Santa Anita Derby (G1)

Ioya Two

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:53 pm

Actually doesn't look that big on TV, lol. This race a shade over a second faster than the Bluegrass, FWIW.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Matt Converse

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Funny how Firing line and Dortmund are winning so easy now.
peeptoad

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Dortmund pretty much got everything his own way, but he'll still probably go as the fav or 2nd choice in KY. No bueno on Bolo or Prospect Park
Ballerina

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Dortmund undefeated and a son of Big Brown - I couldn't be happier.
arkle

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Interesting that the real Bayern beat the real Dortmund today.
Tessablue

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Can somebody PLEASE pressure one of these Baffert horses early? Seriously.
You'll get it in a few weeks. Probably.
With One Lucky Dane getting the points, he could be his one worst enemy in a month. I mean, I'm not too worried about Dortmund having to rate- he kind of had to go to the lead today although I didn't love how he pulled a bit with a horse outside him early. Just wish we'd seen him face some adversity beforehand, especially given what his price is likely to be.

Really nice horse, though.

EDIT: augh I wish I could unread this.
@SteveHaskin
If Zenyatta ran on the lead.......
Somnambulist

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Can somebody PLEASE pressure one of these Baffert horses early? Seriously.
You'll get it in a few weeks. Probably.
With One Lucky Dane getting the points, he could be his one worst enemy in a month. I mean, I'm not too worried about Dortmund having to rate- he kind of had to go to the lead today although I didn't love how he pulled a bit with a horse outside him early. Just wish we'd seen him face some adversity beforehand, especially given what his price is likely to be.

Really nice horse, though.
I think you've got him handling adversity in that last race with Firing Line. FL passed him on the outside, and Dortmund came back on the inside. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen horses do that. He's shown some ability to either rate, be on the pace, and still pull off a head-to head stretch run. I didn't like how he didn't seem to "spurt" in the stretch but he never really has done that.

I'm hearing disgustingly good things about how AP is training. I don't exactly hate Dortmund for the Derby at this point because I think the class of the top 5 in this crop are leagues about the rest, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what AP turns in next weekend.
Last edited by Somnambulist on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kay16

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:04 pm

Kudos to us who didn't over look One Lucky Dane lol :P
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:04 pm

"Can somebody PLEASE pressure one of these Baffert horses early? Seriously."

I'm pretty sure One Lucky Dane (who, to be fair, IS one of the Baffert horses, lol) was trying to pressure Dortmund from the backstretch on. His rider was scrubbing and pushing the Lookin At Lucky colt trying to draw even with the Big Red Bus...who just seemed to lengthen his stride a bit and shrug off OLD like he was some unlucky, overmatched morning workmate.
I wonder if some of the horses running fruitlessly in Dortmund's wake will need to find very soft landing spots in their next outs to get a little confidence back?
Tessablue

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Somnambulist wrote: I think you've got him handling adversity in that last race with Firing Line. FL passed him on the outside, and Dortmund came back on the inside. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen horses do that. I don't like how he got everything he was today, but he's shown some ability to either rate, be on the pace, and still pull off a head-to head stretch run. I didn't like how he didn't seem to "spurt" in the stretch but he never really has done that.

I'm hearing disgustingly good things about how AP is training. I don't exactly hate Dortmund for the Derby at this point because I think the class of the top 5 in this crop are leagues about the rest, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what AP turns in next weekend.
I need to rewatch that Firing Line race but I remember looking at the Trakus splits and Firing Line ran amazingly slow in that last eighth, so I'm a little leery of that one- not that it isn't admirable that he kept coming back along the rail. I mean more in terms of early trip- good horses make good trips so it's a bit of a circular argument, but I don't know how I feel about him facing a 20 horse field.

AP vs. Dortmund could be a really fun story if next week goes the way it should. Maybe less fun than it could be given the connections, but can't complain about a good crop.
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"Can somebody PLEASE pressure one of these Baffert horses early? Seriously."

