2019 Two-Year-Olds

Tessablue

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:47 pm

Tiz the Law and Maxfield both looked absolutely fantastic today!
vfan

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:48 pm

vfan wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:29 pm
vfan wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:50 am
Upcoming Races:

* 05 October (Saturday) - American Butterfly - G1 Claiborne Breeders' Futurity at Keeneland, 1-1/16th mile on dirt, breaking from gate 7, race 9 post time 5:39pm US Eastern time. His last start was a 4th place finish in the G1 Hopeful Stakes (Runhappy Hopeful) at Saratoga. This would be his 4th race, all on dirt so far. http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/KE ... html#RACE9

* 05 October (Saturday) - Skygaze - G3 Mazarine Stakes at Woodbine, 1-1/16th mile on allweather, breaking from gate 2, race 8, post time 4:59pm US Eastern time.
http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/WO ... html#RACE8
Skygaze honey, please learn to stay in your lane ... you run AROUND the arc of the circle, not IN an arc.

Skygaze wired the race, but bumped Take Charge Eh early on who checked, and then in the stretch run cut out and bumped Curlin's Voyage who also checked. The final order of finish was Skygaze still in first, a couple of lengths ahead of Curlin's Voyage, and then a few lengths back to Take Charge Eh looking almost like she and the rest of the field had been eased up. There were complaints about the bumps, and stewards moved Skygaze to back behind Take Charge Eh.

Actual order - Skygaze, Curlin's Voyage, Take Charge Eh. She would have been the 2nd GSW for American Pharoah.
Official order - Curlin's Voyage, Take Charge Eh, Skygaze

Thankfully there weren't any injuries.
Last edited by vfan on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcw

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Tiz the Law and Maxfield both looked absolutely fantastic today!
And better yet, neither are the typical, precocious 2yo that's bred to go one-turn. Both of these impressive winners should relish more distance based on their respective pedigrees and running style.
Slewfan2

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:08 pm

tcw wrote:
Maxfield very impressive in winning the Breeders Futurity by about 6 lengths. He's by Street Sense out of a Bernardini mare, so more distance should be no problem.
Bernardini is a turning out to be a fantastic broodmare sire..l
Horsebagger

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Slewfan2 wrote:
tcw wrote:
Maxfield very impressive in winning the Breeders Futurity by about 6 lengths. He's by Street Sense out of a Bernardini mare, so more distance should be no problem.
Yes he is. Didnt we have this discussion a couple years ago?
CorridorZ75

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Not surprising given the level of broodmares he had in his first books.
Slewfan2

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Slewfan2 wrote:
tcw wrote:
I’m not sure - a couple of years ago, I don’t know that he had enough runners to really make a judgment.

As to his book of mares, yes he was initially bred to top mares, but it’s not fair to chalk up all his success to them; you’d have to compare their production with other sires to do that - same as with every other broodmare sire. His own sire is a tremendous broodmare sire, as was his grandsire...from that respect, it’s also no surprise
Horsebagger

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Slewfan2 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:44 pm
Horsebagger wrote:
Slewfan2 wrote:

I’m not sure - a couple of years ago, I don’t know that he had enough runners to really make a judgment.
The discussion I recall having with someone here was more predictive in nature about how he WAS GOING TO BE a top broodmare sire, not noting success to that point. I thought it might have been you. Perhaps I am wrong.
luvsgeldings

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:34 pm

awww Tiz the Law is so handsome! love that big white blaze - he is a big, sturdy looking boy too - he won that race so easy today - blew the doors off that field - would be lovely to see Mr Tagg in the KY Derby again with this talented colt - certainly going to be rooting for them all the way!!
Curtis

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:39 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:34 pm
awww Tiz the Law is so handsome! love that big white blaze - he is a big, sturdy looking boy too - he won that race so easy today - blew the doors off that field - would be lovely to see Mr Tagg in the KY Derby again with this talented colt - certainly going to be rooting for them all the way!!
Do they still have that bus, I wonder?
Tessablue

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:50 pm

Power Move just looked excellent debuting for Shug at Belmont- beautifully leveled off in the final sixteenth. Second dam is Pleasant Home.
vfan

Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:21 pm

Power Move was amazing, yes. And what a lovely ride slipping through the holes in the field like that!
vfan wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:29 pm
vfan wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:27 pm
Oooooh this looks to be a cool race ... both Another Miracle and Four Wheel Drive are entered in the G3 Futurity Stakes at Belmont Park this Sunday Oct 6th. (edited to add: Race 7, post time 4:12pm; 6 furlongs on turf)

Both of these colts won BT stakes over 5.5 furlongs of turf in their last outings.

Four Wheel Drive set a track record when he debut'd in the Rosie's Stakes (Blacktype) last August 31st. Another Miracle 's coming into this race with more experience under his cinch - it's his fourth start - and two weeks' additional layoff.

