Mendelssohn

Northport

Sun May 06, 2018 12:27 am

His chance was completely gone by the time he approached the first turn. By the time he passed the post for the first time, it was over. Bummer.

Hopefully he'll be back to fight again in the US later this year. A smaller field wouldn't hurt.
weeeeeeeee
Treve

Sun May 06, 2018 12:32 am

I remember it specifically being Pletcher, because of the Matterhorn thing. I'm sure he meant it as a joke, but I remember at the time thinking it was unkind given that even though Lani had all sorts of antics I don't recall that he ever acted up in the gate. He was a character but he was no Gold Ship.

I also don't think he's at fault for what Magnum Moon did, far from it, I do think it is a little ironic though, but he did make an excuse for his drifting in the Ark Derby, saying that he had never been so far ahead and he lost his focus etc. etc. I do think he tried to correct that by working him inside while doing works in company so as far as the trainer goes he did everything he could do in his power, besides not run the horse (but I think very few trainers would choose to not run an undefeated horse in the Derby on account of greenness, so in that sense it's really not a matter of placing blame).
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
stark

Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 am

Aidan O’Brien, trainer of Mendelssohn (20th)

“He just got knocked over coming out of the gate and then he got knocked over again going into the first bend, but he’ll be fine. He was never used to getting that much kickback. It’s a totally different experience, you know, so, we’ll be fine. We’ll take him home and give him a break and come back (for the Breeders’ Cup Classic). We’ll look forward to the Classic with him.”
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Big Ten

Sun May 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Mend disappointed as I thought he would be the biggest threat but I knew one drought had to continue and it was the foreign-based one.It's no big deal. Mend finished like Thunder Snow a year ago. Now he can win next year's Dubai World Cup. 8-)
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
stark

Sun May 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Ten things that Aidan O’Brien learnt from the Kentucky Derby
https://www.racinguk.com/news/ten-thing ... ucky-derby
luvsgeldings

Sun May 06, 2018 2:29 pm

I love AOB. love him. would be wonderful to see him come back here with Mendy later in the year and win the Classic.
katmandu

Sun May 06, 2018 2:35 pm

stark wrote:Ten things that Aidan O’Brien learnt from the Kentucky Derby
AOB has a lot of class.
luvsgeldings

Sun May 06, 2018 2:39 pm

yes he does. tons of it. another reason why I would like to see him win the Derby one day.
Tessablue

Sun May 06, 2018 3:35 pm

I admire his attitude about it, but... shouldn't he have known all that stuff already? It's not like Mendelssohn was his first starter in the race.
stark

Sun May 06, 2018 3:49 pm

Tessablue wrote:shouldn't he have known all that stuff already?
Well duh!
Was he really surprised that we're aggressive out of the gate rather than the laid back style of relaxing early in races?
Handicapping 101.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun May 06, 2018 4:33 pm

'The Savagery of American Racing.' :shock:
Doesn't mince words, does he?
As far as already being familiar with the style of American races, I believe he knew that we break fast. And Ryan tried to hustle the colt from the gate, but best-laid plans can be for naught when the horse(s) next to you body slam you like an NFL linebacker taking out a QB.
And yesterday's Derby WAS a wild mess, even more than usual, what with the rain, mud, noise and thousands of plastic rain ponchos flapping in the colt's face.
It will be interesting to see how they map out his campaign for the rest of the year.
katmandu

Sun May 06, 2018 4:34 pm

I think he mentions he knew that. He also said it was raised to another level by the conditions/race which is the variant I hear him responding to. And it was a fast 1/2, Mend got sent into it after being repeatedly mugged, but he's also a horse typically hustled to be forwardly placed.

It was a bit of an outlier race. An "excuse"? Perhaps, but he accepts the blame.

He's going to work on the blueprint. Sounds like the pressure in on. . . .

