The Chrome Crazies

Life At Zen

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:43 pm

After reading a post from canvasjockey on the California Chrome thread, I (unfortunately) discovered the FB page "Bring Chrome Home".

Needless to say, the posts on that page are downright horrifying. The page creator is 21 years old and is 100% convinced Chrome is being abused in England. I didn't want to muck up the already 200+ page thread for CC with this, and I figured it could use it's own discussion. The first post I saw was this:

I saw this picture today of Chrome in England. I'm shaking, is this a real image? If this is actually a true photo, I am horrified. Chrome is bleeding from his mouth. I don't like the look in his eyes either. I'll wait to reserve judgment, since photos can be altered. But not long.
Some of the comments below it are just mindblowing.
Kasey Ryan Well, Aurelia made me aware of this photo. I actually looked at it with two pair of glasses. It KINDA looks like some type of discharge around the mouth. It could be some blood but too difficult to have a good look. What I`m seeing that I DON`T like is the way his coat looks. His mane especially. 80% of it is flat and DULL 20% is just standing up. His eyes are definitely NOT as bright as usual. I would say this is really what he looks like caught off guard or the gorgeous photos are just that. His entire coat appears dull looking..Maybe it`s the photo...Best case scenario. You know what they say about any animal...What is going on internally will usually effect their outer image...Coat or other wise.. Just like a human. When you`re not feeling well it shows on your face... I don`t know.We`ll have to wait, watch, and see...Remember we only know and see what we are allowed to see..The entire picture seems to have a slight haze over it...Don`t panic!! I`m sure he is being monitored if something isn`t right and WE WILL KNOW ABOUT IT...
Bring Chrome Home California Chrome should have been home a long time ago, if this picture disturbs you, it should, it does me too. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be shown. To those who are saying horses bite their tongues all the time, Tell me, when is the last time you saw Chrome in this sort of way when he was in the US?. Have you looked at his eyes in the pic? don't shoot the messenger, if you only want to see Chrome running through English country sides, & want to believe everything you hear about how cushy his life is now, thats your decision. Mine is to make certain Chromes American fans get the facts behind all of this. I know Bring Chrome Home has its enemies, thats not a concern of mine, what concerns me is the care Chrome is getting in England is the same as any other typical European race horse. THATS the problem, he is not just your average race horse, be it European or American. This has got to stop, & they need to Bring Chrome Home. I think its important we continue to use his full name California Chrome as often as possible.
Even when Rae Guest addressed the photo and said that they worked Chrome in a tongue tie and he managed to bite his tongue, that explanation wasn't good enough.
Bring Chrome Home Thank you Christina, Im still worried, his rider looks oblivious to the injury, & the look in Chromes eyes kills me
Bring Chrome Home Perry Martin took control of Chrome to break his spirit and forget what it felt like to love & be loved. I felt that as soon as it became obvious no one who loved him was going over to England to visit, Its not because they didnt want to, its because they were'nt allowed to.
And GOD FORBID a horse SCRATCHES himself...

Kerri Farrands One thing is certain. Chrome has scratches on his hocks. He NEVER had scratches when he was in the care of his U.S. Team.
Diane Popnick I am sick.over this!!! He was cared for so.well at Los Alamitos. He needs Raul asap. No.one compares to the home team. How could Martin.allow this?????
I'm sorry but this just makes me ill. I can't believe people actually think this way...
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
LostADream

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:49 pm

I, too, looked at this FB page after reading that post mentioning it, out of sheer morbid curiosity. I thought the Zenyatta fans were crazy, but these people take it to a new level. I had to force myself away after spending a few minutes reading the comments, as I felt my IQ draining. Wow, just wow.
Life At Zen

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:52 pm

LostADream wrote:I, too, looked at this FB page after reading that post mentioning it, out of sheer morbid curiosity. I thought the Zenyatta fans were crazy, but these people take it to a new level. I had to force myself away after spending a few minutes reading the comments, as I felt my IQ draining. Wow, just wow.
It makes the Zenyatta crazies look normal! Which is saying a lot.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Somnambulist

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Something to be thankful for. Makes me feel better about myself.
BlindLucky

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:08 pm

You know I love a good train wreck, but that page... geez. Not helped by the fact that the admin of that page doesn't know anything about racing.

There's stuff on there about American Pharoah (since Espinoza is the jockey, of course), with the admin asking, "Will Victor practice ride him before race day?" Um, okay. With someone else saying that "it looks like AP's been breezing every day. I don't think they will send him out fast until race day. That's a lot for a horse."

Is there an emoticon for *head desk*?

ETA: A lot of the more reasonable comments don't show up anymore, only the knee-jerk "OMG HE'S GOING TO DIE, HE'S BEING ABUSED" posts are present because they've blocked anyone who tries to explain anything with a level head.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Insane Crazy

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Wooooooow.

Lol, though, at the same time. "This subpar desaturated cell phone photo DEFINITELY shows how dull and nasty his coat is! His mane is standing up! THE HUMANITY."
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Somnambulist

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:Wooooooow.

