Justify

tcw

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:35 am

Justify comes along some 99 years after the first TC winner, Sir Barton, and the two chestnuts bare a striking resemblence to one another with that big, white facial blaze.
Big Ten

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:06 am

From 1979-2014, there were more Triple Crown failures than winners. That's 12 Belmont losers from a span of 35 years than 11 winners from a span of 59 years.

Two years ago, Nyquist was still an undefeated horse after he won the Derby and then lost the Preakness. Always Dreaming didn't even hit the board in the 2nd leg.

The 1920's, 1950's, 1960's, 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's never gave us a Triple Crown winner. That's six entire decades that didn't produce a TC winner. We will never know when the next Triple Crown winner happens.

Savor this decade in horse racing, the 2010's.
Last edited by Kurenai on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stop posting entire articles, I already asked you once, this is a copyright infringement. Going forward I will just delete postings like this instead of editing them for you.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Diver52

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:21 am

I know it's a lot of "what if," but it's crazy to think that with a few breaks, Baffert could have five TC winners. Silver Charm and Real Quiet hang on, Point Given runs his expected race in the KD (remember how dominant he was in the other two legs)--I think the guy can train. :-)
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
CoronadosQuest

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:34 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:'Ten, now you're stealing stuff from ESPN? Didn't you read what Kurenai wrote about copyright issues?
ESPN has the money and lawyers to cause some serious problems for this site, if the company decides that your copying whole articles has crossed a line. :(
To borrow a phrase from Bal: Just Make It Stop. :evil:
He doesn't read what we write is my only explanation.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:49 am

I eagerly await a thread Justify vs. American Pharoah that spans over dozens of pages. Actually I thought that there would be one by now when I wake up. :lol:
CoronadosQuest

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:54 am

Kurenai wrote:I eagerly await a thread Justify vs. American Pharoah that spans over dozens of pages. Actually I thought that there would be one by now when I wake up. :lol:
Im disappointed in the lack of Justify vs Jesus threads since Justify walked on water in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness similar to Curlin's walk on water in the Breeder's Cup Classic. A whole bunch of slackers here :P
stark

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:07 am

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
ThreeMustangs

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:31 am

stark wrote:Who had the keen eye and $500,000 at the Keeneland sale?
The smartest decision they made was sending him to Baffert. He’d still be going through his conditions if he was with Pletcher or Brown.
tcw

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:33 am

ThreeMustangs wrote:The smartest decision they made was sending him to Baffert. He’d still be going through his conditions if he was with Pletcher or Brown.
An excellent point! And with that in mind, it was mentioned recently on ATR how Baffert is 5-for-5 in the Preakness with his horses that won the KD, and the question was asked why don't the other trainers learn from that, that perhaps they may want to take a closer look at his training regimen, etc.
stark

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:54 am

ThreeMustangs wrote: The smartest decision they made was sending him to Baffert. He’d still be going through his conditions if he was with Pletcher or Brown.
Can you imagine Justify as a deep closer......John Shirreffs would've tried to make it happen!
and the list goes on.
Big Ten

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:16 am

Times: 1⁄4 mile – 23.37; 1⁄2 mile – 48.11; 3⁄4 mile – 1:13.21; mile – 1:38.09; 1 1⁄4miles - 2:02.90; final – 2:28.18.

Splits for each quarter-mile: (23.37) (24.74) (25.10) (24.88) (24.81) (25.28)

Not bad. Justify averaged out to nearly 24.7 per quarter. It's not as fast as Affirmed, Easy Goer, Point Given, and American Pharoah. Still faster than another June 9th Belmont. The one Spectacular Bid lost to Coastal.

I'm not going to make the barber shop argument of comparing Justify to past horses including to American Pharoah. Time only matters in jail, right Jack Van Berg? There's no time machine to prove our arguments will be correct.

I remember when Vino made that move on the turn, I was thinking please don't let me be right. As much as I believe Vino is a good horse and have nothing against him, I really didn't want to see Pletcher and Johnny V. spoil it.

Once I saw the separation after the 1:38 clicked, I knew Justify had it. I was jumping up and down hollering he got it from there like his Kentucky Derby win. I really liked Gronkowski's effort. From dead-last but still ran hard at the end.

Belmont featured Pletcher's B-team. I think if Audible was in it, Justify would have still won. As Jerry Bailey said, this is a horse with no real weaknesses. He was thrown into the lion's den early and has answered every call.

I still think Justify's Kentucky Derby will always be my favorite because it was the only time he was higher than EVEN money. Belmont was his toughest task though. I just love the Derby more as a race. Belmont has more bummers for me.

I share the same birthday as Jay-Z, Tyra Banks, Jeff Bridges, and Skip Bayless, so the number 4 has always been a lucky number next to 13 (1+3) and 22 (2+2). The 1, 3, and 7 are also numbers I love and he was #7 twice in the first two legs and #1 here.

From anonymity to immortal in 112 (1+1+2=4) days. That's unbelievable. Beautiful, big, muscular, chestnut horse. Easy name to remember. The 13th TC winner. Dream team connections. Hard for me to dislike this horse.

First horse to sweep the Triple Crown without a 2YO season.

Second horse to sweep the Triple Crown while undefeated.

Second Santa Anita Derby winner to sweep the Triple Crown.

Our biggest Triple Crown winner in history.

