3 Year old Male

Somnambulist

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Well, I'm sick and have nothing better to do tonight.

Discuss, :twisted:
Miss Woodford

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Will Take Charge

Unless someone does something in the Clark, anyway.
Oldowan

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Yep, Will Take Charge.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Has to be Will Take Charge. Incredible performance.
Tessablue

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:02 pm

Don't think it can be anyone besides Will Take Charge. Any word on whether he'll race next year? I think he'll make a beastly older horse.
sweettalk

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:06 pm

WTC in a fleetwood mac scaled landslide.
larrythek

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Will Take Charge.....Easily
peeptoad

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:29 am

The year's not over yet, though I agree Will Take Charge is probably the frontrunner for the award. Orb is likely the closest competitor and is slated to run in the Cigar Mile. If he should win that, then I can see an argument for the FL Derby- KDerby- Cigar Mile trumping, but I certainly think WTC is the better horse right now. Nobody else is in contention...
Kay16

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:53 am

WTC wins this award. If Orb wins the Cigar Mile, he's 2nd choice, but the voters will be concentrating on that huge effort in the Classic just barely losing to one of the top older horses, and his Travers, PA Derby wins.

WTC literally just keeps getting better. I'm really excited about this horse and hope he continues on this path for next year! I feel like it's been way too long since we've had a 3 year old good enough, and stick around long enough to contend with the top older horses while getting better. Kudos to Wayne Lukas too, having a huge year! I love seeing old timers like him and Gary winning the big ones.
Prairie Bayou

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Will Take Charge wins it. Orb hasn't done enough neither has Verrazano, Palace Malice, Orb or Oxbow. He almost won yesterday.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
jjacks1

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Will Take Charge. That run he made in the Classic was a classic. Also hope he comes back next year - one to watch for sure!
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:01 pm

If Will Take Charge is named 3-yr-old Champion, I'd be thrilled, especially with the premature retirement of his half brother, Take Charge Indy.
mariasmon

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:26 am

I'd give it to Will Take Charge now, even if he doesn't run again this year. A win in the Clark would clinch it. I think both Orb and Verrazano won 2 G1s, while WTC only won 1 (so far). But the very close 2nd in the BCC and his consistent solid form all year makes him the most deserving to me.
Dusty

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:39 am

sweettalk wrote:WTC in a fleetwood mac scaled landslide.

Love thisand WTC - Agreed!
May they run with the WIND
Man o Taz

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 pm

I agree the consensus pick is Will Take Charge, but only because Orb retired.

However, the notion that WTC showed more consistent, solid form all year (or more so than Orb) ignores that in the top three year old races he is 1 for 4..he has a win, an 8th place finish, a 7th place finish and a 10th place finish.

To me that is not consistent at all - unless the consistency being weighed is a negative one.

While Orb is 1 for 4 with a third twice and a fourth.

Orb only in his last race, the Jockey Club Gold Cup (8th) where he chose not to duck horses as WTC did in the Pennsylvania Derby, did finish worse than 4th.

First - 3 times - all graded stakes
Third - 2 times - all graded stakes
Fourth - once
Eighth - once

While Will Take Charge was

First - 4 times - three graded stakes
Second - twice - all graded stakes
Sixth - once
Seventh - once
Eighth - once
Tenth - once

Will Take Charge finished strong and is deserving of the Eclipse award for champion three year old, but no horse was more consistent all year long than Orb - and no horse entered all the top races ducking no one like Orb did. The PA Derby is a duck. Granted - it may have been responsible for setting up WTC for the Breeders Cup Classic - but it was still choosing lesser horses over older and more accomplished three year old horses.

