Belmont Saturday Watchalong thread

sweettalk

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:15 pm

i'm more surprised people are bored that it was baffert or grumpy over the owners than i am that he won.

have fun pooping, i'm gonna go party!

paraphrasing a quote i saw earlier, if justify were to walk on water, people would say it was because he couldn't swim. detract all you want, i'm sorry you couldn't find enjoyment.
Last edited by sweettalk on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treve

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:16 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Now please give him a break!

Skip the Haskell and bring him in rested for the Travers
Not sure Baffert wants to go back there with a TC winner :lol: Will be interesting to see where he goes next!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Flanders

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:18 pm

I know a lot seem to not like Baffert but there is no arguing that he is one of the best trainers to have trained thoroughbreds.
BigDonOKC

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:19 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Woohoo! Yay Justify, and how about longshot Gronkowski getting up for 2nd?
If you learn nothing from this race remember the rule the horse who been off the longest, :geek: first and second in the Belmont
Big Ten

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Justify's Triple Crown meant alot to me because I never felt American Pharoah's TC wins in real time. Bob Baffert needs to take a photo with both horses. Unbelievable he now trained two TC winners in a span of three years.

I'm going to treat myself now to some delicious desserts. How sweet it is! I really needed a pick-me-upper and Justify did so. Guess what song I heard right after I left LosAl? Mariah Carey's "Hero". He did it, baby.

23+, 48+, 1:13+, 1:38..Once he got 1:38+, I knew it was over. I was already jumping 25 seconds before he even crossed the wire. I knew Vino was coming but then I saw the separation... I will love Justify forever. Unbelievable horse. #13 is also one of my lucky numbers, so Justify being #13 makes him more special to me.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Treve

sweettalk wrote:i'm more surprised people are bored that it was baffert or grumpy over the owners than i am that he won.

have fun pooping, i'm gonna go party!
In my book it's not so much a question of it being boring. But I recently reread all the articles, facts, etc. surrounding his 7 suddenly dead horses. It always leaves me conflicted about Baffert, it's always at the back of my mind, no matter how much I love some of his runners and it bothers me that it's never talked about even though it wasn't all that long ago.

But I second what Flanders said. He certainly is one of the best in the history of the game.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

lurkey mclurker

The awards presentation is all one big lovefest, basically. Classy that Baffert lauded his staff, too, especially Jimmy Barnes. <3
aethervox

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:21 pm

With all the facts and figures being thrown about, I'm surprised no one mentioned that Justify is only the 3rd Triple Crown winner that was not a home-bred.

The other 2 - Sir Barton (1919) and Seattle Slew (1977).

So both undefeated Triple Crown winners were purchased at auction. (Sir Barton was purchased privately).

aethervox
carole

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:22 pm

So the coat colour pattern continues to hold true, time for a grey Triple Crown winner now? :P
sweettalk

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:23 pm

well now he has 2 tc winners. so are they drugged all to hell, or is he just a good trainer who had a really ugly period?

are we still mad abt assumussen and scott, or are they getting a free pass? i guarantee you with enough digging you could find issues with everyone in the sport, and ruin the whole thing for yourself.
SSilence86

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Treve wrote:
SSilence86 wrote:Now please give him a break!

Skip the Haskell and bring him in rested for the Travers
Not sure Baffert wants to go back there with a TC winner :lol: Will be interesting to see where he goes next!
I don't think Pharoah would've lost the Travers if he hadn't run him in the Haskell.

112 days from his debut to undefeated TC winner.
He deserves a break. I would hope he'd choose the rest, and the Travers.
Treve

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:29 pm

SSilence86 wrote:
Treve wrote:
I don't think Pharoah would've lost the Travers if he hadn't run him in the Haskell.

112 days from his debut to undefeated TC winner.
He deserves a break. I would hope he'd choose the rest, and the Travers.
You're the first person who I've encountered who think the Haskell was Pharoah's problem. He was geared down at the top of the stretch and cruised home, the Haskell was basically an exhibition paid workout.
Baffert actually explained in an interview with Andy Serling recently what went wrong with the Travers (multiple things did). Off the top of my head:
- Baffert didn't want to go to the Travers, his heart wasn't in it
- Subsequently he didn't actually train for it or adequately prepare the horse for it
- The team lost their focus, especially the day before the race when 20 000 people came out to see him gallop + his exercise rider having the helmet cam... he let Pharoah get away from him (Pharoah was apparently quite keen and keyed up) and got caught up in the moment so he left it all on the track
He took 100% of the blame for it and said Pharoah could've won if he had actually properly prepared him for it. Part of what he said actually is that if he had been a bit more consistent and focused in his training schedule the horse would've been less fresh and less likely to run off during the gallop.
At no point did he mention the Haskell being a factor. There were 4 almost 5 weeks between the two races, and the nice long layoff he had before the Haskell after some down time.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Somnambulist

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:32 pm

What did I just see? Everything feels surreal.

I can't believe I have seen two winners of this thing.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
tachyon

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:33 pm

Justify's shadow roll is too cute!! :D :D :D
Ballerina

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:34 pm

tachyon wrote:Justify's shadow roll is too cute!! :D :D :D
EVERYTHING about Justify is too cute.
katmandu

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Well lets hope Restoring Hope gets some love tonight, he was sent on a suicide mission and did an excellent job of blocking anyone from pressing Justify early on. Justify is an incredible horse, but I want to see him meet his Frosted and give him the opportunity to fully demonstrate his abilities. Seattle Slew is remembered just as much for his JCGC as he is for his Triple Crown sweep.
Squeaky

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:39 pm

Yayyyy!!!! I knew he could do it!! So happy for Justy, Bob, Mike and all the connections. Maybe another golden age of racing?
CoronadosQuest

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:39 pm

katmandu wrote:Well lets hope Restoring Hope gets some love tonight, he was sent on a suicide mission and did an excellent job of blocking anyone from pressing Justify early on. Justify is an incredible horse, but I want to see him meet his Frosted and give him the opportunity to fully demonstrate his abilities. Seattle Slew is remembered just as much for his JCGC as he is for his Triple Crown sweep.
He already met his Frosted... His name was Good Magic in the Preakness. How soon people forget...
Tessablue

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:41 pm

I wonder how the Wests feel about the way Restoring Hope was ridden there.

A great achievement that he probably didn't need any help for. Also a great effort by Gronkowski, who got an excellent ride and looked spectacular beforehand. What an enigma of a horse.

Think I would be happier were it not for the fact that NYRA tried to kill me yet again. Why would you force 90,000 people to exit single file...
Squeaky

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Hope he gets a break at the WinStar Spa for some well earned R and R. I would love to see him in the Travers rather than the Haskell next. I was there for Pharoah’s loss and would love to see Justy win it. I believe Bob said he is pointing McKinzie for the Haskell? Not sure he will be ready in time though.