Lol, though, at the same time. "This subpar desaturated cell phone photo DEFINITELY shows how dull and nasty his coat is! His mane is standing up! THE HUMANITY."
The best part is the ghetto ass Paint job that someone did with the photo of drunk owner and Chrome superimposed on the grass saying how he'd give anything to be home again. Or the part where Chrome's favorite activity is bathing and there are NO bath photos. Serious abuse. They're prepping him for the BK now.

Hold the lettuce on mine please.
Rainyday

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:47 pm

Can I just say that I've been to both California and England in the past six weeks (all my vacations got crammed together), and, given the choice, at this time of year, I'd always pick England? Especially if I was a horse. (Sorry Californians.) There's something wonderful about the English countryside in spring.

People are insane.
CoronadosQuest

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Wow I was just reading the post on that page about if Chrome fans should cheer for American Pharoah in the TC. Most of the comments are mind blowing... wow.
BlindLucky

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Somnambulist wrote:The best part is the ghetto ass Paint job that someone did with the photo of drunk owner and Chrome superimposed on the grass saying how he'd give anything to be home again. Or the part where Chrome's favorite activity is bathing and there are NO bath photos. Serious abuse. They're prepping him for the BK now.

Hold the lettuce on mine please.
There's one bath picture the admin posted to show how much he loves getting a sponge of water over his head, except... it's not California Chrome, it's I'll Have Another.
Izvestia

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:02 pm

I am convinced these people a) do not own horses, b) do not know much about horses, and c) have not seen a horse in person.
Charlie

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:00 pm

BlindLucky wrote:You know I love a good train wreck, but that page... geez. Not helped by the fact that the admin of that page doesn't know anything about racing.

There's stuff on there about American Pharoah (since Espinoza is the jockey, of course), with the admin asking, "Will Victor practice ride him before race day?" Um, okay. With someone else saying that "it looks like AP's been breezing every day. I don't think they will send him out fast until race day. That's a lot for a horse."

Is there an emoticon for *head desk*?

ETA: A lot of the more reasonable comments don't show up anymore, only the knee-jerk "OMG HE'S GOING TO DIE, HE'S BEING ABUSED" posts are present because they've blocked anyone who tries to explain anything with a level head.
She loves to delete post that disagree with her, even if they are polite and all. She deleted my post when I corrected some facts she got wrong and then spend two full post trying to insult me..

That page makes my head hurt it is so pathetic. Every now and then I'll read it for the laugh, but then it quickly just aggravates me and I close it out.
canvasjockey

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:43 pm

OMG - so sorry for exposing you guys to the madness, lol, but it's nice to not be alone in my horror :D .

This image represents the group's off the rails mentality well all by itself...
Carole ~ Equine Artist
Website/Blog - Facebook - Prints and Originals on Etsy & Fine Art America

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields</div>
serenassong

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:56 am

Izvestia wrote:I am convinced these people a) do not own horses, b) do not know much about horses, and c) have not seen a horse in person.
Ding! Ding! Ding!
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
BlindLucky

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:01 am

serenassong wrote:
Izvestia wrote:I am convinced these people a) do not own horses, b) do not know much about horses, and c) have not seen a horse in person.
Ding! Ding! Ding!
There's one poster whose profile says she is a "self employed thourbred trainer". I'm guessing her thourbred training business is pretty slow.
djnorth

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:51 am

Izvestia,

Great list but you forgot 4) Are dead-set against changing their opinions in light of photos, videos, statistics, eyewitness accounts, recorded history or other forms of evidence.
BlindLucky

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:55 am

My morning coffee and a conversation of crazies. One person made me laugh, and the rest jumped on her, not even knowing why... :lol:

See, now that someone has pointed this page out to me, I can't stop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Laura Lutz: Guys I'm sorry, I don't think he'll be back. He's gone the way of Steven Cauthen.

Bertha Alice Galvan: Laura Lutz what makes you say that? Do you have it in writing? Who is Steve Vaughan? Just curious how you know so much.

Bring Chrome Home: who is steven cauthen?

Bertha Alice Galvan: I don't know who he is that's why I was asking Laura. I thought maybe she had the inside scoop. She said CC not coming back but in the ? Steve cauthen?
the olline rebel

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:01 pm

Life At Zen wrote:I'm sorry but this just makes me ill. I can't believe people actually think this way...
I do.

It's the PETA mentality taking over all rational thought. God forbid one even looks at an animal the wrong way.
islandgirl45

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Oh, Lord, that Facebook page is nuts.

And, would you believe there is a Change.org petition, too?
https://www.change.org/p/california-chr ... hrome-home
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
serenassong

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:33 pm

islandgirl45 wrote:Oh, Lord, that Facebook page is nuts.

And, would you believe there is a Change.org petition, too?
https://www.change.org/p/california-chr ... hrome-home
Just goes to show anyone can do a petition over there. If these people were in a zoo, it would be the monkey house and they would be having a S$%T fight. :lol:

I have tried in the past to educate and makes some of these nuts understand, but it is a losing battle. Zennys, Chromies and FOB's. Wait until the Taco heads appear :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars