Pegusus World Cup G1

Post Reply
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Final Field (barring injuries or defections)

Confirmed Starters
California Chrome LLC: California Chrome
James McIngvale: Eragon
Earle Mack: Noble Bird
Juddmonte: Arrogate
Reddam Racing: Semper Fortis
Daniel Schafer: War Story
Jerry & Ronald Frankel: Keen Ice
Starlight Pegasus Partners: Neolithic
Reeves Thoroughbreds: Breaking Lucky
Jeff Weiss & Rosedown Racing: Prayer for Relief
Ruis Racing: War Envoy
Frank Stronach: Shaman Ghost

I legitimately can't believe they got 12 horses in the gate. Shame we won't see Gun Runner. He could have been competitive, imo. Also a bit surprised at no Hoppy in the gate.
Last edited by bare it all on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:38 am, edited 14 times in total.
User avatar
CoronadosQuest
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:19 pm

Eragon from Argentina huh? Interesting.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10674
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:16 pm

I thought Stronach's Shaman Ghost was a definite, barring problems, of course. :?
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5105
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:47 pm

McIngvale Finds Horse for His Pegasus Slot
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... gasus-slot
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Mike Welsch‏@DRFWelsch
Sticksstatelydude off the Pegasus Watch, sidelined indefinitely http://live.drf.com/nuggets/34421 (DRF Plus - can't read it)
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Could be fun/interesting to try and match the prospective horses to the slots. Obviously everyone wants Arrogate, but does Juddmonte partner with someone or do they buy a slot? They hold are the cards right now. Wouldn't be surprised if Coolmore would try to work a partnership deal in exchange for seasons to Arrogate once he retires...
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:56 pm

Treve wrote:Could be fun/interesting to try and match the prospective horses to the slots. Obviously everyone wants Arrogate, but does Juddmonte partner with someone or do they buy a slot? They hold are the cards right now. Wouldn't be surprised if Coolmore would try to work a partnership deal in exchange for seasons to Arrogate once he retires...
Alicia Wincze Hughes‏@BH_AHughes
Just announced that Juddmonte, owner of BC Classic winner Arrogate, will purchase Coolmore's 2017 Pegasus World Cup Invitational entry.

One of the replies to this tweet:
David Mangan ‏@djm3664
@BH_AHughes @DanonymousMan This is odd. Not exactly bosom buddies . Might they be about to send mares to Arrogate a little later?
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10674
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:08 pm

I'd guess that Coolmore finally nixed the idea of running Highland Reel, or any of their other grass horses, in the Pegasus. Since they've already spent that $1 million for the spot in the gate, they might as well recoup some or all of their cost...and I suspect Juddmonte was the only one who both wants to run and who has a horse who could win it all.
Maybe the financial arrangements make it financially acceptable for both parties, but I doubt that we're ever going to learn the details.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Treve wrote:Could be fun/interesting to try and match the prospective horses to the slots. Obviously everyone wants Arrogate, but does Juddmonte partner with someone or do they buy a slot? They hold are the cards right now. Wouldn't be surprised if Coolmore would try to work a partnership deal in exchange for seasons to Arrogate once he retires...
Alicia Wincze Hughes‏@BH_AHughes
Just announced that Juddmonte, owner of BC Classic winner Arrogate, will purchase Coolmore's 2017 Pegasus World Cup Invitational entry.

One of the replies to this tweet:
David Mangan ‏@djm3664
@BH_AHughes @DanonymousMan This is odd. Not exactly bosom buddies . Might they be about to send mares to Arrogate a little later?
I should become a bookie. :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:24 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'd guess that Coolmore finally nixed the idea of running Highland Reel, or any of their other grass horses, in the Pegasus. Since they've already spent that $1 million for the spot in the gate, they might as well recoup some or all of their cost...and I suspect Juddmonte was the only one who both wants to run and who has a horse who could win it all.
Maybe the financial arrangements make it financially acceptable for both parties, but I doubt that we're ever going to learn the details.
It's possible he didn't take to the dirt if they've tried training him on it.
But actually, just because Coolmore sells their spot doesn't mean they can't still run a horse, if an other slot owner offers up their stall. Actually that would be clever - they don't need to spend money on an entrance fee, or not as much, they recouped their initial 1 million $ and they may get a chance reaping some prize money and handle share.
I'm sure there's some very interesting wheeling and dealing behind the scenes, regardless.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:29 pm

Treve wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Treve wrote:Could be fun/interesting to try and match the prospective horses to the slots. Obviously everyone wants Arrogate, but does Juddmonte partner with someone or do they buy a slot? They hold are the cards right now. Wouldn't be surprised if Coolmore would try to work a partnership deal in exchange for seasons to Arrogate once he retires...
Alicia Wincze Hughes‏@BH_AHughes
Just announced that Juddmonte, owner of BC Classic winner Arrogate, will purchase Coolmore's 2017 Pegasus World Cup Invitational entry.

One of the replies to this tweet:
David Mangan ‏@djm3664
@BH_AHughes @DanonymousMan This is odd. Not exactly bosom buddies . Might they be about to send mares to Arrogate a little later?
I should become a bookie. :lol:
Yes, you should. I came here to post the tweet and saw what you posted earlier, and laughed out loud. Thanks for that!

