Santa Anita 2019

Raven

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:15 pm

HA,HA
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
Flanders

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:21 pm

I was in a hurry to write earlier, those statistics were from one PETA shelter in Virginia. The state requires information from shelters to be published, how many animals are brought in, how many are rehomed, moved to another facility or euthanized. And honestly the percentages are skewed because the first 8 years, after they were forced to release information, it looks like they actually tried to find some animals homes.
However starting in 2006, they took in 29478 animals, 3103 were transferred elsewhere. Of the remaining 26375 animals, 25542 were euthanized, 412 were adopted. Thats a 96.8% euthansia rate over the past 13 years. I would imagine they have similar practices at all their shelters and this isn't an isolated shelter doing as they want.
Tessablue

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:33 pm

PETA terrorized the family of a scientist I know. He works on nonterminal perfectly humane experiments, and they called to threaten his family every single night until they got bored and found someone else to terrorize. The organization is comprised of admited extremists, and you simply cannot bargain with extremists. I am deeply disturbed by the fact that these racing entities do not seem to be aware just how dangerous they are.

Many of their members are just ignorant people who want to feel associated with a group that does "good," but the organization itself is horrific. Dead animals, doctored videos, firebombed homes (as they are the public face of the ALF, which is in fact classified as a terrorist group). All of this information is easy to find. They kill and harm animals, and by association they poison the well of groups that actually want to do good.

They truly do more harm than good, to both humans and animals, and they don't deserve any legitimization or media attention because that is the entire purpose of their organization.
Mylute

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Here's a longform piece where a journalist from Huffington Post went "undercover" (some of what is shown in this article was from beforehand though) to several PETA-run animal shelters and discovered all of the animals living in squalor, many were sick and injured, and they had stored euthanized/the dead in freezers and/or through them out like garbage. When people donate to this group, they expect their money to go to the animals and the upkeep of the facility; the money goes to the incineration of corpses that once were healthy cats and dogs.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/peta-kil ... _b_2979220 (NSFW)

The author for this runs his own website where he hosts several more exposes of what I consider to be the "Scientology of animals".

Also, they stole a little girl's puppy off of the family's porch and immediately euthanized it. The family had a security camera and caught them luring the dog, who was minding his own on the porch, with a treat. They literally have "death vans" where they have euthanasia kits.

https://www.nathanwinograd.com/peta-dev ... countable/
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ng-it-down

Not to mention a large portion of its advertising is misogynistic and borderline promotes beastiality.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Mylute

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:42 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:33 pm
PETA terrorized the family of a scientist I know. He works on nonterminal perfectly humane experiments, and they called to threaten his family every single night until they got bored and found someone else to terrorize. The organization is comprised of admited extremists, and you simply cannot bargain with extremists. I am deeply disturbed by the fact that these racing entities do not seem to be aware just how dangerous they are.

Many of their members are just ignorant people who want to feel associated with a group that does "good," but the organization itself is horrific. Dead animals, doctored videos, firebombed homes (as they are the public face of the ALF, which is in fact classified as a terrorist group). All of this information is easy to find. They kill and harm animals, and by association they poison the well of groups that actually want to do good.

They truly do more harm than good, to both humans and animals, and they don't deserve any legitimization or media attention because that is the entire purpose of their organization.
> Doctored videos

You mean like the one they released Derby week 2014 of Asmussen's barn?
Tessablue

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Yes, and this entirely fake one that they recently tried to push: https://mashable.com/2017/06/06/peta-fa ... mGEpbyqiqC

There's also increasing evidence that they purposefully harm (https://www.dairycarrie.com/2014/08/12/ ... arm-video/ and https://freebeacon.com/issues/peta-used ... suit-says/) or horrifically kill (please note that although there are no pictures, this story is incredibly disturbing: https://wwd.com/business-news/business- ... 203073377/) animals for misleading shock videos.

They are so awful. I honestly don't understand why they still seem to have a free pass with most media entitites.
Mylute

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:14 pm

All of their anti-shearing sheep advertisements I've seen are photo-shopped images of bleeding, sliced up lambs being cradled by shirtless buff guys. Because yeah, we totally shear lambs and that's totally what it looks like.

