Arrogate

Diver52

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:29 pm

Well see, BTW was right. Arrogate DIDN'T repeat his Tracers. :lol:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Treve

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:47 pm

Diver52 wrote:Well see, BTW was right. Arrogate DIDN'T repeat his Tracers. :lol:
Fair I guess ;)
But with back to back 120(+) BSFs as a three year old - who is still very immature looking (physically), I wouldn't be shocked if he hits an other 122BSF and possibly an other sub 2:00 10f again in his career.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BlindLucky

Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:46 pm

If the quote in this article is correct and not just him joking around, he'll have to try to run those numbers in England on the grass.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... story.html

This is more of a letdown to me than some of the losses over the weekend:
Shortly after the Smith-engineered upset was complete, Team Arrogate was asked about whether the newly minted star would compete next year. Garrett O’Rourke, racing manager for Lexington’s Juddmonte Farms, said all signs leaned that direction.

Smith, who called himself “51 years young” walking away the media center, showed the finish-line flames remain robustly fanned during the ensuing exchange.

Baffert: “Yes!”

Smith: “Double yes!”

O’Rourke: “That’s the good news. The bad news is we’re going to bring him to England.”
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:51 pm

There is now no doubt that Arrogate is a tremendous runner, but what about his future as a stallion?
With UBS gone, there aren't going to be many more...or any more...sons like Arrogate. But what does that mean for him as a stallion prospect?
There are dozens of UBS sons out there, like Songandaprayer, Even the Score, Midshipman, Old Fashioned, Dunkirk, Will Take Charge, Mission Impazible, Graydar and Liam's Map, but how have those stallions been doing?
Has Unbridled's Song turned out to be a successful sire-of-sires?
:?:
middleground

Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:55 pm

Would you say that Arrogate is a typical UBS in terms of conformation? I think he's got the trademark good looks you expect from the sire, but I'd also say he's got more scope than may be the norm for the sire. (Oh, and he's faster.)
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Just saw the post before mine...and had a 'what!?' reaction. Run in England? On grass? :shock:
Maybe I'm crazy, but is there anything about the way Arrogate moves that screams, 'I'm a grass horse?' :?
Does that mean he won't be targeting the Pegasus? No Arrogate - 'Chrome rematch? Stronach must have seen flocks of dollars flying out the window when he read that.
Big Ten

Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:10 pm

Arrogate pretty much did what I imagined he would do 2.5 months ago but instead of an Arrogate-to-wire winner, he ran slightly off the pace and won. Thanks to that outside post and Mike learning his lesson from the day prior. So I guess I wasn't wasting time excited about him after his Travers jaw dropper. I just wasn't going to take him at 9-5 to find out if he was a one-hit wonder or not.

I see people complain that Victor lost the race for Chrome because he didn't go to the whip sooner. I say it wouldn't have mattered. Arrogate is the real deal. I know people get bitter when they see horses they root for lose. You can see some Songbird fans disliking the Distaff as well. That's horse racing. My feelings never get deflated for any of them considering Songbird and Chrome were still right there.

Arrogate could be the first horse with the talent and hopefully with future accomplishments to become a TOP 10 all-time great. We have seen John Henry, Alysheba, Easy Goer, Sunday Silence, Holy Bull, Cigar, Skip Away, Curlin, Rachel Alexandra, Zenyatta, Shared Belief, American Pharoah, and California Chrome. I could never say any of them were ever Top 10 all-timers to me. Arrogate has LeBron James potential to be in the highest echelon of greats.

I think Ghostzapper and even Candy Ride had Top 10-talent. But we just never saw enough of them as their resumé was hardly Top 50 ever. The 2016 BC Classic basically is a passing of torch race similar to a 3YO Skip Away defeating a 6YO Cigar in the 1996 JC Gold Cup. Arrogate could be even better than Skip Away as his curve is at least one year ahead of Skip and Ghostzapper's.

Potentially the best horse on dirt during the last 36-37 years. The first to really marry raw talent + accomplishments since Spectacular Bid. Arrogate = Top 10 ever? We'll see..