The other opponents are nothing to sneeze at:
Embolden won the 5.5-furlongs-on-turf blacktype Jamestown Stakes at Colonial Downs Sep 7th.
Tomato Bill is coming off a 2nd place in the G3 Sanford Stakes; he survived an inquiry into bumping the 3rd place finisher.
Freewheeler was very green but won his debut by 5+ lengths.
and the surprise to me at least, given it's 10 or so days turnaround, was seeing Jack and Noah entered. This boy is the one that beat out Turned Aside in a MSW last 27 September. He showed a really nice closing kick after having been unhappy at being held back in 2nd/3rd until the stretch charge (kudos to his jock).
That was a fun one to watch (and no interference or injuries yay). They broke well, Four Wheel Drive took the lead, but Jack and Noah immediately charged forward and took over and kept advancing until by the quarter pole he was three lengths ahead of Four Wheel Drive , with Another Miracle in third. They kept that order, more or less, until the stretch when Four Wheel Drive came up to challenge for the lead and Jack and Noah tried but couldn't hold on to it. The latter then slipped back further as Freewheeler passed him in the last halfdozen strides to grab second. Jack and Noah still had enough left to make Embolden get the third via photo (a nose), however.
Another Miracle got in traffic trouble, pinched in the stretch between Freewheeler and Embolden, and slipped back rather than responding, finishing fifth.

Jack and Noah does NOT like not being in the lead. And not just in the lead, but running flat-out. Even with his jockey holding him back he did a 21.62 first quarter (on turf), and it wasn't until about the third furlong he started relaxing a bit so the half was "only" 44.33. Like his debut race a couple of weeks ago, he didn't like being held back and showed it. In that race his jock paced him behind the leader, then let him loose in the final furlong when he just blasted home past a fading Turned Aside. I'm guessing but I think this race it looks like the tactic was to let him rabbit, pouring his energy into building a big lead rather than fighting his rider, and maybe by the time they hit the final half furlong he'd be too far ahead for the closers to catch? He's got the will-to-win nailed, that's for sure, he just needs to learn to rate.

Four Wheel Drive is now American Pharoah's second Graded Stakes winner, and the first in North America. The first overall was Maven capturing the G3 Connolly’s Redmills Prix du Bois back in June. Both were Grade 3's on turf.

This was a win-and-you're-in for the BC Juvenile Turf Stakes.
Mylute

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Well, look at Liam's Map getting 2 G1 winners in his first crop.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
MTO

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Mylute wrote:
Very Impressive for Liam's Map!
KatieK101

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:26 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:50 pm
Power Move just looked excellent debuting for Shug at Belmont- beautifully leveled off in the final sixteenth. Second dam is Pleasant Home.
Lovely pedigree— her dam, Trophy Wife, is a half sister to Magical World who is, of course, the dam of Guarana and Magic Dance.
middleground

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:00 pm

MTO wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:54 pm
Mylute wrote:
Very Impressive for Liam's Map!
I've been hoping that he would be a success; I love his pedigree, with all its crosses of Genter-Tartan Farm superstars of yore.
stark

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:52 pm

From DRF.....

Honor A. P., a promising 2-year-old ridgling trained by John Shirreffs, performed to expectation with a win in a maiden special weight race at a mile in Sunday's third race.

Ridden confidently by Mike Smith, Honor A. P. ($3) led throughout and pulled clear from 6-1 Tizamagician to win by 5 1-2 lengths in 1:37.94.

The time was the fastest of the meeting in 12 races at the distance.

( HONOR CODE - HOLLYWOOD STORY, BY WILD RUSH $850,000)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Treve

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:42 pm

After finishing 7th in his debut, on turf, Prince of Pharoahs offered a convincing win his second time out, running a mile on dirt.
(American Pharoah x My Dixie Doodle by Dixie Union). He's a gorgeous almost black-looking dark brown colt.
The Linda Rice trainee is a homebred for his owners.
https://twitter.com/nytbreeders/status/ ... 9442751489

Also since she wasn't mentioned in this thread Sweet Melania became American Pharoah's third GSW and first G2 winner. She won the Jessamine S. which was a win and you're in for the BC Juvenile Fillies Turf.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Slewfan2

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:33 am

Honor A.P. looked amazing - he’s a gorgeous, hunk of a horse who won as he pleased. I love that he’s got speed, but obviously can come from behind as well...
CorridorZ75

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:47 am

stark wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:52 pm
From DRF.....

Honor A. P., a promising 2-year-old ridgling trained by John Shirreffs, performed to expectation with a win in a maiden special weight race at a mile in Sunday's third race.

Ridden confidently by Mike Smith, Honor A. P. ($3) led throughout and pulled clear from 6-1 Tizamagician to win by 5 1-2 lengths in 1:37.94.

The time was the fastest of the meeting in 12 races at the distance.

( HONOR CODE - HOLLYWOOD STORY, BY WILD RUSH $850,000)
Jesus, that track is slow. A question: is it really catering to speed? It seems every time I catch a dirt race from there this fall, a frontrunner or one very close to the pace is winning. it is almost as if no one can really mount any serious finishing speed over the track, even if the one in front is slowing down considerably.