Silver Charm was in more of them than any of the others.
Silver Charm was quite a horse. Had he not been such a bleeder, he really could have been something. He’s easily my favorite of Baffert’s horses.
Mylute

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Not to hurt anyone's brain or hijack the thread but...

...who's the most talented of O'Brien's bunch?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 pm

I'd say Yeats is O'Brien's most talented, but I like the stayers. And I'd give American Pharaoh the nod for Baffert.
stark

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Speaking of Baffert's barn, tomorrow is 2/18, curious if he has any 3YO making their first start this week?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Dude4thewin

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Thing that gives AP the edge for me was his versatility. Didn’t matter the track, the track condition, or how many races in a short period of time. He always brought it.
bare it all

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:40 pm

AOB can’t be mentioned without Giants Causeway as one of his best. Honestly, I think he, like many others, are hampered by their best stock being retired to the shed before they can give their all. Yeats is a horse who proves out what AOB can do when allowed to properly compete through a career.

Baffert - Arrogate is probably the talented creature he’s ever had is his barn that was able to make the races. I was a huge Congaree fan and that horse doesn’t get enough mentions. Amazing animal.

Pletcher: I think Uncle Mo was the most talented horse he’s had in his barn, but English Channel is probably close.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:54 pm

O'Brien was allowed to keep Highland Reel in training through the end of his 5th year, and that horse ran...and won...all over the world. Huge fan.
Another high-class horse from that 2012 crop was Found. She won the BC Turf as a three-year-old and the Arc the next year.
Both horses are high on my 'most-talented' list for Aiden, and that has a lot to do with the pleasure of watching them race for than a year or two.
(Also love Yeats.) ;)