Also their latest anti-milk stunt is posting a drawn picture of an old man breastfeeding a humanoid heifer to twitter (again, beastiality and incredibly disturbing in general). I'd link but I like y'all too much so I'll leave it up to you to Google it.
Curtis

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Raven wrote:
HA,HA
I was only kidding to a point. There are certain people and organizations that I can explain or justify with the general knowledge that, their hearts are in the right place. I can’t do that with PETA. If you can, I have no trouble agreeing to disagree.
Mylute

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:57 pm

Curtis wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:44 pm
Raven wrote:
HA,HA
I was only kidding to a point. There are certain people and organizations that I can explain or justify with the general knowledge that, their hearts are in the right place. I can’t do that with PETA. If you can, I have no trouble agreeing to disagree.
I agree, but it's really hard to say "Well...their hearts are in the right place :3" when they are actively killing adoptable animals (some of which already had homes).

It's one thing to round up and euthanize feral strays that are beyond repair and only serve to spread disease, injure and kill, breed, and cause general destruction, and another thing to lure an obviously domesticated and well cared for chihuahua off of a porch and give him the needle.

I think at one time PETA had good intentions, when they began in the 80s. But it was all downhill from there and now they're all extremists who probably don't even know what they want half the time. It's also an outlet for slacktivist virtue signalers and people who want to be holier-than-thou.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:58 am

I remember PETA going door to door in my neighborhood in Seattle in I think the early 1980s. They caught my animal-loving attention and I gave them a small donation. I followed them closely and it wasn't long before I figured out their tactics were akin to terrorism, all about the cause with no concern for the damage they inflicted on humans, animals, or property.

PETA has had a seat at the table of horse racing reforms for a long time. Article today by Teresa Genaro:

PETA-STRONACH ALLIANCE SPURS QUESTIONS, CONCERN

The relationship between PETA and The Stronach Group has been building for five years, since PETA released an edited, undercover video that claimed to expose a multitude of abuses within trainer Steve Asmussen’s barn.

“After we released that investigation,” said Kathy Guillermo, PETA’s senior vice president, “we asked to meet the owners of the more prominent racetracks, and The Stronach Group is the one that said ‘yes.’ They were open to it right from the beginning.”

Among the first joint initiatives was establishing a way for bettors to donate to the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance through specially-programmed wagering machines at Stronach tracks, an idea proposed by PETA.

“PETA did not seek compensation, monetary or otherwise, for the concept,” said the TAA’s Stacie Clark Rogers in a 2017 article in Blood-Horse. “Their only request was that 100% of the money donated through these terminals would support Thoroughbred aftercare. We would like to thank AmTote, the Stronach Group, and PETA for their joint leadership in horse care. The TAA is thrilled with the potential of this technology to help Thoroughbreds beyond their racing careers.”

Since then, the New York Racing Association has also provided machines at its tracks to enable such donations.

According to Guillermo, PETA turned its attention to horse racing following “whistleblower” phone calls the organization had received from people concerned about the way horses were being treated.

“There are a lot of rumors flying around the racing industry, and every now and then one is true and really troubling,” she said. “When I’ve gone to The Stronach Group with that information, they’ve always checked it out, and we’ve dealt with some issues that have turned out to be accurate.”

Guillermo’s primary contact at TSG is Mike Rogers, president of the racing division, who referred questions to chief operating officer Tim Ritvo. He confirmed Guillermo’s assertions.

“Mike’s a forward thinker,” said Ritvo. “He watches the culture change. As Kathy said yesterday, people within the industry made PETA aware of what happened in our game.”

Ritvo was referring to Guillermo’s comments at the March 28 meeting of the California Horse Racing Board. ...
More: https://www.theracingbiz.com/2019/04/09 ... s-concern/

It started even before that in Kentucky. Take a look at the KHRC RACE DAY MEDICATION COMMITTEE report dated NOVEMBER 14, 2011. Skip to Page 210 for her testimony. She said getting calls from people within the industry started after the breakdown of Eight Belles..."We can't do it within the industry. We need you to help. That's why I am here today."
More: http://khrc.ky.gov/Documents/RaceDayMed ... script.pdf
TouchOfGrey

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Sparrow Castle

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Excellent article:

Bone Injury: The Science of Rest and Repair
The recent traumas at Santa Anita have energized all kinds of different welfare agendas, so that as much attention is perhaps now being paid to the whip or medication as to the racing surface. But one question has received surprisingly little air time, given how integral it is to the whole horrible business, and that is whether horsemen could improve their practical understanding of the mechanics of catastrophic limb injuries, and improve routine practices accordingly?

