NTRA Moment of the Year

Calypso

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:40 am

Poll is open. Is it just me or are this years' choices insanely difficult? Chrome's saddle slipped victory in the DWC is definitely a worthy moment, but so is Beholder & Songbird in the Distaff, and so is Arrogate and Chrome in the Classic....and who can forget Lady Eli's return to victory.....or Tepin's trip to Royal Ascot? Aaaah, too many really good choices this year!

Article:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... f-the-year

Direct Link to Poll:
https://ntramoment.formstack.com/forms/2016ntramoment
Soylent green is....tasty!!!
Kelly Ann

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:47 pm

This year was insanely, in a wonderful way, difficult!

I ended up going with Chrome in Dubai. That saddle slipping on the international stage and him still charging home. An act of incredible balance by Espinoza and Chrome himself disregarding what I have had personal experience with (albeit it not on a racehorse running full out) and wound up on my backside on the ground with my horse bucking like a lunatic.

But it was a close call. Quite a few ways to go this year that even if the one I picked loses out I'd still be equally happy about winning.
Quiet Chris

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Tough call. Went with Beholder-Songbird as it was best "moment" of the Year. Frosted Met Mile was probably best race performance or perhaps Arrogate in Travers, but as for excitement, you can't really beat the Beholder-Songbird race. Literally half a nostril after a stretch battle that went the entire stretch. Ironically it was the gutsy effort of the loser that made the race. A 3yr old filly stuck on the rail, who y had never really been in a dogfight. I am amazed she didn't fold.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:17 pm

So many of those races would be great choices, but I also went with 'Chrome's win in the World Cup.
We were lucky to have so many great races this year, and no doubt the Distaff was an epic battle, but...we usually get a few excellent stretch battles every year. How often do we get a great American race horse winning the world's richest race, over a top international field, going away in the stretch....all while wearing a bucking strap!? :o
That shouldn't have happened.
For Victor to not lose his balance when the saddle stopped being secure was amazing. For 'Chrome to keep running a hole in the wind, all while the girth slipped over his sensitive loins, was epic. That made it, IMHO, a legendary race. :mrgreen:
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
carole

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Beholder over Songbird for me. This was my favourite moment because we knew that this was Beholder's final race and to see her go out on top in such incredible style whilst giving her all and putting on an impressive performance (that was only made better by Songbird), it was really something! That was a race for the ages!
Northport

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:57 pm

Tepin winning at Royal Ascot - that was such a thrill!
weeeeeeeee
Big Ten

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:00 am

Beholder vs Songbird in the Distaff is the best race of the year. That excited even more than California Chrome vs Dortmund in the San Diego which was also spectacular.

I liked Chrome's Pacific Classic more than his DWC win. But Arrogate's Travers and BC Classic were faster and earned higher figures. Arrogate's Travers win is as freakishly as great as many other freaks like Secretariat, Ghostzapper, and Inside Information's Distaff win. Him collaring Chrome at the end kinda put a damper on many of Chrome's wins this year. Chrome ran his A game like his other wins but Arrogate's ceiling is still higher.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
CoronadosQuest

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:14 pm

I voted for Songbird vs Beholder. It was everything we wanted in a showdown and more!
Man o Taz

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:00 am

Very tough.

I picked Chrome's Dubai World Cup win.

Until that moment, we did not know whether or not California Chrome would win another Group 1 race on dirt.

He faced a stronger field than what was in the gate in 2015 including a talented Frosted, Special Fighter, Mshawish, Mubtaahij and Hoppertunity, and powered away with a slipped saddle.

Tepin's Royal Ascot win would be my second choice. She was remarkable and given little chance and she powered through.

I also thought the Pacific Classic was an incredible battle between two future HOFers as was the BC Distaff. And the BC Classic was incredible as well.

And the indivdual performances of Frosted and Arrogate with their stakes marks...

We certainly have been spoiled this year.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
MR-W

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Big Ten wrote:Beholder vs Songbird in the Distaff is the best race of the year. That excited even more than California Chrome vs Dortmund in the San Diego which was also spectacular.

Him collaring Chrome at the end kinda put a damper on many of Chrome's wins this year. Chrome ran his A game like his other wins but Arrogate's ceiling is still higher.
Boy, I don't see Chrome's year diminished one bit. I think Arrogate is a monster but so is Chrome. Victor chose to ride Arrogate rather than his own horse in the BC. I think Victor has learned a lesson because of that race. Let Chrome run and look forward rather than looking behind multiple times from the far stretch turn on. We agree on Beholder and Songbird...
Treve

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:59 pm

Songbird winning the Alabama for my first return to the track since I was 8 was very special to me.

Tepin's win at Royal Ascot was also an amazing feat, and Chrome's win in Dubai was spectacular.

Arrogate's record breaking performance in the Travers was an 'unveiling' that stirred the soul.

But I voted for the Distaff because that was the only moment that brought me to tears and left my bones vibrating with the buzz of adrenaline.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Ridan_Remembered

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Chrome turns to gold is a well-deserved winner of this award.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:39 pm

While 'Chrome's World Cup win was my choice, I wouldn't have been terribly disappointed to see another 'moment' win. We were lucky fans in 2016, with horses like Arrogate, Beholder, Flintshire, Frosted, Found, Highland Reel, Lady Eli, Nyquist, Songbird and Tepin thrilling us all year.