I knew my trip to Santa Anita was worth it. He was always "The One."
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Treve

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:26 am

CoronadosQuest wrote:I doubt Justify goes to the Awesome Again with the Breeder's Cup being on the east coast at Churchill Downs. He will probably do what American Pharoah did... maybe minus the Haskell.
That seems like needless travelling? Especially since Baffert didn't want to take Pharoah to the Travers and he takes them back to California either way, so how does preparing in NY make any difference when the BC's in Kentucky? There's what, 2 months between the Travers and BC? Works for some horses, not so much for others. And don't forget the Pennsylvania Derby 5 weeks out from the Travers +/- 5-6 weeks out from the BC and Baffert has taken horses there before and was recently updated to a G1.
Although I wonder, if Justify points to the PA Derby, does Mendelssohn dodge him before the BC? But regardless, prepping out East just cause the BC is out East only makes sense if you're prepping at the same track or if you're going to stay out East after your prep (which doesn't happen with Baffert horses outside the TC, especially not with 4 week+ turnarounds he brings them back to California) otherwise you're just racking up air mileage. Which isn't really an advantage.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Big Ten

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:05 pm

I never seen Bob Baffert emotional like this...

https://youtu.be/W0ZNdJlf9eE

I am so happy for him, his family, his staff, and for Mike Smith. Appreciate all of this right now. Once it's gone, it's gone. Could be another 25-40 years for the next Triple Crown winner and some of us could be dead by then.

Just a beautiful morning for me right now knowing he's our 13th. Justify fan for life! I hope to see our Big Boy four more months from now. Our Baby Huey pulled if off. I'm still in euphoria because I know about the heartache and the famine. Savor these times.

2015 - American Pharoah
2018 - Justify

Great times! As Rob Parker said after he won a bet (300 chicken wings) from Shannon Sharpe about the Golden State Warriors sweeping the Cleveland Cavaliers, everybody eats! Feast or famine. With a Triple Crown, it's mostly famine.
CoronadosQuest

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Treve wrote:
CoronadosQuest wrote:I doubt Justify goes to the Awesome Again with the Breeder's Cup being on the east coast at Churchill Downs. He will probably do what American Pharoah did... maybe minus the Haskell.
That seems like needless travelling? Especially since Baffert didn't want to take Pharoah to the Travers and he takes them back to California either way, so how does preparing in NY make any difference when the BC's in Kentucky? There's what, 2 months between the Travers and BC? Works for some horses, not so much for others. And don't forget the Pennsylvania Derby 5 weeks out from the Travers +/- 5-6 weeks out from the BC and Baffert has taken horses there before and was recently updated to a G1.
Although I wonder, if Justify points to the PA Derby, does Mendelssohn dodge him before the BC? But regardless, prepping out East just cause the BC is out East only makes sense if you're prepping at the same track or if you're going to stay out East after your prep (which doesn't happen with Baffert horses outside the TC, especially not with 4 week+ turnarounds he brings them back to California) otherwise you're just racking up air mileage. Which isn't really an advantage.
You dont think they will have Justify rest at WinStar for a bit? Also American Pharoah stayed on the east coast.
stark

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:22 pm

A week @ Churchill then meet with WinStar to develop the future plan.

Absolutely zero, zilch, nada discussion about any specific race.

per BB on SoCal radio this morning.
Treve

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:47 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:
You dont think they will have Justify rest at WinStar for a bit? Also American Pharoah stayed on the east coast.
Oh for sure he'll rest at WinStar first. I'm talking about the latter half of the Summer.
American Pharoah didn't stay on the East Coast. He flew to Saratoga from California 3 days before the Travers and I remember after his loss one of the first thing people blamed it on was his miles travelled (and in fact a few of them complained even before he was entered in the Travers that he was travelling too much). He never ran on the West Coast after his TC win but he absolutely was stabled there throughout the rest of his post-TC campaign. Since Bob doesn't actually keep stables out of California I think he prefers having his star pupils as close to him as possible.

See here for his arriving at Saratoga from California https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... t-saratoga
Triple Crown winner flew from California to New York Aug. 26 for Travers (gr. I) bid.
See here for his arriving at Keeneland from California https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -keeneland
Southern California-based American Pharoah was vanned to the Keeneland backstretch from the nearby Blue Grass Airport where he arrived on a Tex Sutton Charter that originated from Ontario International Airport in Ontario, Calif. that morning. The flight included Bob Baffert's stable pony Smokey and other Breeders' Cup contenders.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Squeaky

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Sounds like Justy may just head back to BB barn in CA after stop over in KY to be paraded next Sat before Stephen Foster. I really hope they decide to give him a break at WinStar after for a few weeks. Does Bob ever graze his horses? I can’t recall a photo of this. Would love to see Justy outside grazing. He tried to eat the flowers off his blanket when led outside the barn.
tcw

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Interestingly, some similarities between the two "big reds", Secretariat and Justify:

Both big chestnuts with white blaze on face
Ran on the same calendar dates for the three TC races
Secretariat born on 3/30, Justify born on 3/28 (The first "big red", Man 'o War born on 3/29)
Their respective sires passed away shortly after their births, gone before their respective TC years
Both have remarkable achievements on the track:
Secretariat set and still holds the record for fastest times in all three TC events
Justify the first and only horse to win TC not having raced as a 2yo, and the only other undefeated TC winner along with Seattle Slew

Not at all saying Justify's achievements on the track are more remarkable, etc., just noting some interesting facts relating to both horses.
WarBiscuit

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:03 pm

"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Ziggypop

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Squeaky wrote:Sounds like Justy may just head back to BB barn in CA after stop over in KY to be paraded next Sat before Stephen Foster. I really hope they decide to give him a break at WinStar after for a few weeks. Does Bob ever graze his horses? I can’t recall a photo of this. Would love to see Justy outside grazing. He tried to eat the flowers off his blanket when led outside the barn.
I am with you. Having to stand in a stall only to be hand walked at a track is not a break. I think that what undid Arrogate - boredom.