Belmont Mania

Somnambulist

Sun May 20, 2018 10:21 am

RIP everyone who works for NYRA. May God be with you over the next 3 weeks.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... s_2018_123

The real question is do I take off work the Friday before. :?:
BigDonOKC
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 am

Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 am

Somnambulist wrote:RIP everyone who works for NYRA. May God be with you over the next 3 weeks.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... s_2018_123

The real question is do I take off work the Friday before. :?:
I say yes-- I have taken off the Friday :lol: for lunch for all the TC races the past 20 years.
you should do the same.
barbaro111
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Sun May 20, 2018 10:51 am

It is so great when a triple crown is on the line: the entire country gets interested in horse racing for three weeks anyway.

it is even better when you have the affable successful trainer with Adonis -- The Belmont is going to be so exciting -be still my heart!
MySaladDays
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Sun May 20, 2018 1:12 pm

apparently they've capped attendance at 90K, which should help it be less than a circus
Somnambulist

Sun May 20, 2018 1:14 pm

MySaladDays wrote:apparently they've capped attendance at 90K, which should help it be less than a circus
It's been 90k since 2015 after the nightmare that 2014 was.
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Mon May 21, 2018 8:05 am

Som - so glad you got the tickets. Win or lose, rain or shine - it will be one of those experiences you'll recount for a lifetime.
Somnambulist

Mon May 21, 2018 9:34 am

bare it all wrote:Som - so glad you got the tickets. Win or lose, rain or shine - it will be one of those experiences you'll recount for a lifetime.
I have a formula of when you I am iffy about spending a lot of money on something I want, I just go ask people who will tell me yes. So thanks for the extra push. ;)
thinair
Posts: 1816
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Mon May 21, 2018 10:51 am

Somnambulist wrote:RIP everyone who works for NYRA. May God be with you over the next 3 weeks.

You should try 40 days of racing in 46 days in Saratoga:-)

Working in racing is a blessing.
Somnambulist

Mon May 21, 2018 10:59 am

thinair wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:RIP everyone who works for NYRA. May God be with you over the next 3 weeks.

You should try 40 days of racing in 46 days in Saratoga:-)

Working in racing is a blessing.
I work 6 days a week as it is.. no thank you! I know enough people who work in TV to know that is not for me. My sister went to school with several people who work at NYRA still I think. You all have my respect. It is a lot of work.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 am

It's not work if you love what you do for a living.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 21, 2018 4:54 pm

I see there are still tickets available.
Having never been to Belmont Park, what ticket package would you recommend with reserved seating?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
Tessablue
Posts: 4185
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Mon May 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Treve wrote:I see there are still tickets available.
Having never been to Belmont Park, what ticket package would you recommend with reserved seating?
Honestly the seating quality is basically the same across all prices, but avoid Section W if you want to actually see the track. Further back will protect you from bad weather. Closer to the finish line will make the seat to paddock run much shorter, it's a real hike if you're by the turn. But nearer the turn gets you closest to the secret women's bathroom which is basically essential on Belmont day.

What's available at the moment? I'm happy to answer any specific questions, this will be my 15th Belmont in a row and I think I've almost got it figured.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 21, 2018 5:24 pm

From just randomly picking out the Preferred Grandstand package I see there's clubhouse tickets available for level 2 and 3 in the price range I put... 2A 2B and 3A 3B and then there is grand stand seating available from the 16th pole to the 8th pole.

I'm guessing the clubhouse is easier to run to the Paddock from what you're saying then?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 pm

I think I may do the crazy person thing and buy a ticket. Missed my chance to go see Halsey in my city so...
Thank you both!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
Somnambulist

Mon May 21, 2018 6:02 pm

If you end up staying in the city the Pod chains are hostel like but amazing. Super clean and usually under $100 a night. I used to use them to stay overnight when I worked in the city.
User avatar
honneerider
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:22 pm
Contact:

Mon May 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
MySaladDays wrote:apparently they've capped attendance at 90K, which should help it be less than a circus
It's been 90k since 2015 after the nightmare that 2014 was.
I used to buy great tickets every year...NYRA sent out ticket requests to previous purchasers and I sent it back immediately for the best seats, plus preferred parking. After the debacle that that was 2014 and NYRA had us circling the track in traffic so that I missed a friend's horse winning a stakes race, and they gave away my $50. red parking to all the cops, I vowed never to return. AND Chrome lost
Somnambulist

Mon May 21, 2018 8:33 pm

honneerider wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
MySaladDays wrote:apparently they've capped attendance at 90K, which should help it be less than a circus
It's been 90k since 2015 after the nightmare that 2014 was.
I used to buy great tickets every year...NYRA sent out ticket requests to previous purchasers and I sent it back immediately for the best seats, plus preferred parking. After the debacle that that was 2014 and NYRA had us circling the track in traffic so that I missed a friend's horse winning a stakes race, and they gave away my $50. red parking to all the cops, I vowed never to return. AND Chrome lost
It was awful. I think I left Belmont around 10pm that day and the line of people waiting for the LIRR was never diminished.

I will say the traffic situation has improved leaps and bounds. I left late in 2015 as well but it was fine. The past two years we left within 30 minutes of the last race being over and on the Southern within less than 20 minutes.. I live in Suffolk so I don't know if heading east makes things easier but we had to have been home in no less than a little over an hour.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks for the tip Som!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
Somnambulist

Mon May 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Treve wrote:Thanks for the tip Som!
If you managed to snag tickets you will have a blast. NYRA is purporting it's sold out. I live on Long Island and worked in NYC for awhile and my sister still works in city. I've been to Belmont dozens of times (God bless the parents of children with strange interests). Regularly for about 20. Between her and I we can recommend pretty much anything!

I don't even know how I'll make it 3 weeks! There is so little that makes you feel like it's Christmas Eve as cynical New York adult. It's really some game.
Post Reply