To be fair, it did not take long to put bisphosphonates in the dock, with regard to their misuse in sales preparation to cloak issues in the bone development of weanlings or yearlings. But how about the stresses placed on bone in more mature horses, once in training?

For a premier authority in this field, TDN turned to Professor Chris Whitton, Head of the Equine Centre and Professor of Equine Medicine and Surgery at the University of Melbourne. His insights are such that it would be remiss for anyone working with Thoroughbreds in training, or employing others to do so, not to measure the demands being made of their horses against the science he renders highly accessible to the layman.

Because as Whitton said himself: “The cluster of breakdown injuries at Santa Anita is a tragic reminder of the potential dangers of racing, but these events should not be considered accidental or acceptable.”

With the caveat that more work is required to pinpoint what trainers can do to reduce breakdowns, he assures stakeholders that recent research has progressed the understanding of when, how and what kind of injuries occur. And the critical starting point is that most bone and joint injuries in racehorses are the result of fatigue damage.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/bo ... nd-repair/
Sparrow Castle

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 pm

Quinnipiac University Poll: More Than Half Of California Voters Want Independent Review Of Santa Anita Deaths
More than half of California voters want the state's governor to create an independent review panel to study the highly-publicized equine fatalities at Santa Anita Park. A poll from Quinnipiac University's Polling Institute released Thursday and examined a number of political topics on voters' minds, including the death penalty and sanctuary cities. Fifty-five percent of those polled said Gov. Gavin Newsom should appoint a panel to study the deaths; 35 percent did not support the idea.

Poll results show just 19 percent of voters had a “favorable opinion” of horse racing, while 20 percent had an unfavorable opinion of the sport. Fifty-nine percent had no opinion.

Though Connecticut's Quinnipiac University is a small private school, its polling center is frequently used as a legitimate barometer on public opinion by a number of national media outlets and is one of the larger academic polling centers with a workforce of 300.

Read more at Quinnipiac University
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... ta-deaths/
stark

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 pm

Poll results show just 19 percent of voters had a “favorable opinion” of horse racing, while 20 percent had an unfavorable opinion of the sport. Fifty-nine percent had no opinion.
Pretty sure that poll could have been conducted in 2015 and 2007 and 1999 and 1988 with pretty much identical results.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:09 pm

April 17, 2019, Medication, Safety and Welfare Committee Meeting Package:
http://www.chrb.ca.gov/Board/committee_ ... 19MSWC.pdf

CHRB regular meeting is scheduled for April 18 at 9:30 a.m. and as usual will be audio-cast live at https://www.selectstreaming.com/live/chrb/audio.php.

The public is encouraged to attend both meetings.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:13 pm

California Legislators To Conduct Oversight Hearing On Horse Racing Safety
In an effort to protect horses and jockeys amid the recent spate of racing horse deaths at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif., state Sen. Bill Dodd (D-Napa) and Assemblymember Adam Gray (D-Merced) on Thursday announced plans for a thorough, joint oversight hearing on horse racing safety. The duo also announced the introduction of new legislation to authorize the California Horse Racing Board to promptly suspend racing if dangerous conditions exist.

The joint oversight hearing is expected to take place next month and will include testimony from expert witnesses highlighting the steps the industry and regulators have already taken to improve safety as well as exploring areas where more needs to be done. Dodd and Gray met with Chuck Winner, chairman of the California Horse Racing Board, several weeks ago to discuss steps the state could take to improve safety, including empowering the board to take emergency action.

“This common sense bill is one part of the solution, and Chairman Gray and I will be convening a hearing to determine whether there are additional steps the industry or the state should take to enhance safety,” said Sen. Dodd. “It's clear that state regulators need the power to act swiftly and decisively when exigent safety concerns arise.”

“Both Sen. Dodd and I believe that California's horse racing industry must be willing to accept and adopt forward thinking solutions to address long-standing issues and debates,” said Assemblymember Gray. “This hearing will give the committees an opportunity to conduct a thorough review of the industry's safety track record, and highlight new and potentially necessary reforms to improve safe racing conditions.”
More: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... ng-safety/
stark

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:51 am

From LA Times John Cherwa, updates from Friday racing.....

