Mubtaahij

Vandalay

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:24 am

Was very impressive in his UAE derby win, and his connections say he's headed for Louisville,..he certainly looked like the distance wont bother him, tour thoughts?
MTO

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:35 am

Very impressive for Mubtaahij.

I hope Maftool goes to the KY Derby also. He broke badly and raced wide in the UAE Derby, so did well to get up for 2nd given the circumstances. Would be nice to see Hard Spun(Maftool's sire) have a KY Derby contender.
dustino140

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:39 am

12/1 - 15/1 Derby horse the way the field looks now, IMO. Probably your 5th or 6th choice.

Maftool would need to be 75/1, if not higher.
Tessablue

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:41 am

1) He's my ideal Derby horse. No doubts about distance, conditioning, running style, toughness, or ability to handle dirt and kickback. There is a lot of hype around him right now, but by Derby day the Dubai angle- coupled with a strong local contingent- will likely inflate his odds to irresistible levels. If you like this horse, you're going to have a field day with 10-1 at the very lowest.

2) I don't think he bears much comparison to UAE Derby runners from the past- most of those were Godolphin reaches who were campaigned specifically to win the UAE Derby and then sent to the KY Derby regardless of their chances. This horse is a real warrior- essentially five starts already this year (broke his maiden on 12/31), improving with every out- and convinced his trainer that he deserved a shot.

3) deKock in the Kentucky Derby is going to be awesome.
Admin

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:35 pm

What does "mubtaahij" mean, if anything?

Looked impressive but against...... ? I didn't think the second place horse looked comfortable going by the first time, and he was feeling the whip before the turn it looked. Then he changed leads very late. Just not sure the winner beat much.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Northport

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:42 pm

Mubtaahij means "cheery" in Arabic
weeeeeeeee
Tessablue

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:46 pm

Admin wrote:What does "mubtaahij" mean, if anything?

Looked impressive but against...... ? I didn't think the second place horse looked comfortable going by the first time, and he was feeling the whip before the turn it looked. Then he changed leads very late. Just not sure the winner beat much.
It means cheery or elated.

I understand the reservations about the field, but this was considered among the most competitive UAE Derbies going in- Maftool is a nice horse though more of a miler who likely benefited from the early pace, Golden Barrows was called one of the the best young Japanese dirt horses ever, and Sir Fever- who had a miserable trip today but was beaten on the square by Mubtaahij last out- was an undefeated Triple Crown winner in Uruguay. It's very hard to say before anyone runs back, but the field wasn't bad and Mubtaahij's long margins (backed up by his below-par times), plus the comments from his trainer, indicate that's he's really a top-quality horse. Very glad that we'll get a chance to see how he stacks up.
tcw

Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Mubtaahij's sire is also the sire of Prince Bishop, who just won the 10f DWC.
Matt Converse

Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:09 pm

I've tossed most in the past coming in off this race but not so sure about this one. Not sure what he beat but damn he looked good. And unlike the usual "and he could have gone faster", this one actually could have, he wasn't just coasting at the end, he was eased. It's so hard to judge this race but at 10-1 to 15-1 he'll be on some of my tickets.
BlindLucky

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Matt Converse wrote:I've tossed most in the past coming in off this race but not so sure about this one. Not sure what he beat but damn he looked good. And unlike the usual "and he could have gone faster", this one actually could have, he wasn't just coasting at the end, he was eased. It's so hard to judge this race but at 10-1 to 15-1 he'll be on some of my tickets.
And his time looked slow (1:58.35 for 1900 meters, or 1 3/16). But their track record is 1:58:24 for that distance.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Somnambulist

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:51 pm

He probably beat nothing, but you do not see a turn of foot like that every day. Holy shit.
tcw

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:01 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
Matt Converse wrote:I've tossed most in the past coming in off this race but not so sure about this one. Not sure what he beat but damn he looked good. And unlike the usual "and he could have gone faster", this one actually could have, he wasn't just coasting at the end, he was eased. It's so hard to judge this race but at 10-1 to 15-1 he'll be on some of my tickets.
And his time looked slow (1:58.35 for 1900 meters, or 1 3/16). But their track record is 1:58:24 for that distance.
How many races have they run at 9.5f since the surface was replaced with dirt... the track record piece aside, it's apparently a deep surface and although he likely didn't beat much in here (he has no control over who he's facing), he nonetheless defeated them the way a good horse should and looked like he could have kept going had his jockey not eased him late in the stretch. Btw, his sire also sired today's 10f DWC winner.
Tessablue

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:41 pm

Mubtaahij is getting absolutely hammered in the Derby futures, 7-1 right now and third in the wagering. None of the other winners today have budged much. Good thing American Pharoah is going to walk in the AK Derby...

Oh and I recall reading that today's UAE Derby was the... 12th? race at the distance so far. Track record was set in an G2 for older horses, runner up by a head in that race was none other than Prince Bishop.
Somnambulist

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Tessablue wrote:Mubtaahij is getting absolutely hammered in the Derby futures, 7-1 right now and third in the wagering. None of the other winners today have budged much. Good thing American Pharoah is going to walk in the AK Derby...

Oh and I recall reading that today's UAE Derby was the... 12th? race at the distance so far. Track record was set in an G2 for older horses, runner up by a head in that race was none other than Prince Bishop.
So clearly, he's better than Chrome and could challenge Shared Belief.

Bring him over.
Matt Converse

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:54 pm

Somnambulist wrote:He probably beat nothing, but you do not see a turn of foot like that every day. Holy shit.
That's what got me too that turn of foot. He still third part way down the stretch and then all of the sudden he was gone.
Somnambulist

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:54 pm

Matt Converse wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:He probably beat nothing, but you do not see a turn of foot like that every day. Holy shit.
That's what got me too that turn of foot. He still third part way down the stretch and then all of the sudden he was gone.
Literally you blinked and crazy things happened within the blink. It was incredibly fun to watch.

I didn't watch it live, but heard it was great and scoffed at some horse winning this race that impressively. I was wrong.
Northport

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Pat Cummings tweeted about an hour after the UAE Derby that Mubtaahij is already booked on a flight to the US in about two weeks. He will be staying at Churchill (duh) as he trains up to the Derby. I think he beat a pretty decent field, but I like him even more after watching the preps this afternoon in the US. Most of the horses so far have been staggering home as the races get longer, but Mubtaahij looks like he relished the step up in trip.
weeeeeeeee
Horsebagger

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Northport wrote:Pat Cummings tweeted about an hour after the UAE Derby that Mubtaahij is already booked on a flight to the US in about two weeks. He will be staying at Churchill (duh) as he trains up to the Derby. I think he beat a pretty decent field, but I like him even more after watching the preps this afternoon in the US. Most of the horses so far have been staggering home as the races get longer, but Mubtaahij looks like he relished the step up in trip.
Did he place his order with the stewards at Churchill for the perfect trip he got today?
Somnambulist

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Northport wrote:Pat Cummings tweeted about an hour after the UAE Derby that Mubtaahij is already booked on a flight to the US in about two weeks. He will be staying at Churchill (duh) as he trains up to the Derby. I think he beat a pretty decent field, but I like him even more after watching the preps this afternoon in the US. Most of the horses so far have been staggering home as the races get longer, but Mubtaahij looks like he relished the step up in trip.
Did he place his order with the stewards at Churchill for the perfect trip he got today?
He did get a perfect trip, but he did explode. I don't handicap races in advance, so forget the Derby, but it was the way you would want him to win today.
ElPrado2

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Don't argue with him, Som. He's determined to hate the horse.