Secretariat 44 years after

Diver52

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:11 am

I don't really remember the Derby and Preakness--in the sense of a vivid memory--but the Belmont is as fresh as if it were yesterday. I was screaming at the television--a tiny dorm room B&W--"1.09.4? You moron Turcotte. . ." AP's Triple Crown was a thrill, but nothing like that stomping on history and possibility that Big Red laid down.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Rick1323

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:08 am

Few sport stars were as dominant as Secretariat. I wonder what his career would look like in today's era of the internet and non stop TV coverage. But at the same time I feel sorry for those too young to have lived through his campaign. I have always wondered how enormous Babe Ruth would appear today when he was hitting more home runs then entire teams. Secretariat was that kind of huge......
Everyone come home sound.....
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:14 am

Secretariat is one of the truly great loves of my life. With all due respect to other great ones before and since, to me Secretariat is the greatest horse to ever look through a bridle. I was in the clubhouse stands screaming for him along with everyone else the day Secretariat won his Belmont Stakes, and still remember the precise spot I was at the day news of his death came over my car radio.

If there really is a hereafter, I hope for two things when my time comes to go there: that my beloved Annabelle and Wolfie (German Wirehaired Pointer littermates) and my equally beloved Secretariat are there. Eternity would be mighty lonely without them.

Since Steve mentioned his photo of Red with a stick in his mouth asking to play, here it is:

Ballerina

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 am

Haskin wrote a great piece. My favorite, however, is Bill Nack's PURE HEART. Another great wordsmith.

https://www.si.com/longform/belmont/index.html