Edited to add the BH article.
Juddmonte Purchases Coolmore's Pegasus World Cup Slot
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... d-cup-slot
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:02 am

Shaman Ghost progressing for World Cup
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -world-cup
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Man o Taz
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:03 am

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:03 pm

Treve wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'd guess that Coolmore finally nixed the idea of running Highland Reel, or any of their other grass horses, in the Pegasus. Since they've already spent that $1 million for the spot in the gate, they might as well recoup some or all of their cost...and I suspect Juddmonte was the only one who both wants to run and who has a horse who could win it all.
Maybe the financial arrangements make it financially acceptable for both parties, but I doubt that we're ever going to learn the details.
It's possible he didn't take to the dirt if they've tried training him on it.
But actually, just because Coolmore sells their spot doesn't mean they can't still run a horse, if an other slot owner offers up their stall. Actually that would be clever - they don't need to spend money on an entrance fee, or not as much, they recouped their initial 1 million $ and they may get a chance reaping some prize money and handle share.
I'm sure there's some very interesting wheeling and dealing behind the scenes, regardless.
Quite insightful of you since Coolmore achieved full value for their share $1 million, and the rest of the shares are likely to be cheaper to come by since the likelihood of the others winning is much slimmer. This move made good business sense.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend


Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
Horsebagger
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Is there an article with proof that Juddmonte paid the full $1 MM for the Coolmore slot?
blamethewinner
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:05 am

Man o Taz wrote:
Treve wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'd guess that Coolmore finally nixed the idea of running Highland Reel, or any of their other grass horses, in the Pegasus. Since they've already spent that $1 million for the spot in the gate, they might as well recoup some or all of their cost...and I suspect Juddmonte was the only one who both wants to run and who has a horse who could win it all.
Maybe the financial arrangements make it financially acceptable for both parties, but I doubt that we're ever going to learn the details.
It's possible he didn't take to the dirt if they've tried training him on it.
But actually, just because Coolmore sells their spot doesn't mean they can't still run a horse, if an other slot owner offers up their stall. Actually that would be clever - they don't need to spend money on an entrance fee, or not as much, they recouped their initial 1 million $ and they may get a chance reaping some prize money and handle share.
I'm sure there's some very interesting wheeling and dealing behind the scenes, regardless.
Quite insightful of you since Coolmore achieved full value for their share $1 million, and the rest of the shares are likely to be cheaper to come by since the likelihood of the others winning is much slimmer. This move made good business sense.
There's absolutely no chance they paid $1 million.
stark
Posts: 5887
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:53 am

Horsebagger wrote:Is there an article with proof that Juddmonte paid the full $1 MM for the Coolmore slot?
blamethewinner wrote: There's absolutely no chance they paid $1 million.
What possible difference does it make to know the correct answer to this?

Might as well be asking if one of us really paid for preferred parking at the track or did we just tip the attendant a few bucks. Or did we really pay for a double shot of Crown Royal or just tip the bartender an extra couple of bucks.

We do know that these folks aren't in the habit of doing favors for each other, but a million bucks here or there really means nothing to either of them, good for both of 'em, nuff said.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Quiet Chris
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:14 am

Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:55 am

Horsebagger wrote:Is there an article with proof that Juddmonte paid the full $1 MM for the Coolmore slot?
They likely paid nothing. Perhaps a few Frankel or future Arrogate seasons in a phone agreement.

While they are competitors they also are in bed with each other all the time. I am sure Coolmore loved seeing Frankel dominate as they own Galileo. Just like I am sure Juddmonte will love to see Coolmore win big races with their Frankels, which they have been buying and sending mares to.
blamethewinner
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:33 am

stark wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:Is there an article with proof that Juddmonte paid the full $1 MM for the Coolmore slot?
blamethewinner wrote: There's absolutely no chance they paid $1 million.
What possible difference does it make to know the correct answer to this?

Might as well be asking if one of us really paid for preferred parking at the track or did we just tip the attendant a few bucks. Or did we really pay for a double shot of Crown Royal or just tip the bartender an extra couple of bucks.

We do know that these folks aren't in the habit of doing favors for each other, but a million bucks here or there really means nothing to either of them, good for both of 'em, nuff said.
It's no issue if, apparently like you, you are OK with buying things that are worth a fraction of what you paid in virtually no time.
stark
Posts: 5887
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:45 am

blamethewinner wrote:
stark wrote:
What possible difference does it make to know the correct answer to this?
It's no issue if, apparently like you, you are OK with buying things that are worth a fraction of what you paid in virtually no time.
Dissecting the entry fees for a race like this is meaningless, it's all about bragging rights and penis size for the big boys of the sport. When they spend millions on jewelry for their loved ones it means nothing because she'll never sell it. When they spend millions on their yachts that they use 4 times a year it means nothing, a big hole in the water that sucks up money. The fact is that they are successful at making money, how they spend it is not subject to the same terms and conditions of our 401K payroll deductions and investments.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:04 pm

I love the analysis of rich people. It's so often wrong.
Post Reply