East & West Coast Heat (Flyover states too)

stark

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:02 pm

On Sunday morning, Parx Racing canceled its Monday card because of anticipated high temperatures and humidity as the current East Coast heat wave drags on.

Temperatures in Bensalem, Pa., are forecast to reach 100 degrees Monday, with humidity making it feel more like 108, according to AccuWeather. An excessive-heat warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for Bensalem through 8 p.m. Monday.

Parx had a 10-race card scheduled but instead will take the day off and resume racing on Tuesday. That card is topped by the Grade 3, $200,000 Dr. Penny Memorial, a 1 1/16-mile turf race for fillies and mares that will match Hawksmoor and 10-length Gallorette winner Ultra Brat.
Last edited by stark on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:04 pm

Belmont cancelled today and Delaware will join Parx for Monday's cancellations.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... on-monday/
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... sive-heat/

It must be just miserable on the East Coast now. It can get hot here in SoCal but, since I grew up back East, I know that its hot weather comes with high humidity and swarms of mosquitoes. And no cooling relief at night. :(
stark

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:02 pm

Some are wondering how to handicap for heat...

Laurel Park

Race 3
1st: 8 Aunt Mitzi $176.00 $59.80 $25.80
2nd: 10 Full Faith $12.40 $9.20
3rd: 9 Running Tide $4.00

Race 5
1st: 8 Nancy R $50.60 $18.40 $11.00
2nd: 12 Daniella $4.80 $3.60
3rd: 5 Scip It All $31.20
WarBiscuit

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:48 pm

To quote Mark Twain, it's "hot enough to melt brass doorknobs" here in beautiful Michigan at the moment. I'd expect to see mid-western tracks taking a day or two off
this week as it's expected to remain rather sultry.

Interesting tid-bit that was posted on the CTA facebook page about horses and heat -

http://www.uspolo.org/news-social/news/ ... for-horses

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
stark

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Jose Ortiz
‏@jose93_ortiz
Wait til the last minute to cancel . Horses in the paddock and others had been treated with lasix #ridiculous

GrahamMotion
‏@GrahamMotion
Apparently easier to predict extreme hot weather @DelParkRacing than in NY.

Tom Morley
‏@morley_racing
Wow! So we treated the entire card and let the first runners get saddled and the second race go to the holding barn before someone decided it was hot today!!! Amazing, the ineptitude and lack of respect for horses and humans alike is staggering

Tom Morley
‏@morley_racing
Cost: Owner came racing, bought family: 125$ in Programs and drinks.
I have to pay groom and hotwalker 1.5x overtime for the 3 hours to get horse ready and then unready. Most importantly our horses were treated and racked up, they thought they are racing. could have been avoided

Andy Serling
‏@andyserling
We just cancelled Sunday's card at #Belmont. My sincere apologies to any all that were inconvenienced by this.
Treve

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:11 pm

While Belmont dropped the ball by waiting at the last minute to notify I gotta wonder why trainers/vets/owners weren't proactive about it either... they could've scratched for example, seems would be a threat to their horses' well-being under these kinds of temperatures, never mind the danger of administrating Lasix under these conditions since it already has a tendency to dehydrate horses.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
honneerider

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Great point about the Lasix!
stark

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Treve wrote:While Belmont dropped the ball by waiting at the last minute to notify I gotta wonder why trainers/vets/owners weren't proactive about it either... they could've scratched for example, seems would be a threat to their horses' well-being under these kinds of temperatures, never mind the danger of administrating Lasix under these conditions since it already has a tendency to dehydrate horses.
Good point, I don't know the answer but I'll guess
that it has something to with $$$,
or perhaps as they say....doing whats in the best interest of the horse---increasing their bank account.
or maybe it's just about the bottom line and profits
or maybe the rent is due
or the ex-wife is after her half of the bank account
or there's really no point in gue$$ing
July hay 'n oats bills are due by the 10th
or maybe they were just hoping everybody else would scratch first, down to a field of 3. ;)
Catalina

