Moment of the Year - voting now open

Blue Jeans

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:26 pm

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... g-now-open

To vote for the 15th annual "NTRA Moment of the Year," click here.

According to an NTRA release, the eligible moments were selected to "illustrate a wide range of human emotions and achievements as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism."

Listed chronologically, the 12 events that fans can choose from are:

—Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens riding his first winner in North America since 2005 aboard Branding in the first race at Santa Anita Park. (Occurred Jan. 12)

—Spicer Cub bolts around the parked starting gate along the outside rail and still nearly wins at Pimlico Race Course, losing by a nose. (April 13)

—Orb wins the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. ) for Hall of Fame trainer Shug McGaughey and owners Stuart Janney III and Dinny Phipps. (May 4)

—Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), giving Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas his sixth win in the Triple Crown's middle jewel and 50-year-old Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens his third. (May 18)

—Paynter , after battling back from life-threatening illness the year before, returns to the races to win an allowance at Betfair Hollywood Park. (June 14)

—Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze becomes the first North American rider to reach the 12,000-win milestone aboard Handful of Pearls at the Alameda County Fair at Pleasanton. (July 7)

—Ken and Sarah Ramsey win three major grade I turf stakes—the Secretariat (with Admiral Kitten), Sword Dancer (Big Blue Kitten) and Arlington Million (Real Solution)—at two different tracks in less than two hours. (Aug. 17)

—Will Take Charge barely gets up to beat front-running Moreno by a nose in the $1 million Travers Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course. (Aug. 24)

—Retired jockey Ramon Dominguez is presented with the Mike Venezia Award, as well as the 2012 Eclipse Award trophy for outstanding jockey he was unable to accept last January, during a ceremony in the Saratoga winner's circle. (Aug. 25)

—Five-year-old mare Mizdirection beats males in the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint (gr. IT) for the second straight year in her final career start. (Nov. 2)

—Wise Dan wins the 2013 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) for the second straight year, capping a season that will likely be recognized with a repeat Eclipse Award for Horse of the Year. (Nov. 2)

—Mucho Macho Man wins the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) by a nose for jockey Gary Stevens, trainer Kathy Ritvo, and owners Reeves Thoroughbred Racing. (Nov. 2)
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
Sound of Freedom

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:50 pm

No brainier. BC Classic wins but Ramon Dominguez would get my #2.
gravano

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:54 pm

First female trainer to win the BC Classic is pretty big, but they don't really explain it that way.
Shug winning the Derby was big too.
Sound of Freedom

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:05 pm

gravano wrote:First female trainer to win the BC Classic is pretty big, but they don't really explain it that way.
Shug winning the Derby was big too.
Exciting race. Historic race. And he is returning. Trifecta.
Kay16

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:42 pm

I would say the BC Classic, the stretch run alone between WTC and MMM was moment of the year if you ask me. But add on the combo of Stevens winning after being in retirement for so long, and Ritvo being the first female trainer to win it. Too many reasons not to vote for it.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:49 pm

All the race highlights, like Gary's Preakness, MMM's Classic, 'Dan's double Mile and Mizdirection's 2nd Turf Sprint, are great moments, but...I bet Spicer Cub's wild trip has gotten more views on the 'net than all those races put together. :lol:
Blue Jeans

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Oxbow won my heart early in the year, and he had more heart than any of the 3 year-olds. I voted for "my" feelings, so Oxbow got my vote; he reminds me so much of Jackson Bend. JB is still running .... for Oxbow! :D

D. Wayne Lukas and Gary Stevens ... thumbs up for those fellas!
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
arkle

Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:00 am

BC Classic hands down most exciting moment of the year

Ingredients
1 part --- Solid older horse, with Grandpa Stevens on board, trained by a woman who had heart surgery;
1 part --- Gutsy 3yo, who is rounding into form and trained by the old wizard who is having a Indian summer in his career;
1 part --- Classy Euro invader, with a 6ft jockey on his back who can barely make the weight;

Mix ingredients and watch as a head separates the three of them on the line..... damn, but that was a race for the ages.
Blue Jeans

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:43 am

MMM's BCC got my vote for the B-H 'Best race of the Year'. Gotta spread the votes around! Oxbow deserves this one. JMHO. :)

ETA:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ce-of-2013

>The editorial staff has narrowed the list to 20. We’ll feature the top five selected by our readers in our special Year in Review combined issue and compare them with the top five selected by the editorial staff. So now, it is up to you to vote.<

dustino140

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 pm

I actually think it was the Preakness.
Somnambulist

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 pm

dustino140 wrote:I actually think it was the Preakness.
OMG. I agree. But I never thought you would.

You know I love chaos.
gravano

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:33 pm

The Preakness was my least favorite of the Triple Crown races.
You never want to see a jock walk the dog in a TC race, but Lukas was smart in getting Titletown 5 to run interference on Orb.
Ballerina

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Why would I vote for any "moment" other than that of Wise Dan?!~ ;)
Matt Converse

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:41 pm

My favorite by far was the Derby again this year but putting bias aside I don't see how the BC Classic doesn't win.
hadrianmarcus

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:54 pm

gravano wrote:You never want to see a jock walk the dog in a TC race, but Lukas was smart in getting Titletown 5 to run interference on Orb.
Just wondering who interfered with Orb in the Belmont, Travers, and Jockey Club Gold Cup?
Somnambulist

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:55 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote:
gravano wrote:You never want to see a jock walk the dog in a TC race, but Lukas was smart in getting Titletown 5 to run interference on Orb.
Just wondering who interfered with Orb in the Belmont, Travers, and Jockey Club Gold Cup?
Superiority.
Matt Converse

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Sounds like a great name for a horse. A son of Super Saver?
gravano

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:25 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote:
I don't think anyone did. Not even sure if anyone needed to interfere with him in the Preakness, but that's what Titletown's job was. Orb was considered a big threat to win the Preakness. I think Titletown broke his maiden in a 7 furlong race before the Preakness and hasn't won anything since. Maybe they thought he could win a triple crown race right? Anyway watch the race, watch how he's positioned and how his jock moves on him.
Somnambulist

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:09 am

gravano wrote:Orb was considered a big threat to win the Preakness.
I was so excited for that race I couldn't sleep, and went out and consoled myself with too many LI Iced Tea's afterwords. I think that was just more for us wishful thinkers than anything else. It was the first Derby in awhile most people could really get behind the winner.

Hindsight is always 20-20, to steal a Megadeth line, but I'd venture (with no way of really being sure) that Derby pace and the off track seemingly had a lot more to do with it than we thought.
gravano

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:30 am

Somnambulist wrote:
gravano wrote:Orb was considered a big threat to win the Preakness.
I was so excited for that race I couldn't sleep, and went out and consoled myself with too many LI Iced Tea's afterwords. I think that was just more for us wishful thinkers than anything else. It was the first Derby in awhile most people could really get behind the winner.

Hindsight is always 20-20, to steal a Megadeth line, but I'd venture (with no way of really being sure) that Derby pace and the off track seemingly had a lot more to do with it than we thought.
Yeah, it seems that way. Honestly I was never a huge Orb fan, but I was glad to see Shug win, and I like Rosario. But I think Dreaming of Julia ran nearly 2 seconds faster than Orb at Gulfstream. Of course things haven't worked out for her all that well yet.