Justify

MySaladDays

Mon May 07, 2018 5:28 am

Baffert's remark "I guess I shouldn't have made him walk on gravel" was rather disingenous though.

the problem with US racing is that you don't know what your are betting on. We don't know who had shockwave therapy, oxygen chamber treatments, let alone medications (sometimes for conditions they don't even have), etc. Someday a track vet will write a tell-all.

I mostly bet HKJC nowadays, because all of this is transparent and readily available to the bettors, so I am not tossing money at horses who have problems/are being kept together with things I don't know about. When that changes they can have some of my money back.

Plus, I love Jenny Chapman, she's a truly affable and charming, as well as incredibly knowledgeable paddock analyst.
Ballerina

Mon May 07, 2018 8:28 am

Tragic loss to TB breeding. He's willing great success for Justify as revenge for him dying so soon - just 11 years old.
perfectsoul

Mon May 07, 2018 11:11 am

Some horses are more sensitive, especially (it seems) those who have white legs and yes, if they are sensitive one muddy race (or trail ride) can cause scratches to act up on a sensitive horse. When the pastern touches the track surface, dirt or mud it creates enough friction to re-irritate the scratches. We had horses damn well take off an ergot in a muddy race, where there was no previous issue. I have had personal horses long recovered from scratches, and one muddy mountain trail ride brings them back in the same exact place. Argh.

I would also think Justify was a bit body sore from running the distance in a deep track.

I certainly have enjoyed all the speculation on Paulick Report etc. Very amusing.
stark

Mon May 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Justify doing fine, "diaper rash"-like irritation subsiding, per Baffert

Justify, the Kentucky Derby winner, jogged fine at the barn on Monday morning at Churchill Downs, trainer Bob Baffert said, one day after Justify's reaction to walking over gravel in the stable area with some minor irritation on his left hind leg caused social media to go into a tizzy.

"He's so much better today," Baffert said Monday via telephone from Santa Anita while watching his horses train. “Believe me, half those horses who ran on that track had something. It’s from running in the mud. It's like diaper rash.

"We jogged him Sunday in the shed and he was fine. When I brought him out to show everyone, he stepped on the gravel and he was a little sensitive to it. He jogged today at the barn and he’s fine."

Justify is scheduled to go back to the track on Wednesday after three days of walking at the barn. He is scheduled to fly to Pimlico a few days before the Preakness. Baffert's top assistant, Jim Barnes, remained at Churchill Downs to oversee Justify's day-to-day care.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/42386-justi ... er-baffert
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
MySaladDays

Mon May 07, 2018 1:09 pm

perfectsoul wrote:Some horses are more sensitive, especially (it seems) those who have white legs and yes, if they are sensitive one muddy race (or trail ride) can cause scratches to act up on a sensitive horse. When the pastern touches the track surface, dirt or mud it creates enough friction to re-irritate the scratches. We had horses damn well take off an ergot in a muddy race, where there was no previous issue. I have had personal horses long recovered from scratches, and one muddy mountain trail ride brings them back in the same exact place. Argh.

I would also think Justify was a bit body sore from running the distance in a deep track.

I certainly have enjoyed all the speculation on Paulick Report etc. Very amusing.
Are scratches genetic?
Kurenai
Site Admin

Mon May 07, 2018 2:18 pm

MySaladDays wrote: Are scratches genetic?
No. It's just a bad combo of bacteria and moisture. Horses with socks are bit more prone to it (probably the pigmentation adds another layer of protection, like sun screen), horses with long feathers too. If anything it's maybe auto immune system related, but even that I doubt. Baffert was right with comparing it to a diaper rash to explain how it happens. Just like humans some horses have more sensitive skin than others.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon May 07, 2018 2:27 pm

I've also heard it referred to as a fungal infection. Whatever the original cause, it appears to a chronic issue that never completely goes away. As someone else posted here, your horse can seem free of it...but then a muddy ride or dirty scratch, and you're back at square one. :(
Ballerina

Mon May 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Kurenai wrote:
MySaladDays wrote: Are scratches genetic?
No. It's just a bad combo of bacteria and moisture. Horses with socks are bit more prone to it (probably the pigmentation adds another layer of protection, like sun screen), horses with long feathers too. If anything it's maybe auto immune system related, but even that I doubt. Baffert was right with comparing it to a diaper rash to explain how it happens. Just like humans some horses have more sensitive skin than others.
I compare it to hot spots in dogs.
Ballerina

Mon May 07, 2018 4:03 pm

He paused beside his trusted friend— not because his bones were weary; not because his mind was bleak; not because the heart inside his chest was roaring still.

