Belmont Saturday Watchalong thread

katmandu

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:46 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:
katmandu wrote:Well lets hope Restoring Hope gets some love tonight, he was sent on a suicide mission and did an excellent job of blocking anyone from pressing Justify early on. Justify is an incredible horse, but I want to see him meet his Frosted and give him the opportunity to fully demonstrate his abilities. Seattle Slew is remembered just as much for his JCGC as he is for his Triple Crown sweep.
He already met his Frosted... His name was Good Magic in the Preakness. How soon people forget...
You have a good point, but the Preakness had complicating variables.
Squeaky

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Agree very impressive race for Gronkowski- he made up at least 15 lengths after walking out of the gate. Can only improve going forward, an exciting horse to watch. But I still feel if they went around again Jusry was not letting him by. Restoring Hope had Noble Indy locked in on the rail so could not challenge Justy for the lead. I assume that was the plan? Wonder what the Wests and Mike Repole thought of that?
sweettalk

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:48 pm

i regret coming back to this thread. did AP have this many poopoo'ers? I know how slew fans felt, now :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:51 pm

RE: Baffert's seven dead horses....IIRC, they happened during a period when some trainers were giving their horses that thyroid medication (thyroxine?)...and Baffert may have been one of those trainers. The drug first appeared to be benign, with some positive results as far as performance. But, then, the negative side effects began to show up. Heart problems, I think?
That's all just speculation. I also believe that, if Bob WAS giving thyroxine, if he had known it could end up being dangerous for his horses, he never would have done it. No, I don't think he's a saint, but deliberately poison any of his horses? No, IMHO.
Treve

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Who knows. It would've likely taken race-riding tactics to beat him, so maybe it's logical it took race-riding tactics to absolutely secure his win? ;) What happens if Noble Indy gets to him, or Bravazo presses him? They definitely pointed it out Restoring Hope's sacrifice on NBC in the post-race commentary.
But you know what? I don't really care, strategy is also part of the game. He won the freaking Triple Crown, you can asterisk it all you want but when a horse tries for the TC it's less about the horses they face and more the titanic challenge against the odds, against destiny. Unless all other horses lose their riders there is no ifs or buts about it.

I suspect Justify will get a looooooong layoff. Heck I wonder if he might not even skip the Travers and go elsewhere. Who knows! The future is bright and exciting.
Squeaky, it wasn't Noble Indy on the rail, it was Bravazo. Restoring Hope actually forced Noble Indy wide by floating out, before taking back in and giving Noble Indy either the choice to come up on the outside and run wide or take back at Bravazo's level just behind. He opted for the latter.

Gonna go party now!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
barbaro111

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:52 pm

sweettalk wrote:i regret coming back to this thread. did AP have this many poopoo'ers? I know how slew fans felt, now :lol:

there will always be the poopoo'ers--- it is best to just scroll on by those ----
Flanders

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Squeaky wrote:Agree very impressive race for Gronkowski- he made up at least 15 lengths after walking out of the gate. Can only improve going forward, an exciting horse to watch. But I still feel if they went around again Jusry was not letting him by. Restoring Hope had Noble Indy locked in on the rail so could not challenge Justy for the lead. I assume that was the plan? Wonder what the Wests and Mike Repole thought of that?
Noble Indy was never on the rail....
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:53 pm

On a happier note...how about ten-year-old Slim Shadey? That tough old gelding just won the 12th at Belmont, a 1 1/8-mile AOC on the turf with a nice field. :D
Flanders

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Restoring Hope has almost always been right off the leader in all his races. The only one he wasn't, his last race, was the worst race of his career.
barbaro111

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:56 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:On a happier note...how about ten-year-old Slim Shadey? That tough old gelding just won the 12th at Belmont, a 1 1/8-mile AOC on the turf with a nice field. :D
I watched that race- what a trooper- he is 10 years old!
Tessablue

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:58 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:RE: Baffert's seven dead horses....IIRC, they happened during a period when some trainers were giving their horses that thyroid medication (thyroxine?)...and Baffert may have been one of those trainers. The drug first appeared to be benign, with some positive results as far as performance. But, then, the negative side effects began to show up. Heart problems, I think?
That's all just speculation. I also believe that, if Bob WAS giving thyroxine, if he had known it could end up being dangerous for his horses, he never would have done it. No, I don't think he's a saint, but deliberately poison any of his horses? No, IMHO.
They had blood thinners in their system; he knew. It's possible for someone to be a great trainer and also a bad person. It shouldn't inform how people feel about his horses because they didn't choose him, but I thin it's fair to feel some frustration that someone with that sort of record consistently represents the sport on a national scale.

