Breeder's Cup Saturday

gravano

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:57 am

That'd be funny to think Mort Fink is part of some new school thought process, but in some ways he is.

Wise Dan and Zenyatta have one very significant common bond in regards to training -- both of their trainers seem pretty immune to Derby fever. And Derby fever has torn through a lot of good horses. But the fact that a gelding and a mare can become such big stars (regardless of the training being old school or new school) sends a great message that can temper that Derby fever. A lot of fans are getting fed up with a system that overemphasizes and burns up 3YOs because of the "market" (that being the diminished purses of non-3YO races and the economics of the shed). Horses that gain fame that haven't been through this rigor are helping to overcome this system.
Kay16

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:46 pm

gravano wrote:It's been a while for D Wayne. I guess I don't know what you mean when you say he's old school, though he would never lightly race a nice horse.
The current system which emphasizes speed and the 3YO season is something Lukas's success helped create, and his assistants, now successful trainers continue. I don't see that as old school.
I see it as the current school, but I also see a new school developing that allows horse to develop and is trying to look beyond the 3YO season. We've seen that in stars like Zenyatta and Wise Dan.

Lukas doesn't cherry pick races, he doesn't duck competition, he's not afraid to run often and in big races, etc. That's what I mean by old school.

If what you call new school develops and everyone follows it, racing is in trouble. Horse racing is all about (except the betting aspect of course) the excitement of the 2 year olds, and the 3 year olds in races like the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont. Of course it's all about the star horses too, but not all horses need to wait until they are almost 4 (which Wise Dan didn't do) to run and become a star. I'm not sure people realize what they are saying when they think horses shouldn't be running at 2 or 3 like Zenyatta. Wise Dan has been running since February of his 3 year old year. Game on Dude has been running since January of his 3 year old year. They're geldings of course. Mucho Macho Man isn't though, he's been running since 2 years old. Now I'm not sure if you were just saying you see this kind of training becoming more popular or that you think it's the right path.
gravano

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:20 pm

I agree Lukas doesn't duck races. He had an 0-142 streak in stakes races up until last year. He's not afraid to lose and that's great.

But I disagree with you when you say horse racing is all about the Triple Crown.
blamethewinner

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:48 pm

gravano wrote:I agree Lukas doesn't duck races. He had an 0-142 streak in stakes races up until last year. He's not afraid to lose and that's great.

But I disagree with you when you say horse racing is all about the Triple Crown.
No he didn't. He had a 100+ race losing streak in GRADED stakes races between 2009 and 2012 that ended when Hamazing Destiny won the Maryland Sprint Handicap in May of 2012. He won numerous listed stakes races during that time.
gravano

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:58 pm

blamethewinner wrote:
gravano wrote:I agree Lukas doesn't duck races. He had an 0-142 streak in stakes races up until last year. He's not afraid to lose and that's great.

No he didn't. He had a 100+ race losing streak in GRADED stakes races between 2009 and 2012 that ended when Hamazing Destiny won the Maryland Sprint Handicap in May of 2012. He won numerous listed stakes races during that time.
I can go along with 100+ if you like :)
amfuller

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 am

This Breeders Cup video is GREAT!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxSmiqoaBjI
amfuller
amfuller

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Ron the Greek Sold to Overseas Interests

By Claire Novak

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... z2jsnJdzuC
amfuller