At the end of the second race, Night at the Opera fell near the finish line. The green screens came out to hide what was happening from the public and you couldn’t help but think it was fatality No. 24 since Dec. 26. But, as he was being attended to, he just popped right back up and walked onto the van as if it was his own personal Uber. He got a good round of applause. The vets made a diagnosis that he fell because of exhaustion and he was taken straight to the barn rather than the medical facility.

And then, after the seventh race, Wandering Patrol also got a ride back to the barn after finishing third in the seventh race. Jockey Mario Gutierrez stood straight up and looked as if he was having trouble pulling the horse up. There was nothing obvious that looked as if a van was necessary, other than the track is being extremely cautious. The horse was taken back to the barn, so all indications are it was precautionary
Sparrow Castle

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Letters to the Editor: Barry Irwin

The vast majority of folks in the industry are hunkered down in their own separate bunkers and do not want to have to think about the integrity of the race. They just want to keep on keeping on, because the game has been so good to them.

While these neo-Romans are content to listen to the lilting music from Nero’s strings, the world all around them is crumbling.

This week, the Association of Racing Commissioners International announced sweeping proposed changes in the severity of penalties and fines they suggest imposing on parties found guilty of cheating. They put together a blue-ribbon panel of well-intentioned industry experts to come up with the framework.

My response to yet another committee, board or group coming up with something that has teeth in it is as follows: wake me when it’s over please.

My problem is that no matter how many rules, substandard tests and other measures are introduced, one thing in the struggle to rid the game of cheats remains constant: no jurisdiction in all of North American racing has yet shown the will necessary to move the ball an inch.

Is the mood right for trainers, veterinarians and owners to realize that it is time not only to close the medicine cabinet, but to address the elephant in the room?

People: the biggest names in the game are trashing our sport by the illegal use of PEDs and they are flaunting it right in our faces. They are rubbing our clean-scrubbed faces right in the muck pit.

Are we going to stand up and do something about it? Or are we going to continue to ignore it or simply complain about it to our wives?

Let’s reach out to our leaders of the alphabet organizations and tell them to start representing us as responsible participants in the industry and get real.

C’mon ladies and gentlemen. Let’s have an industry we can be proud of. Isn’t that what it’s really all about?
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/le ... y-irwin-4/
Curtis

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:55 pm
Letters to the Editor: Barry Irwin

The vast majority of folks in the industry are hunkered down in their own separate bunkers and do not want to have to think about the integrity of the race. They just want to keep on keeping on, because the game has been so good to them.

While these neo-Romans are content to listen to the lilting music from Nero’s strings, the world all around them is crumbling.

This week, the Association of Racing Commissioners International announced sweeping proposed changes in the severity of penalties and fines they suggest imposing on parties found guilty of cheating. They put together a blue-ribbon panel of well-intentioned industry experts to come up with the framework.

My response to yet another committee, board or group coming up with something that has teeth in it is as follows: wake me when it’s over please.

My problem is that no matter how many rules, substandard tests and other measures are introduced, one thing in the struggle to rid the game of cheats remains constant: no jurisdiction in all of North American racing has yet shown the will necessary to move the ball an inch.

Is the mood right for trainers, veterinarians and owners to realize that it is time not only to close the medicine cabinet, but to address the elephant in the room?

People: the biggest names in the game are trashing our sport by the illegal use of PEDs and they are flaunting it right in our faces. They are rubbing our clean-scrubbed faces right in the muck pit.

Are we going to stand up and do something about it? Or are we going to continue to ignore it or simply complain about it to our wives?

Let’s reach out to our leaders of the alphabet organizations and tell them to start representing us as responsible participants in the industry and get real.

C’mon ladies and gentlemen. Let’s have an industry we can be proud of. Isn’t that what it’s really all about?
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/le ... y-irwin-4/
I dunno Barry. You currently have a horse with someone I wouldn’t have train one of my goats.
stark

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:34 pm

A few years back there was a pretty good trivia question making the rounds......

Why did Barry I leave Southern California for Kentucky?

Answer:. He ran out of friends!