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:42 pm

stark wrote:
Treve wrote:While Belmont dropped the ball by waiting at the last minute to notify I gotta wonder why trainers/vets/owners weren't proactive about it either... they could've scratched for example, seems would be a threat to their horses' well-being under these kinds of temperatures, never mind the danger of administrating Lasix under these conditions since it already has a tendency to dehydrate horses.
Good point, I don't know the answer but I'll guess
that it has something to with $$$,
or perhaps as they say....doing whats in the best interest of the horse---increasing their bank account.
or maybe it's just about the bottom line and profits
or maybe the rent is due
or the ex-wife is after her half of the bank account
or there's really no point in gue$$ing
July hay 'n oats bills are due by the 10th
or maybe they were just hoping everybody else would scratch first, down to a field of 3. ;)
Or, if they won this game of chicken, they might get a walkover.
Treve

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Absolutely but it is a bit hypocritical of them to complain of the cancellation "on behalf of the horses' well-being" if the $$$ is what they're concerned about ;) (since several tweets mention it being 'unfair to the horses' and the like)
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

stark

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:00 pm

In California, if a trainer called the stewards office and said I'm scratching out of the first race today, I think it'll be too hot for my horse to run........I think the steward might say get your ass in here and your horse too, you're running, that's not a valid excuse.

Trust but verify with Jerry Jamgotchian ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:01 pm

Temps in much of SoCal are going to be in the 100's by this Saturday. The guys covering the TB races at Los Al today were quite public in expressing what a good thing it was that the TBs weren't racing at Santa Anita this weekend.
If racing was scheduled for the Arcadia track, and everyone knew that it was it was going to be 105...or higher...I'm not sure an owner would get a lot of resistance from the stewards for scratching. :?
Treve

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:50 am

Pretty sure you'd get a recommendation from a vet as well, if you were worried about meeting resistance from the steward.
Besides you're comparing apples to oranges. West Coast heat isn't the same as East Coast heat, plus habitual seasonal heat is different from a heatwave. It's obviously exceptionally high enough that the whole card was cancelled ;) The official felt temperature where I am yesterday was 118F and if I recall correctly humidity was around 98% (I live in South East Canada so North of NY but we experience similarly hot, muggy, humid summers... my city is known to have one of the widest extreme temperature variations of any major city on Earth). My coach cancelled my riding lesson several day ahead of time knowing the warnings for the heat index was high and in our estimation becomes dangerous to both riders and horses.
Just two weeks ago I was riding an ex-polo tb who got so overheated (and it wasn't even near as hot) I had to finish my hour early and hose down every part of his body I could even though he had another hour to go.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

stark

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Los Alamitos

FRI
JUL 6
Sunny
104°70°

Mainly sunny. Near record high temperatures. High 104F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:52 am

It's possible that, in addition to the high temps, SoCal may also get some monsoon moisture coming up from the south. If that happens, we could see the sort of heat indexes that were dangerous back east. Then, I would not be surprised to see Los Al abandon its TB races on Friday. :(
Even if they don't, I think we're going to see scratches and horses being hosed right before and immediately after the races.
Diver52

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:14 am

I love living in SoCal --except from July to mid-September. Hope they keep the an eye on things at Los Alamitos.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
luvsgeldings

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:46 am

me too, Diver (and lately, the heat can continue thru November sometimes - I really hate that) - we live really close to Los Al - worried for the horses running here on Friday - and Saturday will probably still be pretty hot too - its a really good thing we are not running at Santa Anita - if its this hot around Los Al, its usually even hotter at Santa Anita.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:54 pm

TVG just announced that Ellis Park has cancelled racing today due to the heat.
stark

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:34 pm

BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Outside temp (from a thermometer in the shade) at my place was 90 at 9 AM. When I went outside around 9, I could FEEL the temperature rising. By a little after 10, it was 102. :(
I live west of LA, but I think the whole area is getting hit with freaky record heat. And the sudden rise doesn't exactly give you time to get used to 100+ temperatures. I wonder if racing is going to go ahead at Los Al.