Also frustrating: not moving in a parking lot for 35 minutes because they closed the gate that helps everyone get out.
katmandu

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:01 pm

People questioned AP's loose on the lead Belmont/TC too but that was jockey generated. It's a fair question. That's not the same as pooh-poohing the horse (if that was aimed at me), he's amazing, and at the very least, historical. He actually physically reminds me of Secretariat where he thrives on hard work/racing and may need it just to keep his physical fitness.
stark

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:02 pm

Andy Serling
‏@andyserling

Justify did something remarkable in winning six races in 111 days, five of them going two turns. This is something you likely won't ever see again. We can discuss where he fits from an historical perspective at another time. For now it's just congratulation on an amazing feat.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Treve

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:03 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:RE: Baffert's seven dead horses....IIRC, they happened during a period when some trainers were giving their horses that thyroid medication (thyroxine?)...and Baffert may have been one of those trainers. The drug first appeared to be benign, with some positive results as far as performance. But, then, the negative side effects began to show up. Heart problems, I think?
I definitely don't think he intended for the horses to die. But there was a lot of very troubling factors. Two of the horses had raticide found in them, and not from a brand/type used anywhere at those tracks/barns and while it was a small quantity they presented symptoms of internal haemorrhaging. It's not like I think or can assert that he's evil or heartless or anything of the sort though. Heck I just checked and his heart attack in Dubai was in 2012 so right around that time I think/or after most of those horses dropped dead. Guilt? Karma? Wanting to see the good in people I choose to believe he learned a very hard lesson. But still. I also am uncomfortable about how much obvious conflicts of interests there were with the investigation with at least one if not several people on the CHRB having connections to Baffert... etc. It's worth re-reading if you have the time. Maybe save it for a rainy day and savour that TC high.

Anyway, here is some extensive reading about it
BH article
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... eath-spike
Paulick Article about the ruling
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray- ... rong-here/
The blog posts pt 1 and 2 have a LOT of exhaustive information although the blogger's position is clear so perhaps biased/take with a grain of salt.
https://tuesdayshorse.wordpress.com/201 ... ct-part-1/
https://tuesdayshorse.wordpress.com/201 ... ct-part-2/

In general if you google "Bob Baffert dead horses" you'll come up with a fair bit.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
stark

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Really?
Thats how a few of you decided to spend your afternoon after the Belmont.

Geesh!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
CoronadosQuest

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:05 pm

stark wrote:Really?

Geesh!
Right? It didnt rain out the Belmont, so they decided to rain on the parade after.
Tessablue

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Good stuff Treve. I read that blog a while ago and while the author makes some assumptions on other issues that I disagree with, as a biologist I feel pretty comfortable seconding her opinions on what happened there. It wasn't talked about as much as it could have been, but it was a dark chapter of the sport.

For those who were wondering, the silks in the infield were the ones he wore today.

Also, this is the Belmont thread, not the Justify thread, so chill.
Delamont

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:09 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:
stark wrote:Really?

Geesh!
Right? It didnt rain out the Belmont, so they decided to rain on the parade after.
Amen. Congratulations to Smith, Baf, Justify, and all the connections.
Somnambulist

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Some people here like horses more than they like having something to gamble on so I can understand why this might not taste great to some people, especially given the whole story went away overnight.

I am over the moon but not everyone is me. Pretty self centered to think everyone thinks the same.
Last edited by Somnambulist on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miss Woodford

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:21 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:On a happier note...how about ten-year-old Slim Shadey? That tough old gelding just won the 12th at Belmont, a 1 1/8-mile AOC on the turf with a nice field. :D
That's my boy!