Secretariat
Spectacular Bid
Dr. Fager
Citation
Kelso
Man o' War
Seattle Slew
Affirmed
Forego

Arrogate, next?
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Flanders

Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Big Ten wrote: Potentially the best horse on dirt during the last 36-37 years. The first to really marry raw talent + accomplishments since Spectacular Bid. Arrogate = Top 10 ever? We'll see..

Secretariat
Spectacular Bid
Dr. Fager
Citation
Kelso
Man o' War
Seattle Slew
Affirmed
Forego

Arrogate, next?
We won't see if they are racing him on the grass in England next year like Juddmonte's manager said.
Quiet Chris

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:42 pm

tcw wrote:A 120 BSF for Arrogate, nearly matching the 122 BSF he received last out.
He is fast with stamina. Rare. But I wonder if he can beat a top miler or even Chrome at 9F. His gift seems to be his stamina but I wonder if he could throw up a 133 mile. It will be interesting next year because many top races are not 10F.
Spahny

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:17 pm

It raises an interesting question. It seems a lot of people have declared Chrome inferior to Arrogate based on a single result; A one half length defeat. I'm not sure I assess it quite that way but assuming it is true and Chrome can't run with Arrogate... Who else in the handicap division can?

Melatonin? Frosted? Hoppertunity or Effinex? Dortmund???

None of them seem to have a chance to even warm Arrogate up. And Chrome is only going to have one more try at him.

Is next year a walk over year for Arrogate?

And I don't think distance will be an issue. He can run his race at 9f just as well as 10.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:48 pm

If Baffert can keep the big grey happy and healthy, we could be looking at a historic year for him in 2017.
It's just UBS's notorious legacy of lower limbs with short shelf lives that might undermine the whole 'healthy' part of the equation.
My hope is, because he got a late start to his racing career and given more time to grow and develop strong bones, he'll have a better chance to stay sound.
Treve

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:55 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If Baffert can keep the big grey happy and healthy, we could be looking at a historic year for him in 2017.
It's just UBS's notorious legacy of lower limbs with short shelf lives that might undermine the whole 'healthy' part of the equation.
My hope is, because he got a late start to his racing career and given more time to grow and develop strong bones, he'll have a better chance to stay sound.
That may be in part why they want to try him on the grass?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Insane Crazy

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:15 pm

I suppose it's worth noting that two of Baffert's previous successful UBS colts, Zensational and The Factor, retired (as far as we know) sound. He apparently knows how to pick 'em. =P
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:17 pm

Zensational was retired at three, right after he finished fifth in the 2009 BC Sprint. He had all of eight races, so perhaps he left the track before that leg warranty ran out? ;) :P
Ummm....The Factor is a War Front.
ThreeMustangs

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:18 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:I suppose it's worth noting that two of Baffert's previous successful UBS colts, Zensational and The Factor, retired (as far as we know) sound. He apparently knows how to pick 'em. =P
The Factor is by War Front...whose offspring are also not notable for their longevity.
Squeaky

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:27 pm

Can anyone comment on Arro's bit? Looks like a ring shaped mouthpiece along with other equipment.
Miss Woodford

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:57 pm

Squeaky wrote:Can anyone comment on Arro's bit? Looks like a ring shaped mouthpiece along with other equipment.
Probably a Dexter ring bit, they're relatively common. The ring applies pressure on the tongue and lower jaw to add stopping power. Big Brown raced in one.
Starine

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:10 am

Arrogate doing well after Classic victory
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ic-victory
Starine

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:28 am

Also, I thought the England thing was a joke. Sure, Juddmonte has shipped several of their runners into uncharted territory --remember Jolypha?-- but I thought they bought this horse specifically to go to Baffert and to have that "presence" in California. And yes I know they lost Flintshire but they've got quite a few promising horses waiting in the wings like Midterm.

But what do I know?
Starine

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:35 am

Arrogate-California Chrome rematch in Pegasus possible
http://www.drf.com/news/arrogate-califo ... s-possible