I'm pretty sure One Lucky Dane (who, to be fair, IS one of the Baffert horses, lol) was trying to pressure Dortmund from the backstretch on. His rider was scrubbing and pushing the Lookin At Lucky colt trying to draw even with the Big Red Bus...who just seemed to lengthen his stride a bit and shrug off OLD like he was some unlucky, overmatched morning workmate.
I wonder if some of the horses running fruitlessly in Dortmund's wake will need to find very soft landing spots in their next outs to get a little confidence back?
Fair point, but what does it say about the race that One Lucky Dane still got second? The rest of the field looked surprisingly bad in the stretch given what a competitive race it was thought to be going in.

Speaking of, what are people's thoughts on Bolo and Prospect Park?
Kay16

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Somnambulist wrote: I think you've got him handling adversity in that last race with Firing Line. FL passed him on the outside, and Dortmund came back on the inside. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen horses do that. I don't like how he got everything he was today, but he's shown some ability to either rate, be on the pace, and still pull off a head-to head stretch run. I didn't like how he didn't seem to "spurt" in the stretch but he never really has done that.

Agree completely. I've read that word around the barn is and even though Baffert won't publicly say it, as good as Dortmund is, AP is the one they are really excited about. We'll see, horses prove us wrong all the time. But I know I'm really excited about AP. Hope he's as good as he looks. He's even fun to watch train.

I'm not surprised by anything in this race, I think Dortmund won as he should have and he's already proven better than these horses (except One Lucky Dane) before this.
Somnambulist

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Tessablue wrote: Speaking of, what are people's thoughts on Bolo and Prospect Park?
If I have any they aren't good ones.
islandgirl45

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:14 pm

Tessablue wrote:EDIT: augh I wish I could unread this.
@SteveHaskin
If Zenyatta ran on the lead.......
Surely he meant it as only a comparison of Dortmund's size to Z's?
That's how I read it, anyway.
Last edited by islandgirl45 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
swale1984

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:15 pm

I have no idea what Mike was doing with Bolo. Wide pretty much the whole race, way off the pace (he's more of a stalking type), and late starting his run with that pace,and pretty much blew the final turn. Idk what was going on because Bolo didnt seem to be fighting him and didnt seem to be struggling either. Just a strange ride from a guy who should know how to ride that horse.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:21 pm

"...what are people's thoughts on Bolo and Prospect Park?"

They're nice colts, but not Derby level. I don't think either has the points to get in now, anyway.
Maybe Bolo can be pointed back to the grass, where I think he will do pretty well.
Kay16

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:24 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"...what are people's thoughts on Bolo and Prospect Park?"

They're nice colts, but not Derby level. I don't think either has the points to get in now, anyway.
Maybe Bolo can be pointed back to the grass, where I think he will do pretty well.
He's a better grass horse.
tcw

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Bolo likely has the points to get in.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:42 pm

I haven't watched all of Dortmunds races. He's obviously very good (duh), but something's missing for me. I never saw him lowered to the ground giving it all he had and more or exploding on top of the stretch, or re-breaking when challenged.

Edit: Nvm forgot about the race where Firing Line passed him and he came back to win!
Izvestia

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Kurenai wrote:I haven't watched all of Dortmunds races. He's obviously very good (duh), but something's missing for me. I never saw him lowered to the ground giving it all he had and more or exploding on top of the stretch, or re-breaking when challenged.

Edit: Nvm forgot about the race where Firing Line passed him and he came back to win!
I hate the way he moves, something stiff about him. I can't figure it out. Might be that he is big and lumbering in a quick way.
He dominated them. Bolo should go back to the grass.
I'd like to know who Baffert truly thinks is better between Dortmoose and AP.
Insane Crazy

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Kurenai wrote:I haven't watched all of Dortmunds races. He's obviously very good (duh), but something's missing for me. I never saw him lowered to the ground giving it all he had and more or exploding on top of the stretch, or re-breaking when challenged.

It's hard for me to think of Dortmund ever getting "low to the ground" since his movement is so classically HUGE. He makes me think of some monster warmbloods I've known with that lumbering stride. :D

I was driving when this race ran and I am THRILLED. Love this big dude, and love how class is holding so well this year. The Derby is going to be wild.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!