He paused, beside his trusted friend, to take it in— the smell of Earth, thirsty for the deluge pouring downward— a crescendo of droplets from Heaven above.

He paused, beside his trusted friend, to recollect—on the heartening voices of young and old; the hands raised skyward; the faces— mere polka dots beneath the rainfall, lining his periphery.

He paused beside his trusted friend, to revel— in the glory of white flashes; the hint of red roses; with overwhelming sense that things would never be the same; for he was a champion unlike any other.

He paused beside his trusted friend, to reminisce— of the moments in quiet, before the crowds; the tender notions before the cameras; the pats of reward before the wins—

He paused beside his trusted friend, to thank him— for braving the storm; for standing statue still beside him; for believing he was a champion from the very start.

-Nicole Schiveley

Photo by Frances J. Karon

Sparrow Castle

Mon May 07, 2018 5:12 pm

“A Beast From Day One”
Rick Hammerle has been racing secretary at Santa Anita for 15 years and was stakes coordinator at Monmouth Park for 12 years, and he thought he had heard everything. That is until one day in mid-February of this year. Hammerle had carded a seven-furlong maiden race for 3-year-olds, and Bob Baffert walked into his office to make sure that the race was going to fill. It had to.

Baffert had a first-time starter named Justify entered in the race and impressed upon Hammerle the importance of that race going. Baffert seems to have a horse in every maiden race, so why, Hammerle thought, was this particular one so important? That's when Baffert dropped a bombshell on him.

"I got a horse in there that can win the Kentucky Derby." he said.

What? Hammerle was floored when he heard that. Baffert at the time had three of the leading 3-year-olds in the country in McKinzie, Mourinho, and Solomini, all major stakes horses, and he's telling Hammerle in mid-February that he can win the Kentucky Derby with a horse who had never raced?

"I have seen lot of good horses over the years, and I'd never heard anything like that before," Hammerle said. "I was like, ‘Oh my God, the enormity of that statement.' I had never even heard anyone say that about a horse going into the Santa Anita Derby, never mind a first-time starter going into a maiden race in February. It was unbelievable."
More: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... y-one.aspx
Ballerina

Mon May 07, 2018 5:18 pm

It's hard to believe that just 2-1/2 months ago he raced his first race. Three races later he wins the Kentucky Derby. Phenomenal horse.
Sparrow Castle

Mon May 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Alex Evers @A_Evers
5h5 hours ago
Every Derby there is one picture I miss in the edit. This was from what I call “The Beholder Cam” for if they run dead on the rail.... had to crop a bit, but Justify looks like a beast in this frame!! #kyderby
CoronadosQuest

Mon May 07, 2018 6:47 pm

I really wish WinStar or Baffert would have a vet just comment on Justify's scratches so that people could just drop it already.
Somnambulist

Mon May 07, 2018 6:48 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:I really wish WinStar or Baffert would have a vet just comment on Justify's scratches so that people could just drop it already.
Stuff like this is why connections are going to zip it from going forward.

How hard is sensitive skin hard for people to comprehend. And these people procreate. And vote.
CoronadosQuest

Mon May 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
CoronadosQuest wrote:I really wish WinStar or Baffert would have a vet just comment on Justify's scratches so that people could just drop it already.
Stuff like this is why connections are going to zip it from going forward.

How hard is sensitive skin hard for people to comprehend. And these people procreate. And vote.
Right? Its not like WinStar and Baffert are going to move forward with racing a horse if he was injured. I'm pretty sure WinStar wants the only son of Scat Daddy to win the Kentucky Derby in their breeding shed alive and healthy someday.
Starine

Mon May 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Op/Ed: Derby Too Much, Too Soon for Justify
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/op ... r-justify/

From Bill Finley back in February :)
Sparrow Castle

Mon May 07, 2018 7:56 pm

holly @kyholmarie
7m7 minutes ago
Justify walking the shed row for all the inquiring minds out there #KyDerby
https://twitter.com/kyholmarie/status/9 ... 2994334720
tcw

Mon May 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Regarding all of the Justify hullabaloo when B2 brought him out the morning after the race, Steve Byk discusses this with B2 at the link below:

http://stevebyk.com/broadcast/hour-3-ru ... b-baffert/
Ballerina

Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Starine wrote:Op/Ed: Derby Too Much, Too Soon for Justify
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/op ... r-justify/

From Bill Finley back in February :)

Doubt he will though.
honneerider

Mon May 07, 2018 10:11 pm

IMO the same people who continually post strong political views about everything wrong with the govt, are the same individuals posting how lame justify is and no TC.