(BA, we were typing at the same time - and fairly similar :) )
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun May 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Tessablue wrote:I admire his attitude about it, but... shouldn't he have known all that stuff already? It's not like Mendelssohn was his first starter in the race.
I'm sure he did know all that, but probably realized now that it will take some extra training to make the horses break a tad faster (although Mendelssohn did break fast enough, he was just unlucky). Basically he just pointed out all the differences and that those are the areas were problems arise with shipping a horse over for the derby from Europe.
Treve

Sun May 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Big Ten wrote:Mend disappointed as I thought he would be the biggest threat but I knew one drought had to continue and it was the foreign-based one.It's no big deal. Mend finished like Thunder Snow a year ago. Now he can win next year's Dubai World Cup. 8-)
How can you even compare the two?
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Northport

Sun May 06, 2018 6:08 pm

stark wrote:
Tessablue wrote:shouldn't he have known all that stuff already?
Well duh!
Was he really surprised that we're aggressive out of the gate rather than the laid back style of relaxing early in races?
Handicapping 101.
He knows that American racing is more aggressive from the gate, it's the style that the horse needed + the weather + the insanity of the Derby that he wasn't prepared for.

Daddy Long Legs, Lines of Battle, etc. didn't have the momentum/hype that Mendelssohn had behind him before the Derby, and if I recall correctly, Aidan almost always is in Newmarket this weekend, not witnessing how crazy the Derby can be, especially when it is a monsoon.

How many live Derby chances has he had, running on the slop in the pouring rain, where said horse prefers the lead/needs a strong break, and Aidan is actually in Louisville live to watch everything shaking down as it happens?

He admits that it was a perfect storm of poor weather conditions, a nervous horse, and the horse not being prepared for all of the above.

I'm sure he will win a Derby in his lifetime.
weeeeeeeee
Turul

Sun May 06, 2018 6:15 pm

katmandu wrote:
stark wrote:Ten things that Aidan O’Brien learnt from the Kentucky Derby
AOB has a lot of class.
Well, yes.

On the other hand there is nothing new in what he said. It has been known for decades, as others pointed out.

O'Brien stated correctly that Europeans break then relax. Sure. Watching a race there is not very interesting. All the action takes place in the last furlong, you might as well go back to your reading for the rest.

I am glad he is honest and accepts fault, even though it wasn't all his fault. Mendelssohn was unlucky in being slammed several times. Few horses would have been able to overcome that given the mud and all.
Looking into the eyes of Cigar was a life changing experience.
katmandu

Sun May 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Turul wrote:On the other hand there is nothing new in what he said. It has been known for decades, as others pointed out.
AOB pointed it out too. And then he qualified it.
Turul

Sun May 06, 2018 6:23 pm

katmandu wrote:
Turul wrote:On the other hand there is nothing new in what he said. It has been known for decades, as others pointed out.
AOB pointed it out too. And then he qualified it.
Yes, I know, as I alluded to it and gave him credit.
Last edited by Turul on Sun May 06, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking into the eyes of Cigar was a life changing experience.
Treve

Sun May 06, 2018 6:25 pm

I also found it interesting that Ryan made the decision to ease him and canter to the finish, I'm so used to seeing jockeys riding to the finish in the U.S. unless they feel something is severely off. I suppose it makes you wonder what could have been, but I trust his instincts.

Also AOB probably did know all these things, but it is one thing to know them in theory, and another to witness them. For all the dirt starters he might've had I don't think he ever had any run on an off track or was there to witness it if they did much less an off track like the wettest day in Derby history... it really changed the cards they had in hand. Never mind that the best laid plans often turn to dust the moment the gate opens but when on top of that it rains like this...

Hoping Mendy gets a nice break, and I'd be curious as to what races they'd point him to here, if they're thinking of two preps with good distance to the Classic to travel back home. Haskell? Travers? PA Derby? Pacific Classic? Woodward?
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Somnambulist

Sun May 06, 2018 6:37 pm

I guess he was also recently reading Hunter S Thompson
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."