The difference is that Orb had much greater expectations than Will Take Charge all year long.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
dustino140

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:59 pm

It's a sad year if the horse that ran 8th in the Kentucky Derby, 10th in the Belmont, 7th in the Preakness and 6th in the Southwest wins a year-end award by a landslide. Especially if he also lost the Jim Dandy and Breeders' Cup Classic. That Travers/PA Derby/Rebel trifecta is a pretty weak resume, all things considered. The only real difference between him and Orb is the time of the year that they were good.
Prairie Bayou

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:17 pm

dustino140 wrote:It's a sad year if the horse that ran 8th in the Kentucky Derby, 10th in the Belmont, 7th in the Preakness and 6th in the Southwest wins a year-end award by a landslide. Especially if he also lost the Jim Dandy and Breeders' Cup Classic. That Travers/PA Derby/Rebel trifecta is a pretty weak resume, all things considered. The only real difference between him and Orb is the time of the year that they were good.
Not really. I mean this horse is putting it together late. Some horses do that. Plus the horses that won the classic races have done pretty awful (with the exception of Palace Malice) in their later starts this year. Orb has never regained the promise he showed in KY. Oxbow was blown away by Verrazano and had a injury and is retired. PM finished behind WTC twice now. I think the deserving champion is WTC. If PM stepped up and finished ahead of him in the classic there would probably be no question. But he didn't and didn't have an excuse. You could say it was the track bias but WTC came from out of the clouds to win. Didn't seem to bother him.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
dustino140

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:
dustino140 wrote:It's a sad year if the horse that ran 8th in the Kentucky Derby, 10th in the Belmont, 7th in the Preakness and 6th in the Southwest wins a year-end award by a landslide. Especially if he also lost the Jim Dandy and Breeders' Cup Classic. That Travers/PA Derby/Rebel trifecta is a pretty weak resume, all things considered. The only real difference between him and Orb is the time of the year that they were good.
Not really. I mean this horse is putting it together late. Some horses do that. Plus the horses that won the classic races have done pretty awful (with the exception of Palace Malice) in their later starts this year. Orb has never regained the promise he showed in KY. Oxbow was blown away by Verrazano and had a injury and is retired. PM finished behind WTC twice now. I think the deserving champion is WTC. If PM stepped up and finished ahead of him in the classic there would probably be no question. But he didn't and didn't have an excuse. You could say it was the track bias but WTC came from out of the clouds to win. Didn't seem to bother him.
My point is more that it was just a sad example of a 3yo season. Will Take Charge will win the award, but that's only because somebody has to. I think what is lost in the immediate aftermath of the Classic is that a) Will Take Charge lost the Classic, and b) that Will Take Charge is a one-time Grade 1 winner this year. That's the same amount of Grade 1's that Java's War, Overanalyze and Capo Bastone. Yea, he had some nice ancillary wins and seconds, but purely racing at the highest level, he had fewer Grade 1's than did Orb, Goldencents and Verrazano.

If I had a vote, and maybe it's because I'm inherently a contrarian, I'd probably go with Goldencents. His Dirt Mile was, in my opinion, the premier performance of Breeders' Cup weekend and he won or placed in twice as many Grade 1s as Will Take Charge, Oxbow or Verrazano and more than Palace Malice did. Ultimately, though, the real differentiator on Will Take Charge's resume is a losing performance. A nice performance, but a losing one all the same. I guess that's the part that gives me hesitation. Plus Goldencents still could win the Malibu, another Grade 1 race, if they go that route.

And in fairness, Palace Malice also finished ahead of Will Take Charge twice this year.
larrythek

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:46 pm

WTCs Breeders Cup Performance was such an exceptional 2nd and being the 2nd most important race in the U.S. after the Kentucky Derby and the #1 Purse Race in the U.S. that really takes his so-so resume and elevates it past what was a seeming logjam of 3 Y.O.s with holes in all their resumes. Verrazano with a win in the Mile might have been in the discussion and he had classic distance limitations. I'd also put Will Take Charge at 10-1 , 12-1 to take next years classic as he appears to be a quality closer that will tactically have an advantage over Game On Dude who I'd imagine would be at similiar odds to win the classic in 2014....
Miss Woodford

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Will Take Charge is apparently going to run in the Clark. If he wins the 3yo championship is unquestionably his. None of the other candidates have beaten older males.