Santa Anita 2019

stark

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:48 am

luvsgeldings wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:52 am
I feel like you too, Tessa - I think its very possible that he deserves it and is being made a scapegoat - Ed Allred of Los Al voiced the scapegoat part in his recent statement - saying he would welcome hollendorfer to stable his horses and to run at Los Al (unless the CHRB forbids him from doing so) - but he used that exact word in his statement, 'scapegoat'.
How could the CHRB say that granting sanctuary status is a bad thing in California?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:57 am

I wouldn't expect that Dorf will say anything of value on a morning radio interview....?

https://twitter.com/felixtaverna/status ... 0530819073
stark

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:06 am

And just as a side note....
Baffert has an appropriately named 2YO filly making her first start in the second race....
"We're Still Here" ;)
ElPrado2

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:27 pm

You wonder all you want to. I'll continue to think what I want to.
It looks like he won't be at the BC.
Mylute

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:58 pm

stark wrote:
Baffert has an appropriately named 2YO filly making her first start in the second race....
"We're Still Here" ;)
Wasn't there a trainer that had 7 horses die in like 18 months with no real explanation at Santa Anita a while back? I forget the name.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
katmandu

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:07 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:10 am
makes me really worried abt Brill who i was expecting better things from...
Brill had the 5f bullet today on the Belmont training track. Catholic Boy on the main track.
greyhorse

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Mylute wrote:
stark wrote:
"We're Still Here" ;)
Wasn't there a trainer that had 7 horses die in like 18 months with no real explanation at Santa Anita a while back? I forget the name.
Baffert?
Tessablue

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Mylute wrote:
stark wrote:
"We're Still Here" ;)
Um excuse me they did find an explanation and it was "we don't have an explanation but everything's probably fine maybe."
sweettalk

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:13 pm

katmandu wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:07 pm
sweettalk wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:10 am
makes me really worried abt Brill who i was expecting better things from...
Brill had the 5f bullet today on the Belmont training track. Catholic Boy on the main track.
hopefully she's in a better setting, then, and just needs easier company. thx for the info =)
TouchOfGrey

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:51 pm

NY Times | Joe Drape: Why So Many Horses Have Died at Santa Anita

Racetracks in the United States have a particular problem with horses dying. Nearly 10 horses a week on average died at American racetracks in 2018, according to the Jockey Club’s Equine Injury Database. That figure is anywhere from two and a half to five times greater than the fatality rate in Europe and Asia, where rules against performance-enhancing drugs are enforced more stringently. Even so, what transpired at Santa Anita, where a horse was put down more than once a week, on average, stands out.
stark

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:19 pm

Not too sure about the article's title, but interesting reading nonetheless from Joe.
And it goes without saying the following comment section was as entertaining as ever.
thanks for sharing.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:32 pm

I don't have time to read the whole article, but does he ever point out that almost ALL racing in Europe and Asia is done on grass? Which is safer for horses? :roll:
Comparing the injury records of American vs. international racing is sort of apples to oranges. :?
lurkey mclurker

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:05 pm

FWIW my trainer at the barn where I ride, who has a highly reputable source, said that a researcher was allowed to look at three of the horses/necropsies and all three were found to have the c6/c7 vertebral malformation. Between that and the bisphosphonates, it's a little scary to think of how widespread structural fragility might have become in the breed... :?
Catalina

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
FWIW my trainer at the barn where I ride, who has a highly reputable source, said that a researcher was allowed to look at three of the horses/necropsies and all three were found to have the c6/c7 vertebral malformation. Between that and the bisphosphonates, it's a little scary to think of how widespread structural fragility might have become in the breed... :?
But, if you look at the internet, this isn't a new finding. There's mention of that several times, going back a few years. Apparently it also ties in with wobbler syndrome.
Somnambulist

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:21 pm

This forum in it's day probably could have saved racing. A lot of us probably would have contributed for free.
Northport

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:40 am

stark wrote:
"We're Still Here" ;)
Maybe the owner is just a fan of the TV show "The Leftovers"... that is one of the famous lines from it, and tbh it is the greatest TV show of all time
weeeeeeeee
lurkey mclurker

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:52 pm

Catalina wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 pm
lurkey mclurker wrote:
But, if you look at the internet, this isn't a new finding. There's mention of that several times, going back a few years. Apparently it also ties in with wobbler syndrome.
I know it's been around, they basically traced it back to the late 1890s onward (Cyllene --> Phalaris --> Polynesian etc) but that's the point - if it's become pervasive, you have to wonder if anything can be done about it besides really stringent screening - but then what do you do with those horses? Take your chances? And what's being done with the top stallions who might have c6/7 related wobbler's, besides managing symptoms/surgeries, trying to keep them breeding? And keeping it in the gene pool...

The bisphosphates tho, that can stop. And both of them together just seems like a recipe that invites disaster on a potentially mismanaged track... :? I dunno, it's a mess.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:47 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:32 pm
I don't have time to read the whole article, but does he ever point out that almost ALL racing in Europe and Asia is done on grass? Which is safer for horses? :roll:
Comparing the injury records of American vs. international racing is sort of apples to oranges. :?
Also, I don't think Europe -- at least not its major racing countries -- has any dirt tracks, per se. They all race on some brand of synthetic compound. How do synthetic and natural non-turf surfaces compare in terms of breakdowns/deaths?

One more thing, not sure about all Asian countries, but I've run across Japanese and Filipino dirt racing on YouTube. I believe the Japanese dirt tracks are part of a minor-league circuit there. Morocco also streams and looks to have nothing but dirt.

Another dirt stronghold is South America. I don't think synthetics are in use at any of that continent's tracks, and their dirt horses generally get quite a few more starts per year than ours. How's the South American breakdown/death rate/
stark

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:42 pm

The 1-2 finishers in the $100k Bertrando Stakes at Los Alamitos - the mare Queen Bee to You and Tule Fog - were denied entries at Santa Anita by their 5-man evaluation committee.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:03 pm

I looked to see if this was posted already, and didn't see anything, so apologies if I missed it.

https://thehorse.com/175555/
In June 2019 the Colorado State University (CSU) Translational Medicine Institute posted a video featuring a discussion between Larry Bramlage, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACVS, an equine orthopedic surgeon and shareholder at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky, and C. Wayne McIlwraith, BVSc, PhD, DSc, FRCVS, Dipl. ACVS, an equine orthopedic surgeon and a University Distinguished Professor and Barbara Cox Anthony University Chair in Orthopaedics at CSU—on its YouTube channel. The two talked about the Santa Anita catastrophic injuries and other industry controversies such as race-day medications and uniform drug rules.
The video is linked in the article, which I thought was very comprehensive. The part that I thought was potentially the most beneficial, and not terribly complicated to implement:
For those horses on the vet’s list, Bramlage recommended a protocol to help protect them.

“The Equine Injury Database shows that a horse that goes on the vet’s list … three times, they’re almost certainly going to have a fatal injury,” he said. “That is because they’re not being diagnosed.

“A lot of those horses get time (to rest), they get palliative medication, they might get physical therapy, they get sound, they have to work then before they race, but when they go back into high-speed activity they get lame again,” he continued. “That gets them on the list the second time and they still may not get a veterinary examination.

“I think if we could make one change, we should require a horse that goes on the vet’s list to have a veterinary examination or they’re out for 90 days, because we can’t tolerate this increased risk that we’re not eliminating where we could.”
link to vid on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRqL-DjjTng