Dubai World Cup

Della

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Just watched the head-on of the start. Mike Smith did a fine job to stay on after those body slams, and Arrogate needed a few strides just to get balanced again. Many horses would have thrown the bit at that point, especially getting all that dirt in the face at the same time.

It's my birthday today, and this race was such a lovely gift!
Treve

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Della wrote:Just watched the head-on of the start. Mike Smith did a fine job to stay on after those body slams, and Arrogate needed a few strides just to get balanced again. Many horses would have thrown the bit at that point, especially getting all that dirt in the face at the same time.

Happy Birthday!
And yeah the #8's jock practically had his elbow in Mike's chest. It looked really bad. I just... I'm still absolutely dazzled.
Press Conference with the connections:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... conference
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Big Ten

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:38 pm

Just downloaded the replay and what more can be said about a young horse who has now won three of the richest races on dirt and became the richest NA runner after just 8 starts? 21st century's GOAT. I loved Zenyatta, Cigar, and Ghostzapper but Arrogate is probably better than all of them. Better than American Pharoah, Shared Belief, and California Chrome. Better than Holy Bull, Songbird, or any other talented horse Mike Smith has ever ridden.

He runs sub 24 final quarters on dirt in his sleep. No doubt the 21st century version of Spectacular Bid. Incredible, once-in-a-generation raw talent. Arrogate may not be the prettiest horse. He probably lacks the charisma like Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Zenyatta. But he is probably as talented as any of them. Can't wait to see him in Del Mar this year and another Pegasus run next January at Santa Anita. First NA $20M earner. GOAT horse of my generation and greatest and most talented American horse since The Bid.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Apollo

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:46 pm

After that break I immediately thought it was very fortunate that Mike Smith was the rider and not someone like Jean Cruguet. On this horse there's no need to panic and bully him toward the lead immediately. But not every jockey would have recognized that.

The race caller did an excellent job of pinpointing Arrogate as dead last early. From there he was quite weak. Arrogate was the only story. A race caller at 61 years old and apparently calling his final race should have understood that. It was ridiculous to use standard technique and rattle off the names and places of the other horses in the field. They were trivial at best. I'm not a huge Larry Collmus fan but he would have understood the need to focus almost entirely on Arrogate for the remainder of the race and specifically on Mike Smith's evolving strategy on the fly.

I never thought Arrogate was finished. Not when Gun Runner is the principal rival. If it had been California Chrome a dozen lengths ahead, that's a different story.

Besides, 10 furlongs was plenty of time.

I'm more and more a fan of Bob Baffert. For one thing, how many people would have named their kid after Bode Miller? Bode is actually a good guy but he's not always had that reputation. Just the opposite. In fact, Bode's wife said she scoffed at the idea she would ever marry him, once it was obvious Bode was pursuing her. She grasped the public impression that he was a jerk. Bob Baffert obviously sensed otherwise, very early and correctly.

Today I really appreciated that Bob Baffert wasn't uttering a profanity at every other word, while watching the race live. He didn't say bleeping unbelievable every time, while watching Arrogate finish off the comeback. He left it at unbelievable. Time after time he simply said unbelievable. That may not sound like much but in watching as many sporting events as I do it's disgusting how many athletes and coaches and everyone involved apparently thinks a profanity is proper and not big deal. IMO, it is low class.

We saw those close up replays of Baffert and his crew only because of the Dubai scheduling of a relaxed post race timetable. That is fantastic. When I was a kid the classics were run at the bottom of the hour, like 5:30 when the coverage concluded at 6 PM. That enabled enough time for significant post race coverage and analysis. As the decades pushed forward the races were shoved closer and closer to the end of the broadcast. I guess the networks are determined to hold the audience for as long as possible and then rush off the air not long after the result. Even the Kentucky Derby trophy presentation now falls victim to this trend, even if the network will stay on past the top of the hour for a few minutes. Overall it's been a lousy trend for horse racing fans, like almost every change in the past half century or so. I applaud Dubai for doing it their own way. But no doubt if NBC proper had covered the race in an afternoon time slot and not NBCSN in late morning we would have dashed off the air for figure skating, or whatever, within a few minutes after Arrogate's triumph.
Starine

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 pm

I thought I had seen it all - Steve Haskin
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... t-all.aspx
Insane Crazy

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:29 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/racing/2017/ ... start-win/

I enjoyed this read, especially this purely delightful bit of thorough British understatement:
Lord Grimthorpe, his British counterpart in the Juddmonte team, was equally effusive about the performance. “When I saw the start I thought he’s going to need to be a good horse to win from there. It was so exciting. You don’t see that very often in dirt racing when they circle the field. He’s a good horse.”
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Apollo

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:33 pm

The turf races are much more interesting on that track. Nice variety. Not all of them evolve into the garbage American version of nothing happening until the final turn when it's a bunched cavalry charge to the wire. I guess it's the aspect of the turf course being the inner lane with cramped conditions that ruins the races in this country. But it still takes me a while to get accustomed to seeing the turf course on the outside.
Kay16

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:55 pm

I'm actually at a loss for words.
That was....wow.
American Pharoah and now Arrogate....I feel like those who got to grow up in the 70s.
Special, special talent here.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:57 am

Apollo: Today I really appreciated that Bob Baffert wasn't uttering a profanity at every other word....

I wonder if it's because his young son is usually by his side...and certainly within earshot. Bob may be mindful that he's a father before he's a trainer.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starine

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:14 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Starine: Today I really appreciated that Bob Baffert wasn't uttering a profanity at every other word....

I wonder if it's because his young son is usually by his side...and certainly within earshot. Bob may be mindful that he's a father before he's a trainer.
That wasn't me who said that; it was Apollo ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:23 am

Sorry...fixed that. :oops:
Starine

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:41 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Sorry...fixed that. :oops:
No worries! :)
Starine

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:42 am

Della wrote:Just watched the head-on of the start. Mike Smith did a fine job to stay on after those body slams, and Arrogate needed a few strides just to get balanced again. Many horses would have thrown the bit at that point, especially getting all that dirt in the face at the same time.

Belated Happy Birthday!

Mine is today.
tcw

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 am

Tessablue wrote:Read on twitter that he lost 93 feet of ground
I was wondering about that after seeing how wide he was around the first turn and also down the backstretch. This was truly an AMAZING performance by an unbelievably talented horse! The likes of him may not be seen again for a VERY long time, so enjoy him for the relatively short time that he's on the track.
TapitsGal

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:53 am

Was very excited about Arrogates win but after Stormadals injury and euthanasia after an earlier race in the card didn't seem to enjoy it as much
barbaro111

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:19 am

Tessablue wrote:Here's the head-on of his start: https://twitter.com/retro411/status/845682483886637056

Holy moly- I cannot imagine any other horse overcoming that horrid break-- and winning this race. He is truly a
wondrous creature
Calypso

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:00 am

So even with a 93ft (what is that, around 16 lengths?) head start they couldn't beat him. Absolute lunacy. Cheers to Arrogate and all his connections and here's hoping he returns home safely and stays healthy for the BC!
Soylent green is....tasty!!!
stark

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:33 am

Not sure how Andy does it but he came up with a 115.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Della

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Starine wrote:

Belated Happy Birthday!

Mine is today.
Hey, Starine - Happy Birthday! Hope you're having a great day :)
katmandu

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:10 pm

When the comment is made that Arrogate ran 93 feet further, what is the frame of reference? Ninety three feet further than Gunrunner?